Would mace work on a snake?

What does this do? Break its neck? Stun it? Slice it in two?

Wow, that was polite. I’d rather use a walking stick if I’m that concerned about snakes. Can be effective in tall grasses or moving dead wood before picking it up for a camp fire. It also comes in handy for just plain hiking. You also forgot to quote the part about wearing appropriate clothing.

I thought the mouthwash segment I quoted made it pretty plain that it was meant for disengaging a snake, that’s why I was dubious about using it as a spray. Why did I mention it at all? It’s something I would choose over mace/pepper spray. Did I advocate using it? No. You may have needed a justification for taking grain alcohol on a camping trip, but it wasn’t my first choice.

Gee, cichlidiot, I didn’t mean to refute anything in your post. I was just joking around. I’m sorry if that came across as impolite.

See, you were actually providing useful information and I was just trying to be funny. Key word: trying.

I’ll just head back to MPSIMS now…

-Peace

Kudos to Cichlidiot for “trying” to keep this thread serious and informative, but I appreciated your post, heresiarch. As an added tip for backpackers, overproof rum can be carried in Nalgene laboratory bottles and is tolerable mixed with powdered grapefruit Tang. This is especially important to carry along in the Rockies high country during the summer months when you’re likely to be stuck in the tent for long periods of time during rainstorms. Be sure to zip up the door so you don’t have to waste any on snakes.

Closing this thread at the request of the OP.