Would You Buy a House in Which a Murder Had Occurred?

People who want tours of the murder scene could get one for a fee, and help offset my mortgage. Win win.

Female. If it wasn’t too famous, as others have said, and of course as long as everything was well cleaned up, it probably wouldn’t bother me. I just went shopping in our Target, where someone was murdered less than two weeks ago. At first I wondered how it would feel to be in there again, but it was quite easy to just get into the normal routine of life. I imagine it would be the same with a house.

Also, I would be interested in the motivations for the crime and whether the killer was caught, for obvious reasons. One reason Target feels a-OK is that the perp offed himself - no chance of a return visit.

The last time I bought a previously owned house in Texas there was a disclosure of any “unnatural” deaths in the house (there weren’t any). I did know a couple who bought a house not long after the home owner was murdered there. In a bizarro “coincidence”, one spouse committed “suicide” right in front of the other spouse. I moved away and don’t know how or if they were able to sell that house with two unnatural deaths back to back like that. I don’t think I would want to buy a murder–suicide house. Too much bad juju for me.

I’d do it after negotiating hard on the price.

Even a famous murder wouldn’t deter me I’m already thinking of the Halloween display I’d put on it would be very easy to turn something like that into a haunted house once a year and make kids wet themselves.

I would, I think that it would be cool if it was actually haunted.

Why not?

I used to live in thisguy’s apartment. No one would rent it until I came along.
$300 for a 2br/2ba townhouse in 1984 was just right for a 21yo kid.

I stopped telling girls about it after they refused to come over…

And if there are still splatters on the wall, that’s an extra couple of bucks on the ticket price right there!

Towards the bottom of this page is the ‘Here and now Radio’ story on these houses

http://www.hereandnow.org/2010/06/rundown-68/#5

There is also this link to some pics of wonderful houses.

http://photo.newsweek.com/content/photo/2009/7/photos-does-murder-devalue-real-estate.html
I’d have no issues living in such houses but would hesitate to buy one considering how difficult it can be to resell them.

Assuming the murder in question did not occur because the house was in a high-crime district, sure.

The owner’s husband died in the bedroom of our first house. Who cares? Although I might use it to get a break on price.

Regards,
Shodan

There’s a house that’s been sitting empty for 2 years in the town I live in. A father bludgeoned his 4 kids and wife to death with a bat, then killed himself.

They might end up tearing the place down… I sure as hell wouldn’t live there.

Male - Of course I would. I never had the death phobia that many people have. I recall in one of Janet Evanovich’s novels, the heroine, Stephanie has a couch and someone is murdered on the couch. Then she has to get rid of it 'cause now the couch has “death cooties”

Nope. I know it’s illogical, but it would creep me out. Nope, nope, nope.

(Female)

A person dying from cancer or old age is different from a murder.

I’m male and I would be hesitant with a murder house.
Imagine if the murder took place in a frequently used part of the house.
I would keep imagining what happened.

What if the murderer is still free? and if that person has some weird desire to come back and relive the moment?

Sure, I see no reason why not to.

Actually one amendment, the blood and gore have to have been cleaned up and repaired. I don’t fancy a hazmat issue before I move in!

I have actually been past the Amityville house, back in the 80s when I had a long island boyfriend who lived in the area. The area is OK, and the swimming pool, boathouse, largeish yard and canal access are all bonus points though realistically I have no actual interest in moving to Long Island, or anywhere in the NY metropolitan area. If it were moved to Connecticut, somewhere on the LI Sound, I would have no problem in moving in there.

I have seen more recent pictures of the Clutter farmhouse, back when it was on the market. It was very nice - the kitchen and bathrooms had been modernized. It was actually a custom build house when new, and considered exceptionally nice back then. If you didn’t know the history, it would be a fantastic place for a family.

And that is a fantastic picture of the redone Amityville Horror house. Though I still liked the halfmoon windows from before. I would so try and put my computers and TV/hangout room in that windowed room at the back of the house overlooking the back yard.

I don’t believe in ghosts but I’ve got a really overactive imagination that I’m sure would fuck with me if I knew that a person had been murdered in my house.

Yeah, I probably wouldn’t care.

Single woman: It depends on how the house “felt.” I just bought a 260 year old house last year and while I don’t know if anyone was murdered there (maybe, it was seized under RICO 15 years ago), I’m sure plenty of folks have died in it over there years (and were buried in the back yard!). I must have looked at 30 houses before I bought this one. Several of them just had a bad feeling to them (IMO) so they were eliminated immediately. One felt so bad that I turned around and walked right out despite it having been at the top of my list (My realtor felt the same way - perhaps we fed each other’s insanity…). The minute I walked into the house I bought, I knew it was “the one” despite it having some problems. (70’s bathrooms!) And while there has been some unusual activity (let the mocking commence!), I absolutely love it and feel very comfortable in it.

Depends - My husband died of cancer in my home. I still live here, no problem. Most people with a terminal illness want to die at home, so I don’t think that’s uncommon.

Now, a house with this type of history?? No way!!!

It’s funny - there was a story in my local newspaper last week about a house in the area. The owner had been murdered by a family member, house was put on the market, sold to a new owner. When the new owner found out about it, he was very upset and tried to void the sale, but it was a legal sale and held. (I guess in our state they don’t have to disclose unless you specifically ask).

Two years later, new owner is found murdered in the house :eek:

I don’t think I would have a problem with one murder, esp. if the price were reduced, but don’t think I could handle two.