Would you give your SO a bye on infidelity if you became a quadraplegic?

That would be paraplegia, not quadraplegia.

If one’s sexual function was reduced to nothing, how would castration help quell their sexual desire? Correct me if I’m wrong, but it seems like having your sexual function reduced to nothing would have the same effect as castration?

I was assuming a state where desire was still there but ability was not.

Of course, back when people made an effort and their words meant something, it wasn’t acceptable to leave an abusive spouse. I’ll take the flightiness, thanks.

If my injuries were such that I couldn’t provide for him, then yeah, of course. We know how to successfully handle third parties within the relationship, plus I think it’s unreasonable to deny a healthy, normal adult* a good sex life.

I would probably expect him to be discreet, such as saying, “Honey, I’m going out tonight, don’t expect me until morning, the nurse will be here all night” rather than “I’m going to go bang a chick who can walk.” But then, he would figure that out on his own without me telling him, which is one of the reasons I’m with him in the first place. He’s a real sensitive type, that one. :slight_smile:

*with all the caveats about how disabled people can have sex, too, &c.

I honestly don’t know. I think the answer would be “yes”, but I really don’t know how I’d feel if it actually happened to me.

Wow, what an awful scenario! No, I would NOT give my SO my blessing to sleep with other women were I to become disabled. When you choose to stay with someone in those circumstances, you accept them for their limitations. Were my SO to have horrible cancer of the mouth and get his tongue amputated, I wouldn’t go out and find someone else to give me oral. You can’t have it both ways, feeling good about yourself for staying with someone through tragedy but wanting someone else to fill in their gaps, so to speak.

Hm. Or that unsavory bootblack who’s been lurking about.

Which is why I added:

You dont believe abusive relationships are grounds for divorce and the only acceptable reasons are via status quo?

Not falling within the norm of society does not necessarily make a person “flighty”.

By “flightiness”, I meant the current societal model that you were railing against. Don’t try to turn it around on me and tell me that I am less accepting of divorce.

That was my question, is it possible to have physical desire without the ability to perform, and if so, would castration help?

With the type of injury described in the OP, I honestly don’t know. I was thinking along the lines of ED for a situation where desire is there, but the equipment doesn’t work.

I may be completely incorrect and it wouldn’t even be a consideration, but I was trying to be practical. Castration does reduce sex drive and if I couldn’t perform I wouldn’t want the desire.

No, I really wouldn’t; I’m sure my initial loss would provide quite enough emotional turmoil. It’s just as I wouldn’t be happy with him doing it if we were both old and I lost my sex drive before he did. I don’t look at my own relationship from an analytical absolutes sort of standpoint, and I can’t make myself stop thinking about or feeling bad about things that make me feel bad. I wouldn’t expect him to either. He’d be free to break up with me if he wanted conventional sex that badly. I wouldn’t be cool with it, but it’s not like I’d be able to stop him.

Especially in your state!

::d&r::

First off, I’d prefer to just be shot if I was to be totally paralyzed. Second, if say ol’ Warren’s offer was only contingent on my staying alive then I’d still try and get it on, if only to talk dirty in my new Stephen Hawking voice.

Absolutely, but I wouldn’t want to know about it.

I know someone newly paralyzed and his wife loves him no matter what and forever, but like someone else said; she has to be responsible for every single thing for his care forever, which could turn into decades. It’s kind of like she has a 200 pound baby who will never grow up. If it happened to me and my husband had to lose that much of his own freedom for me I would want him to have some vacation from his real life.

It’s such a crushing responsibility to be married to a quadraplegic.

Well, I guess I could clamp onto his leg with my teeth.

I dont think I would. I believe “in sickness and in health” is meant for serious, and that a healthy marriage should be monogamous.

Whoa! Pump the brakes, pump the breaks!
Dont put words into my mouth that are not there, please.

I was merely trying to point out to you that I felt your initial response to my post was inaccurate and that you jumped to a conclusion - afterall, I did put a clause in there (and though it did not specifically point out ‘abusive relationships’ as being, imo, a just cause for divorce, it was the first thing I thought of). I was using sarcasm in response because I was annoyed at being quoted as if I were blind to certain situations. Had I not beein quoted, I wouldnt have been annoyed.

So, for clarification -

Divorce in a matter of “convienience”, “he/she looks better than you”, “I no longer love you/i never loved you”, “i needed someone ot help pay the bills until someone “better” came along” - etc etc, get my point?

Divorcing/leaving someone because they are abusive does not make one flighty - it makes them a strong person, no matter what current society says.

My bad. I didn’t mean to imply that. What I meant was literally what I said: back when divorce wasn’t considered an option, that mindset brought with it the troubling and connected theory that people in abusive relationships need to just tough it out and make it work. You can’t have your cake and eat it too. Divorce rates are overstated anyway.