Would you ignore the tip jar in these circumstances?

“Would you ignore the tip jar…”

Yup. I’ve never put money in a tip jar and I never will. I tip people for serving me, not for standing at a register.

Wait staff always get tipped because they are legally paid less than minimum wage. Tips are part of their wage. But counter help gets paid far more than wait staff, and no, there is nothing about working behind the counter of a Starbucks that makes you more special than working behind the counter of a McDonalds. No tips for the folks behind the counter.

We have food carts here. Lots and lots of food carts. And I’d guess that close to 100% are owned by the person who takes your order at the window and who also prepares your food. And nearly all of them have tip jars. Why would I tip the owner of the cart? Answer: I wouldn’t and I don’t.

Also, at businesses that provide both products and services, like our local bread store that also does sandwiches and coffee, I’ll tip if ordering lunch, but not if I’m buying a loaf of bread.

If I have a complex order at such a place, I will tip. If not, no.

I frequent a hot dog stand with a single owner. He doesn’t make minimum wage, he doesn’t serve me at a table, he doesn’t clean up after. He just does what an owner of a business does; serve me what I order, over the counter. And his prices are a little higher than other hot dog vendors in the area (because it’s a “gourmet” hot dog :rolleyes: ).

He has a tip jar. Should I tip him?

See my post #18.

I’d have to say that it depends. I don’t tip at Starbucks. I rarely tip at places like the OP described.

The coffee place by work where the barista knows just how I like my coffee? He gets a dollar as well as my change per cup. (this guy is amazing, if I’m having a coffee crisis, I’ll call him and say that I’ll be there in 5 minutes. I don’t even have to tell him my name or order, he recognizes my voice and has my coffee ready when I get there. He even saves the plastic bags from newspapers for my coffee so I can put it in my saddlebag.)

I tip more at the mom and pop place where I get breakfast because I like the service than I would at Denny’s.

Now…when I’m with a group of bikers…I make sure that everyone tips. We are loud and noisy and scare people. I try to make people like us, and money is a good way to do that.

There’s a BBQ joint here that does the same thing. They do have a seating area where waitresses do wait on you, get your refills, that sort of thing. When I do eat in, I do tip (20-25%, unless I get bad service).

However, I sometimes call in an order for 1-2 plates. Nothing particularly difficult or long to make. Generally they tell me to come get 'em in ten minutes. They’re not very pleasant on the phone or in person at the pick-up counter.

Every time I call it in and I pay with my card, they ask me upfront if I want to leave a tip on the purchase.

I find that incredibly rude. You assembled my food. You didn’t wait on me. You didn’t refresh my drink or bring anything to me. You put a bunch of food in a box. That’s it. Why WOULD I tip you?

The first girl apologized for asking me, so I left a tip. No one has apologized for asking since…so I haven’t.

I don’t carry cash. The only time I have cash on hand is when I’m taking the toll road. So I never have anything to put in a tip jar. But if I get a carryout order, I will usually write in a tip on the credit card receipt, if they have a place for it. It usually works out to at least 10%, since I don’t like to leave less than $2.

Of course not. You don’t tip the owner of the business. And I usually use a credit card, and carry little spare change anyhow, so there’s little I could throw in the tip jar.

I hate tip jars. I feel cheap throwing coins in, and cheap ignoring it. I feel imposed upon by the workers requesting a tip for normal non-waitering type services. It is such a quandry for me that I try to avoid such places.

As a former waitress, (and one who generally overtips in normal restaurants), I ignore those types of tip jars.

Worked in all areas of the front of the house in the service industry. I always tip something to people that prepare my food or ring me up at a shop I go to frequently, sometimes even at places that don’t have tip jars and you basically have to throw it at the person and run.

I get remembered at these places and get preferential treatment. Usually to the point I end up saving money in the long run, and if not… I gave an extra dollar to someone who isn’t making that much.

I suppose I can get tipping those who prepare food or drink for you, even if it’s not something I would personally see the need of doing (do you leave change for the kid behind the counter at Burger King?) but you also always tip the guy at the mini-mart whenever you stop for a 12 pack of Old Style or a small lemon-lime slushee?!?

Of course. But as annoying as those are to me, I guess you can’t blame them for trying - someone’s always going to be willing. That’s why we have panhandlers on street corners too.

Tipping is one of the most idiotic concepts our society has ever come up with IMO. Hey look, I did what I was supposed to and got hired to do, give me more out of your pocket. Are you kidding me?

I tip waitresses and barbers and that’s about it, and that only grudgingly. I cannot believe some of the ridiculous situations/places where I’ve seen a tip asked for if not even expected. Here’s my tip, find a better job.

I only tip for physical jobs and restaurants. Nothing for Barristas.

If it makes you feel better, I guarantee you that no one remembers whether you tip or not. The customer volume is so high, you just can’t do it. The best I could ever manage was remembering people who would pay for their food out of the tip jar.

I don’t tip in tip jars, and I don’t feel bad about not tipping.

I ignore tip jars unless I’m at a bar and ordering directly from the bartender.

It certainly would be nice if everyone made a decent wage but the fact is, they don’t. How extraordinarily selfish, nasty and self-righteous one must be to ignore the tip jar. Surely if you get bad service you need not leave anything. But dropping your change in the jar means absolutely nothing to you and could enable someone else to work one job instead of two, attend school, provide food for children etc. Would you rather leave your change or pay to have one of them incarcerated? or to pay additional taxes for ADC? Were you absent the day they discussed sharing in kindergarten? How can you be proud of being cheap?