WoW: The Burning Crusade

I’ve preordered it, but I have no plans to start a new character right away. I’ve already played shaman and paladin, and there’s no way in hell I’m throwing myself into any of the lowbie areas for the next month or two.

For now, I plan to take advantage of the impending demand for leather and jewelcrafting items, and enjoy the emptier higher-level zones.

Preordered my copy.

I think i’ll make up a Dranei, but i’m not sure what class. My main’s a rogue, so i’m tempted by the lure of big shiny armour and big shiny weapons.

I preordered BC months ago when I bought the game, but now Im finding it a bit too expensive to play, given that I have no income. Does anyone think it would be worth it for me to buy my pre-ordered copy and resell it, a la PS3? Heck if it would only make me a few extra bucks then I’d just sell it at retail to any toronto doper who couldnt find a copy.

As a whole, on average, the alliance side are much worse players in PVP. They win BGs maybe 20% of the time, tops, as a pub group.

Possibly dumber and less mature, although there is barrens chat as a counter-example.

Theories as to why this is is that the alliance are sort of like the default good guys that players associate themselves with, and new players will start there. But also because the alliance races are much more attractive.

The Blood Elves may have been designed to spread out the immaturity and stupidity. “OMG I CAN MAKE A FEMALE BLOOD ELF PALADIN AND DANCE NAKED ON MAILBOXES OMG THAT IS SO CREATIVE!!!”

My theory is that the Horde (also) draws a lot of the immature 13-25 crowd, that have nothing better to do than prove how totally awesome they are and have plenty of time to twink up characters. They’re attracted to the more evil side. The alliance gets the more dimwitted side of that demographic.

I’m fairly sure that is the reason they were added to the Horde side (well, actually to spread out the faction balances, which is pretty bad on some servers–the stupidity is already fairly even).

In my experience (I also play both sides of the fence), Horde players tend to have a superiority complex. They want to feel like they’re better than someone else. So you get the ‘pallies are gay’ and ‘Alliance are all 12-year-old nubs who rolled NE to watch them strip’ jokes. Even in my own guild, which is dual-sided, I can see this division happening. Horde want to prove they’re better than Alliance. Alliance pretty much ignore Horde, unless we’re in the mood to abuse some goblins. I don’t hear nearly as much bad-mouthing towards the Horde from the Alliance (hardly any at all, really) as I do going in the other direction. I just find the Horde is a bit coarser in all respects than Alliance.

Ugh, I told myself I’d never be one of those geeks who were lining up at the release for anything, but I’m gonna be out in the middle of the night anyway, and if I wait till tomorrow, they might all be sold out, so I guess I’ll do it. I won’t wait in line, I’ll just show up at midnight and hope they have some copies.

I called the closest gamestop and he said he couldn’t guarantee that they’d have more than the pre-orders. So, if I can’t get it there, would somewhere like a 24 hour walmart actually go out and stock it at midnight, or what?

supervenusfreak pre-ordered from Amazon for me as part of my Christmas gifts. I expect it sometime this week, but I’m happy to be patient. Tomorrow and Wednesday are going to be a ZOO! Expect massive server lag and huge competition for starter area mobs and Outlands content. There are probably thousands of 60s sitting in the Blasted Lands right now resting up for midnight…

I pared my character lists on my 2 active servers (one server Horde, one server Alliance) down to 2 toons on each. I’m going to make one toon of each new race on their respective servers. Maybe a draenei shaman and a Belf paladin.

About 90% of the Draeni you see will be shaman, and 90% of the Blood Elves will be Paladins. There will be an absolute flood of them - to the point where new servers will probably have a hard time getting a good class mix on groups.

Sadly, my sister decided to get married this week, thereby delaying my BC fun.

And yeah, don’t roll a Draenei or a Blood Elf this week, or this month, 'cause every l33t haxx0r teenager’s gonna be doing the same thing. I’ve been trying to explain to my guild why rolling Draenei shamans is gonna be a supply-side catastrophe, but they seem determined to figure it out through hard experience.

