X-Box 360 Vs Playstation 3: What should I buy?

I have a 360, and a big part of the appeal was netflix. However my system has tons of problems with netflix for some reason. Not as many as it did, but still problems. I ended up getting a Roku box instead. Besides, with xbox netflix you have to buy an Xbox live gold membership which is about $40 a year. Roku is free. I’m not sure if PS3 is free or not for netflix though.

I like the backwards compatability of the 360, and the PS3 is not backwards compatible (anymore). So for me that was a major selling point. But at this point you can buy a used Xbox or PS2 for $40 on craigslist if you shop around.

The PS3 plays Blu-ray DVDs, however the Xbox 360, when you use an HDMI cable can function as an upconverting DVD player. I haven’t tried it but I have heard other users say upconverted DVDs on a 360 is roughly as good as a blu-ray. The PS3 also has this function, but the point is an upconverted DVD is nearly as good as blu-ray for most people.

Also, wireless routers can be a hassle with the 360. When I got my 360 I researched wireless routers and many (except the official 360 wireless router) were badly rated on amazon. I eventually got a powerline adapter kit instead of wireless, and am happy with that.

Netflix sent out a disc that lets you Watch Instantly on the PS3. I’ve only watched a couple and none of them HD, but the quality was fine for what it was.

It wasn’t my intention to hijack this thread, I was just trying to offer a suggestion, so to keep them thread from being derailed further I will address this topic on the new thread here.

This is wrong in many ways.

1. You can upconvert with the component cables.
  2. Upconverting, despite many people’s anecdotal evidence, isn’t anywhere NEAR a bluray in visual and audio quality.
  3. The 360 is a terrible upconverter by most measurements out there.
  4. With the breakdown issues that the 360 has, the last thing I’d want to do is burn drive time watching DVDs on it.

For just non-game media, the PS3 is absolutely heads and shoulders above the 360. And for those who need something to play SACD audio on, the backwards compatible PS3s had that ability (along with various SD card slots as well).

I appreciate the civility between the Xbox and PS3 users. It might be the only place online in which that happens.