Would you want to live to 200?

No way. My hubby and I met in high school, and have spent our entire adult lives together. If he, and our kids, didn’t have that kind of longevity, I wouldn’t want it either.

I don’t think I’d care to see the year 2169, no. Everyone I know dropping off like that would be unpleasant enough, but I’d think the routine would get a little dull after a time. I mean, you tend to find more comfort with those whom you can share experiences with, right? Even people you never met before who are about the same age will have shared many of the same experiences. If you outlive everyone who’s your own age, you won’t have many peers. It would be lonely. If there were enough others who would also live to be 200, that would be different, but having to go it alone? No, thanks.

I wouldn’t mind it, though, if I got to travel forward in time to the year 2169 toward the end of my life. I wouldn’t want to know too much about the world while I’m still relatively young, but as I’m closer to death, I’d like to learn how things are going to turn out.

When it comes time to die, I want to go quietly, in my sleep, like my friend George, and not awake and afraid, like George’s passengers.

I’m with Skribbler too!

Rightly said, there, Chance. Welcome to the board, and I loved your movie!! You seem a bit more talkative here! :wink:

There’s just so much to find out in the future! Like, just what is the Loc Ness Monster after all? Will Bigfoot turn out to be a real hoax? Will technology finally advance far enough to allow someone to at last dig up the unreachable and fabled Oak Island treasure? Will the public ever get smart enough to realize that if the military has a base for secret testing, that the very much watched and publicized Roswell certainly is not it.

Will the killer of Jon Benet be found before the parents die of old age? Will OJ slip up and ever confess to the murder of his ex and disclose where the knife is? Will the ages long conflict in Ireland ever end? Will the Queen ever croak and Prince Charles become King before he goes senile?

Will miniskirts come back, now that women have the legs to go with them? Will fashion designers stop dressing women in clothing that makes them look fat, manly, pregnant or on their period? Will kids stop shaving their heads?

So many questions!

I’m with Woody Allen on this one. “I don’t want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve immortality through not dying.”

:confused: Several of you made mention about not being able to handle watching your friends and family die. The death of others causing yourself to want to die is not sane. These things happen to us already and we don’t live to 200. How are you coping with it now? Like I said before, death sucks, but more so when it happens to oneself.

Only 200? Hell no!

I don’t know about you, but I intend to live forever, in some form or another. I want to see what Skribbler wants to see, and much more. Do you realize just how huge the universe is? I’ve barely seen any of it!

I want to live to see the day when human augmentation with technology is finally possible and reliable. I want mind-bogglingly fast computers wired directly into my brain, boosting my mental capabilities millions (or billions?) of times higher than they are now (and they’re pretty damn good now). I want my current body replaced with a superior one, which doesn’t age, is not vulnerable to disease, and is very durable.

I want to see humanity colonize Mars; in fact, I’d like to oversee its terraforming. I want to see us make contact with an alien civilization, then watch as we wipe it out for threatening our survival.

I want to see everything. I want to learn everything.

I’m (muffling his mouth temporarily here) 48.
Mentally I feel 28.
I’ve seen so much!! It’s incredible! (Ignoring the assholes, nuts, wackos, politicians and assorted crazies.)

I remember living in a ‘tract-style’ house in a new concept – the housing project! Our car was a big thing with rounded fenders, owl headlights and metal that my young head couldn’t dent. My home town was real small. Then I recall great cars with massive chrome grills and bumpers, great tail fins and trunks big enough to live in. I recall biplanes flying around, Emmett Kelly, the Great Sad Hobo Clown. I recall the Beatles starting a new form of music, coca cola in glass bottles and nuclear attack drills. I recall Castro leading the great revolution to free Cuba and then turning around to enslave it.

I recall the first manned orbital space shot.

And, now look where we are. I wanna know what’s next.

When I was a kid, not only did we play cowboys and Indians, but Great British Explorers who were conquering Africa and always being attacked by black savages, who always lost. Plus we played army, invading Germany, fighting back the Japs, soaring in a Flying Fortress and bombing the Enemy.

There was always an enemy.

No one had ever decided to leave work, buy some gear and get some friends and snowmobile across the North pole like some fellows did some years ago – which, to me, after reading all of the great exploration tales, was sacrilege. Still, it said how far we’ve come. People take a week off to climb Mt. Everest with a special guided group. I recall reading about the daring exploits of the first explorers to painfully inch their way up it.

What next? Will I ever be able to buy a good laptop for under $500? Will the Italians learn to drive? Will cars ever become automatic to the extent that we punch in our destination and read a book or go to sleep as the car takes us to our stop? Will Rap music be replaced by something more obnoxious? Will prostitution and pot ever become legal?

I want to know. I don’t want to be a rusty hulk awaiting mindlessly to die in some filthy nursing home that congress has not gotten around to regulating yet.

I want to totter down town, knock back some booze, pinch the well rounded asses of young girls, assure everyone within hearing that they don’t know what they’re talking about and watch the world change around me.

Immortality would be really boring after the heat death of the universe. :slight_smile:

As other posters stated, if I were in good health and sound mind, yep I would. Every day is a new experience no matter what your age. Your friends come and go, you forge new relationships, and while your immediate family may be gone by that point, you would always have family around as the generations go on.
I would love it.

“If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day, so I never have to live without you.”

• Winnie the Pooh

DigitalMuse wrote:

“NO!! Don’t go in there! You don’t have to die! Well, NO ONE has to die at thirty! You can live! LIVE!! Live, and grow old! I’ve seen it! SHE’S seen it! Well, look! LOOK! Look, it’s clear!”

– Logan 5, outside the Carousel arena, holding up his lifeclock.