Would you consider living on a cruise ship for three years?

No, the $30k figure is per person per year - sharing. The cheapest tiny cabin is $180k for 3 years.

Wait, what?? The OP did not catch that.

mmm

Yep. Hard pass from me as well. I’ve in the past considered splurging on a roomier private cabin on one of those smaller-vessel eco-tourism trips to the Galapagos or something. But you’d have to pay me $30k a year to hang out on a cruise ship for years at a time. Actually that’s probably not nearly enough to make it worth my while. Psychological cabin fever might kill me before some actual cruise ship plague does so.

Y’all know you’re not confined to your cabin for three years, right? There are 375 ports you are visiting, not to mention the option to hang out on the deck whenever you want, weather permitting, to get you some vitamin D.

mmm

Not having a passport disqualifies me. And the proposal doesn’t exactly incentivize me to change that.

God no, I did an overnight stay on a ship on Milford Sound and that was absolutely glorious, but one night was enough.

That’s why I’m a little suspect if that price provides a real cruise experience. I wouldn’t be thrilled about not seeing family and I don’t believe the “invite your family and friends onboard for free” but as far as friends , it doesn’t seem any different from moving and of course many people do that. The problem would be the space. I can absolutely do it, maybe indefinitely if there is the sort of entertainment/spaces that mean the cabin is my bedroom and I am there only to sleep and shower. ( My bedroom at home is maybe 130 sq feet) On the other hand, if there’s not that much to do and I end up wanting to watch movies/TV in the cabin, someone won’t survive the three years.

I am unhappy if i don’t see sunlight when i wake up. It’s really a hard “nope” for me.

I’ve never even been on a cruise, because I know I would hate every minute of it. So this would obviously be a strong “no” for me.

Strong NO from me!

I would rather spending three years living ALONE in a small cabin in the woods.

It’s being “confined” to the boat. It’s purely psychological - I mean, I wouldn’t even live in Hawai’i because of wariness of island fever. Two weeks? Sure, I guess. Months? Kill me now. And brief multi-hour junkets at tourist ports wouldn’t make up the difference.

Also cruise ships are primarily geared towards social extroverts. It’s not their raison d’être, but it is who tend to enjoy them the most. That’s not me. I have no interest in being that social.

Even small cruise ships have public areas and services, which may include multiple dining areas, a shop, exercise equipment, dancing and stretching on deck, open walking areas, a small pool, hot tubs, a sauna, bars, ice cream, coffee, a library, a computer center, lectures, shows, movies, basic medical, laundry. etc. as well as televisions in the cabins. The bird watching is often quite good, and you can join or avoid people.

Three years. Trapped on a ship w/ yuppies and wealthy people. I’d rather spend three years in a homeless camp.

Fuck no! I wouldn’t even want to spend one day on a cruise ship let alone three years! That sounds like an absolute nightmare. Being stuck on a ship with no escape from seasickness and the inevitable disease outbreak for three years? I wouldn’t do it even if they paid me $30,000 per year.

Not so much.

I might do it for three days if I got paid for it. Maybe.

Yeah, $30K a year is not particularly wealthy people. They aren’t poor , but lots of people can afford $30K per year per person if they sell their house.

I was getting ready to reluctantly agree to the proposition, right up until the point I began to understand that it isn’t a scenario where they’d be paying me 30 grand, but I would have to pay them 30k for the privilege! Hard no here.

Ha ha, I guess there won’t be any Dopers on the voyage.

Including me, for the record. I just thought it was an interesting thing to consider.

mmm

No, trapped on a ship with middle class wrinkly people.