Would this bother you? (Medical letter)

I can’t recall getting any personal reminder or prompt from the federal (US) government - someone will chime in if they have - so they’ve avoided my wrath :slight_smile:
There’s plenty of public awareness campaigns and such, though, which is fine by me.
I can’t think of any circumstances (in the US) outside of the justice system or the military where one might be forced to get a medical test/procedure, with the exceptions of vaccinations for public school, but I’m not the best one to ask.

:dubious::eek::smiley:

I agree

I get them from my vet for the animals, for my OB/GYN reminding me to get my mammogram, one for my PAP, I get one from my dentist for my fangs, one from my PCP for an annual wellness exam, and I schedule my endocrinologist twice a year, while I am at them for the previous appointment, and I book my cardiologist appointments while I am already in the office as well.

I do actually get assorted mailings from Tri-Care about diabetic wellness, female wellness and such, and mrAru gets some sort of mailings as well but I don’t bother reading his.

:confused: Is that a standard practice for all young adult females in Canada, getting a yearly mammogram? At what age do they encourage your first visit? Unless there are extenuating circumstances that seems a little overboard imo…

I guess the TriCare mailings count as being from the “government”, that’s the military health care system, right?

If the OP wants to count phone calls, what’s really getting intrusive is the insurance companies’ wanting group members to share health information direclty with them. For instance, you pay a lower premium if you agree to see a “consultant” and meet certain health goals. If you don’t sign up for that option they still call and invite you to consult with them. And there’s mailings all the time. Unfortunately, I’ll be joining up on the same plan soon, but I’lll be paying more just to protect my privacy.

The reminder doesn’t bother me at all. FYI Quebec doesn’t send such letters. But my wife gets a mammogram every two years.

Okay, pretend that the OP is the same, but I do have to make a clarification. I’m used to the generic purple letter so I didn’t actually read it when I got mine this week (which is what prompted the thread). The one I got was actually from the cervical cancer association telling me to get a pap smear. I might have confused this letter with the purple mammogram one my mother gets. But the point still stands - my point was not the type of condition it was, but that the government was sending the reminders.

Huh, I lived in Saskatchewan when I was growing up, but I left before 18 so I guess I never knew this. Where I live now (Maritimes), we don’t get any reminders like this. Also, I see my doctor regularly and he’s never suggested that I get a mammogram. It seems really odd to me that they’d start them so much earlier in one part of the country than in others.

Sorry, I know that’s a tangent to your OP, and obviously you don’t make the rules, it just seems weird.

I think the difference between my doctor and the government sending me reminders is that I have selected my doctor. If I don’t want him to send me stuff I can tell him so or stop using his services. A couple of people have used the phase “nagging campaign” and I like that. Where does it stop? Anti-smoking? Diet advice (how fun would a government run “hey fatso!” campaign be)? This is not the role of the US government.

The government has real problems to deal with and reminding every single person of some suggested medical procedure in the hopes of getting maybe 1% or 2% increased participation is overkill. There isn’t even 100% agreement on the need for tests like mammograms, or the appropriate ages anyway.

Yeah, in Canada the government is the healthcare provider, so a reminder is appropriate - from that branch of the government. When Uncle Sam starts picking up the tab for the tests and the consequences when I don’t test, I will be more understanding.