WTF with this Google Map?

People outside Australia almost certainly won’t know that, in terms of the number of players participating, netball is the most popular sport in Australia. And this is in spite of being only played by women and girls. (Men and boys play basketball instead.)

Just edging out kangaroo boxing?

It’s not a copyright trap. Until recently you’d see a similar thing in Google Maps of the UK, where you suddenly get labels in French.

Note how the label is on a little black dot, which means it’s a place that has been added as a “point of interest” rather than being part of the base map. Google lets users add points of interest, and it seems they share the data internationally so you often get labels in the wrong language.

A girl I met recently, who is a PE teacher in Australia, was telling me about playing a game of netball with the high school girls. Due to her accent, and my having no idea what the hell netball is, I thought she was saying that she was playing ‘nipple’ with school girls. I was intrigued. After resolving the misunderstanidng, she tried to explain what netball is - I couldn’t follow her, sounds weird.

True with a qualifier: it’s the most popular team sport. I believe tennis and golf are more popular (though not if you count women only).

Do you mean the Cyrillic alphabet?

I don’t know what I mean. I’m best left out of it.

Essentially, it’s a women’s sport, pretty much like basketball, but without the running around or bouncing of the ball.

My favourite part is the short skirts.