Holy crap, there was one store by me in the HBG area doing the midnight opening…several hundreds showed up. HUNDREDS. I’ve never seen more than 20-30 for a game release (consoles yes, games??). Just, well, wow.

You bet I’m getting it, it should be in the mail as soon as Amazon UK gets the box with my name on it. I play in English, so the copy for BC had to be enEN as well.

I’m making a Draenei female priestess (jeweler) and a Draenei male warrior (weaponsmith). Between those two, the two engineers and the armorsmith I think I should be able to start causing a metal depletion any time now…

Yes, I suffer from altitis, how did you figure?

Well, that sucked.

I went to gamestop, cause I called them and they said they’d be open at midnight. I asked about getting a copy without a preorder, and he said that he couldn’t guarantee anything but pre-orders. So I go, and it turns out that they won’t even take anyone who doesn’t have a pre-order. It would be nice if the guy on the phone would’ve told me that.

But… there was a walmart right there, and I still had 15 minutes before midnight, so I head over. There are about 15 people in line. Cool - Walmart should get a ton of copies, right? Wait 15 minutes, they sell their 22 copies, and everyone leaves.

Why the hell even bother to ship 2 copies? And it wasn’t just leftovers from preorders, since Walmart doesn’t take those.

So, I head home. I stop by the walmart near where I live, just in case, about 40 minutes after midnight, and the guy says he just sold out the last of his 7 copies. On the way out, I saw some kids with it. Sigh.

If that idiot at gamestop had told me, on the phone, that I wouldn’t have been able to get one, I’d have gone to the Walmart right here, and I would’ve gotten a copy. Thanks, dude.

Oh well. The only reason I went is because I was going to be out anyway, and I figured if I waited, everywhere might be out of stock. Hopefully someone gets another shipment tomorrow. If I have to wait a day or two, no big deal. A week, that would be annoying. I guess I should’ve preordered, but I didn’t expect them to be so scarce.

There were about 50 people with pre-orders at gamestop. That was weird to me. I went to try to get a copy before they sold out, but these people were guaranteed a copy… and just couldn’t wait a few hours without their warcrack expansion, I guess. There were some kids in line saying “fucking gay this” and “you fag!” and stuff. And I said to the people next to me: “Check it out - real life Barrens chat.”

Sorry, for blood elves, there is a port thingy in UC that goes right to the BE city. No need for cash

Well, I got up this morning to a “shipping notice” from Amazon dated yesterday, so it will be arriving today (oooh yes, I love me my Amazon Prime). That’s pretty good for Amazon; previous pre-orders I’ve done through them had resulted in me canceling the order and buying it from Target because Amazon sat on it so long.

I’m supposed to get it before the weekend. Would it look bad if I start dancing in the factory’s hallways? I promise I won’t go “squee!”, I’ll just jig.

A Spanish lady doing a jig in Switzerland… now there is something I have not seen…

So, a brief question about the new races… I don’t recall where, but I was reading a brief description of the many-and-varied talents the new elven race will be receiving, and I’m concerned.
There’s a point in many games where ‘power-creep’ rears up, and I’m worried this may be it. Undead can breathe underwater longer. Orcs have (IIRC) more damage from pets. The new elves get mana burn and a few other abilities? Seems a bit unbalanced.
What I’m concerned about is the thought that this may start a trend of a ‘need’ for one of the new races in groups just to keep ‘on top of’ things. I know, I know- most guilds are just fine with whatever they have, but… Really… Which would you rather have in your group? A guy that can hold his breath, or a guy that can mana burn?
Please re-assure me that, should I -not- run out and buy the expansion (I just can’t afford to do so), I’m not going to feel like I’ve been second-class-citizened?

(Postscript- I single out the elves because I’ve heard nothing of the abilities of the new alliance race. In fact, I almost always play alliance…)

I’ll tell you what-- either everybody on my server thinks it’s update time or they’re all making new characters because there is nobody on Stranglethorne Vale or Westfall or Ratchet. Even Orgimmar is deserted.

Since the boy did not go at midnight to get BC, I’ll just mine.

Let me add that when I logged on my server was “Full”.