Would Greece do better as a state or territory of the US?

You will, a lot, if the question of PR statehood ever comes up for serious discussion in the mainland U.S. (It is always a subject of serious discussion in PR, their three main political parties are defined by being pro-statehood, pro-independence, or pro-status-quo.)

Not too sure about Greece becoming a US territory, or state; but I think annexing, or even outright buying Baja Sur, and Baja Norte is something that everyone involved would benefit from. Especially those of us who live in any of the states that border Mexico.

All that beach front real estate and the military command it would afford us strategically would itself make the deal worthwhile. Lots of other reasons but not to take this thread too far off topic I’ll save it for the appropriate debate but had to throw it in here because I’m so pro Baja annex.

Visiting Greece for first time this summer to visit a cousin and Aunt who live in Athens and have a winter flat on Corfu. It is a beautiful and ancient place I can’t wait to explore.

Why would we consider taking on such debt from any country witout resources to compensate our dollars spent to salvage such a mess. Several of our own states are in as bad of shape and no help for their poor business practices so why Greece?

blinks

At the risk of further hijack, I don’t get this:

(1) You claim that people int he US are afraid that Puero Rico will not anglicize, although given that English seems to be pretty common there anyway, I’m not sure what else would really be needed anyway.

(2) I respond saying that, to my experience, I’ve never met anyone, anywhere, on any occaision when it’s been dicussed, who brought this up, or frankly had any problem with Puerto Rico applying for statehood. I can’t claim this is a scientific survey, but at least I’ve given my experience, probably with a couple hundred people counting old school assignments/roundtables/etc, and have never once heard the opinion you describe. The closest thing I’ve heard was a mild annoyance with Puerto Rico fence-sitting on the issue indefinitely.

(3) You then reply with, “Oh, it might possibly perhaps one day BECOME an issue!”

(4) I go “WTF?” and write this.

Please, explain: who is saying this and where? Does this respresent a viewpoint of any significance, or just some pundit I’ve never heard of (pretty much all of them)? Does this, in your opinion, represent the views of an identifiable class or group? The only related question I’ve ever heard was wondering if P.R. would go officially dual-language, or not, to which nobody could recall or cared to look up whether it was or wasn’t already.

The EU has structural development funds, which Greece (& Spain, Ireland, etc.) has benefitted immensely from. Greece receives about 4 billion euro a year. In addition there are the farm subsidies which the older EU nations are also unfairly receiving a lion’s share of.