Would you have done the "pay it forward" thing at Starbucks?

No, I would not have “paid it forward” at Starbucks. It’s participating in a game, not a charitable act.

According to the staff at my Starbucks, it’s not that difficult in the drive-through line. There’s only one lane so you don’t have to worry about the cars showing up in the wrong order. It’s annoying for them because they have to explain it to each customer who pulls up. And because people often change their orders between the speaker box and the window.

That’s what I did (I gave them $6.)

I still say there’s a big different between not paying it forward and doing what this guy did. He deliberately sought out to ruin the chain. That’s why I think he deserves scorn. Not because he refused. That would have been perfectly fine.

Personally, I would refuse to pay more than a little bit over the drink I got would have cost me. It’s not charity but a game. I do what I can to not ruin the game, but I’m not going to feel guilty if I can’t afford it.

And yes, “can’t afford it.” I budget pretty tightly when it comes to these things. I grew up when money was tight, and it often still is tight. If I’m going to Starbucks, it’s because I’ve budgeted out enough money to do so. It’s a treat, not a necessity.

So I fully get breaking the chain. Just not going out of your way to do so.

ETA: I’d fully get being able to pay just for my drink, and having that go the person behind me. I could even call that charity, since then we’d actually be passing it back until it ran into someone who actually needed it. (Or was greedy, of course.)

I think some people in this thread are confused (including me, quite possibly). The “pay-it-forward” chain being referenced in the Fast Company article is set up by the first customer in the chain, who pays for their drink and the person behind them. Thereafter, the only thing necessary to keep the chain going is to pay for one drink–the drink of the person behind you. You don’t pay your own tab plus one, you simply pay for one drink of the person behind you instead of your own. This is why the Fast Company writer denigrates it as false. And yes, there is a question of what happens at the end of the chain when somebody decides to decline the game and simply pays for their own drink:

So yeah, it’s nonsense. That said, disrupting a chain deliberately is a jerkish thing to do.

You can now buy homeless people at Starbucks???:eek:

They’re cheaper than a latte.

I’m pretty much with you. Putting pressure on some schmucks to pay for somebody’s drink is totally for the birds. If somebody paid for yours, and you are given a drink for free, then given the option to pay for somebody else’s, that isn’t paying for somebody else’s-that is being part of a silly game.
If there is some other rule to this particular ‘pay it forward’ event, then, it is even worse, so, yeah, I’m with the grinch.

Listen, pal, until you can find a better place to buy them, how 'bout knocking off the eeks!

If it were Tim’s instead of Starbucks, and I were in Michigan instead of Jiangsu, and I’d not read all of this pollution in my Google News feed, I might have played along. You know, just because it would have been new to me and something I thought was interesting.

But upon further reflection, I would never do it a second time.

Plus what’s to stop some a-hole from claiming to be a bum just for free coffee?

Most people have something better to do?