I cannot think of a single good thing he has done since he has been President.
So no, I would not shake his hand now, or ever.
I haven’t an iota of respect for the man.
I cannot think of a single good thing he has done since he has been President.
So no, I would not shake his hand now, or ever.
I haven’t an iota of respect for the man.
[QUOTE=bdntexas]
Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion, even me. The problem I see here is that it is obviously not a very popular opinion on this board to support Bush. If you would just look around, you’ll see that there are very few with an opinion on here that would be consistant with anything other than liberalism. The majority of the answers to this question are full of vitriol. The correct answer to this question is of course A or B. Something is very wrong with a society that could refuse to have the courtesy to shake the hand of the President of the United States. I never supported Bill Clinton. I disagree with almost everything he did while in office. I would still love to meet him. I would bet he would be great to play golf with! Civility people! Civility!
[/QUOTE]
Hang in there, bdntexas! Yes, this place is overwhelmingly liberal, despite the dancing on the head of pin that often meets this observation…either that or the “Europeans are a lot more liberal than us” meme. And you are spot on in that ignorance isn’t really fought here, it merely comes from the other end of the spectrum…and in the typical liberal way that POV is what is regarded as what’s right and proper. There is the liberal POV, and there are right-wing nutjobs. (A statement sure to be met with denial by at least one self-identified conservative who nevertheless detests Bush, etc., etc.) Still, the place is not without its compensations. Much useful and accurate information is to be found in the other forums on this board, many good and compassionate and helpful people can be found on this board, and you may even find, like I have, that some of your adversaries might actually become friends. So stick around, fight the good fight, and take from the place the many good things it has to offer despite it’s political orientation.
As to the OP, yes, I’d shake Bush’s hand, but not, as oddly proposed in option A, “anything [else] of his.” How silly.
Bush, IMO, is a good man who has perhaps has tried to hard to do the right thing; who mistakenly felt post-reelection that he was on the right track and had a mandate from the people to do whatever it occured to him to do; and who, had 9/11 not occured, would most likely be regarded fondly by most of the country. While I feel mistakes have been made, I admire him for taking the bull by the horns and attempting to address the problems of terrorism himself rather than doing the minimum amount to satisfy immediate concerns and then passing the problem off to the next guy, and I admire him for standing strong and doing what he felt was best regardless of political fallout and/or whatever political expediency might dictate. And I’m damn glad I’m not the one charged with trying to keep this country’s citizens safe and prevent another 9/11 or worse, particularly since a goodly portion of those very same citizens are going to be screaming for my head no matter what I did.
If I shook his hand, I’d probably have to look at his face. So D for me.
Only if I had something terribly infectuous.
[QUOTE=DMark]
I cannot think of a single good thing he has done since he has been President.
[/QUOTE]
$92 billion (IIRC) to Africa. Granted, some of it was presented with conditions that some non-Christians find distasteful, but on balance, it’s still $92 billion. I applaud him for that.
[QUOTE=silenus]
I’d piss on Bush before I’d shake his hand. If I got the chance to make it a public dis, so much the better.
[/QUOTE]
I wouldn’t shake his hand, but I wouldn’t piss on him either. Even if he were on fire. ![]()
I’d shake his hand, but not out of respect to his position nor because I was too shy to say no. So far as I’m concerned, I’ll probably end up shaking the hands of people of far worse intelligence than Bush in the scope of my life. Singling him out as untouchable doesn’t seem like it’s going to spare my hand anything.
The only difference between him and any other idiot was that he got to sit in the big seat. That he got to be the one of all those of mental failing to show off just how handicapped he really is, in a sense he’s more sad than detestable.
[QUOTE=jjimm]
$92 billion (IIRC) to Africa. Granted, some of it was presented with conditions that some non-Christians find distasteful, but on balance, it’s still $92 billion. I applaud him for that.
[/QUOTE]
Not according to the Brookings Institute.
[QUOTE=Der Trihs]
The only reason I wouldn’t spit at him is because the Secret Service would probably apply a billyclub to my head if I did.
