Would you buy a stickshift car in 2022?

Just awful. My 2001 was a great car and with the manual I put over 210,000 miles on the original clutch. And this is with a lot of driving in the hills of San Francisco.

They are scum sucking thieves.

Hell yes I would.

If I have my choice, which one day (perhaps sooner rather than later) I won’t, I’d never drive anything but a manual ever again. As it is my current car is a manual, as was my last one. When I search cars for sale I filter for manuals only.

It’s what I like, it’s what I want. I loathe the total lack of involvement in automatic cars and I always have.

All of my cars until the current one have been manual. I needed one during all the supply chain issues and couldn’t find one so I went with an automatic. I do miss it and maybe I’ll go back for my next car.

Auto’s bug me because of all the mountain driving I do. But they are OK. I’ve had 3 automatics and 4 manual transmissions.

I don’t really care.

I’m not a pilot, but the the most important thing is to fly the plane or to drive the car. Don’t worry about gages and such. Sometimes you just need to look out the windows. That’s where your real information is.

Gages and different gears a useless if you corkscrew into the ground or hit another car head on.

Of course don’t take a rented two wheel drive with bad tires across the mountains in a snow storm, or cross the continental divide in an overloaded Piper Cub.

The lesson is short, but you will not pass it on.

I also prefer a manual. My current car is an automatic, and paid in full, so I’ll probably drive it into the ground - it’s got about 108,000 miles now.

But once it’s dead and buried, I’ll go back to driving a stick, as I used to do. It’s just a more fun way to drive.

I’m 47 and I’ve never owned a vehicle with automatic transmission. I currently have a 2006 Mazda3 that I bought new in 2005. But my next car will definitely be automatic!

Manuals aligned best with my priorities when I was younger. They were cheaper to buy and maintain, quicker and more fuel efficient. My '91 and '95 Civic would have been totally different cars with an automatic. But technological improvements have made automatics even more fuel efficient than the manual counterpart in many cases.

A new Honda Civic or Mazda3 actually gets 3-4mpg better fuel economy with the automatic vs. the manual. The automatic versions at least match the manuals in terms of performance (except the 2.0L Honda). With no price difference, the only reason to choose a manual is because you prefer it…

There is an upshot for anyone interesting in buying a conventional car (i.e. non-sports car) with a manual- they usually cost significantly less as a used car. A local Toyota dealer sold a 6-speed manual 2017 Mazda6 recently for $15,500 (after two price cuts). The same car with automatic would have sold for $18k.

Yes, at least most of the people in this thread saying they want a manual are admitting they just like it. Because all of the old practical advantages people used to cite have been obviated or made irrelevant.

Just the other day I accelerated to make a green light while turning, all while holding my cup of coffee. I immediately thought “I couldn’t do that if I still had a manual!” Those are my priorities these days. :grin:

I had to let go of my manual SX4 last year. I miss the little guy.
Had to go auto to get the vehicle I needed this time.
:frowning_face:

Looks like on some models, manual transmission retains advantages, however small.

"The EPA rates the 2023 (Hyundai) Elantra N at 22 mpg city and 31 mpg highway for models equipped with a manual transmission, and 20 mpg city and 30 mpg highway for automatics. When we put it through our 75-mph highway fuel economy route, the 2022 Elantra N manual-transmission model did slightly better than its EPA “highway estimate, notching a 32 mpg result.”