Would you watch a non-sci-fi, sci-fi show?

That was an editorial called You’ll Never See It In Galaxy that appeared on the back cover of the first issue of *Galaxy *magazine in 1950, as an example of how Galaxy’s fiction wouldn’t be like the sludge being printed elsewhere. They mostly succeeded. The last novel shown on that page, laughingly retitled Sin in Space, was called Mars Child when it ran in Galaxy. It’s a very good, scientifically plausible for the day, adult look at a Martian colony - modeled down to the last detail on a frontier mining town in the American West.

Thanks for the correction, looks like I got the details wrong.

Zzzzzactly.

Heh. I remember that. In one scene, a character’s sanity is called into question, so he’s asked some questions by his lawyer in court to see how well-grounded he is. One of the questions is, “Who is President of the United States?” He answers, “Oprah Winfrey,” and his lawyer says smugly, “You see, Your Honor? He’s perfectly sane.”

I think the trick would be to keep the show from devolving into a soap opera that happens to have a few aliens mixed in, it’s probably best if you use the sci-fi setting as a “reflector” of sorts to highlight problems the humans or aliens are facing.

If the aliens are just people with bumpy foreheads, you might as well make the wacky neighbors immigrants from Mypos instead of Melmac.

Sounds like the Jetsons

Just the other night I re-watched a time travel movie with virtually no special effects: Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel.

And my favorite time travel movie has even fewer special effects (effectively zero): Primer.

So yeah, I’d watch a non-sci-fi sci-fi show.

It depends. Usually not, but I enjoyed Intelligence and Person of Interest.

Agreed.

That said I have to admit I’m a fan of, for lack of a better term science-fictiony science-fiction.

For example if you have a science-fiction show that is marketed as ‘The Wild West in Space’ why would I not just cut to the chase and watch a show about the actual Wild West rather than a thinly veiled analogy with the cowboys carrying laser-pistols rather than six-shooters?

Oh and horror/sci-fi hybrids can just bugger off, Event Horizon and Alien were about the only decent examples.