[/QUOTE]
The SS doesn’t carry billyclubs. They carry Uzis. Just a point of information should the situation ever come up. ![]()
[QUOTE=Quartz]
Somewhere between A and B for me. I disagree with him on Iraq, but I respect his right to think and act differently. I’m not sufficiently clued on other issues to make a judgement.
[/QUOTE]
It’s refreshing to see someone disagree with him, but still mature enough to behave respectfully. This thread speaks volumes about bush-haters. I wish your attitude about making judgments was a more common one.
Put me down for the same, somewhere between A and B. I think there are a lot of things we aren’t shown, so it’s hard to have a fair assessment of him.
I spit.
He is the duly elected President of the United States. Yes, I’d shake his hand.
I’d also kiss the Pope’s ring and bow before the Queen.
I wouldn’t shake O.J. Simpson’s hand. He hasn’t done anything to earn it.
[QUOTE=fruitbat]
I am no fan of Bush and I would easily vote B. I truly believe that he is a decent man with some very bad ideas who is doing his best to serve his country. I think that is worth my respect.
Call me naive.
[/QUOTE]
That pretty much how I thought of his father. I though Bush Sr. was a very decent man. I didn’t agree with all of his politics but I’d shake hands with him.
As to the question, no I wouldn’t shake his hand.
[QUOTE=PunditLisa]
He is the duly elected President of the United States. Yes, I’d shake his hand.
I’d also kiss the Pope’s ring and bow before the Queen.
[/QUOTE]
Wow. I’ve nothing against any queen I can think of (art thou speaking of Liz?), but I sure as hell don’t bow to anyone. And ring kissing? Not since I was a peasant in the early 11th century. I’d maybe shake the pope’s hand, but frankly I have more respect for Bush than I do a Roman Catholic Pope (I don’t know enough about Easter Orthodox to comment).
Heck, I’d shake OJ’s hand… Both of 'em … It’d give me a chance to check for weapons ![]()
[QUOTE=PunditLisa]
He is the duly elected President of the United States. Yes, I’d shake his hand.
I’d also kiss the Pope’s ring and bow before the Queen.
I wouldn’t shake O.J. Simpson’s hand. He hasn’t done anything to earn it.
[/QUOTE]
Your post is the only one that disturbs me. Why would you honor someone who did nothing more than get born to her figurehead position? Why on earth would you kiss the Pope’s ring unless you are Catholic? Neither of these make any sense to me.
If you respect the office more than you dislike the man, I could see shaking Bush’s hand, but what respect do you owe the Pope and the Queen? Bowing and Ring kissing are ancient courtesy design to make you look lesser than the people you are genuflecting to. Shaking hands is something that equals do. An act that should show mutual respect. Bowing to the Queen as an American citizen just seems very odd.
Jim
I’d say “C,” although I confess I’d be sorely tempted to go with “D.”
Here’s a similar thread: "Respect for the Office": What does this mean to you? - In My Humble Opinion - Straight Dope Message Board
My post there is #30, and goes into a bit more detail as to my thinking.
[QUOTE=PunditLisa]
bow before the Queen.
[/QUOTE]
You wouldn’t have to bow (or curtsey if you really are a Lisa), it’s not a general requirement these days. The Queen certainly wouldn’t care. Although I admit the panic and nervousness of the situation probably determines peoples behaviour.
As to GWB, I’d shake his hand just out of common courtesy. I’d try the supposed Masonic handshake I was taught by a former Lodge GM (resigned in disgrace apparently), just to see what happened.
I would not shake his hand, since I would have no reason to.
I also do not understand the concept of having respect for “an office”. It sounds suspiciously like the idea of lordship and royalty.
[QUOTE=PunditLisa]
He is the duly elected President of the United States. Yes, I’d shake his hand.
I’d also kiss the Pope’s ring and bow before the Queen.
I wouldn’t shake O.J. Simpson’s hand. He hasn’t done anything to earn it.
[/QUOTE]
What if OJ got elected president?
Seriously, I’m kind of weirded out by this position. Being elected does not make you a saint. In fact, it makes you a servant to those who elected you. They should be shaking your hands, not the other way around.
Give me the hand of a great man and I’ll shake it, even if I disagree with many of their politics. But simply born in the right place at the right time in the right body does not make one worthy of fawning respect.