Xash, why did you close the Are you unconscious yet? Thread

867.5309 megahertz.

Me must have been missing from Bizarro World when this show aired on nearovision.

BONK ouch!!!

The frequency was 2600 Hz, but then Ma Bell died.

Hi Bippy the Beardless,

My apologies for the delay in response.

According to the Registration Agreement:

I believe that the thread in question violated the board’s policies as outlined in the Registration Agreement.

Further, if I may quote lieu’s excellent response in that thread:

From the above, it is sufficiently self-evident that the topic in question could lead to discussion that involves violent and/or illegal activities. Additionally, these activities could cause irreparable harm or even death.

The Straight Dope Message Board does not condone discussions of this nature on its boards.

If you’d like to know why the SDMB does not like such threads discussed, have a look at this recent discussion in ATMB:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=213901

For clarity, I’ll repeat my post from that thread:

Now, coming to why I did not clearly state the reasons for which I closed the thread:

1. It seemed to me sufficiently self-evident that the thread in question would lead to discussion of violent and/or illegal activities. I felt that Dopers would understand this without me having to spell it out.

2. I was in a hurry and didn’t have time to frame an appropriate response.

I hope this answers your questions. Thank you for my first pitting. I am a Real Mod[sup]TM[/sup] now.

-xash
General Questions Moderator

I first pitted you…

Pit him again, hebesphenomegacorona, for not acknowledging you as his original pitter.

I’ll organise some sock puppets to ask whether your new pitting was the first, and to then answer “yes”. :wink:

Thanks xash, I know this could have gone via email, but I thought you migh appreciate a gentle pitting (and it is your first pit rant all to yourself).
I understand the avoiding of illegal violence, but as one of the many Martial Artists amongst dopers, (and let’s not forget SCA peeps as well), there are plenty of us interested in legal violence :wink: .
I had hoped to hear from one or more of the doper doctors about this subject. So may I start a thread in GQ “How dangerous is it to hit someone on the head?”
From my M.A. studies I have been taught strikes to the side of the temple and crown of the head with a staff, both of these were considered ‘deadly’ strikes, but I am aware that M.A. teaching is a poor place to learn about deadlyness of such things, since such strikes once labeled ‘deadly’ are never used and gain a sort of urban legend of lethality which they may not warrent.

Thanks xash, I know this could have gone via email, but I thought you migh appreciate a gentle pitting (and it is your first pit rant all to yourself).
I understand the avoiding of illegal violence, but as one of the many Martial Artists amongst dopers, (and let’s not forget SCA peeps as well), there are plenty of us interested in legal violence :wink: .
I had hoped to hear from one or more of the doper doctors about this subject. So may I start a thread in GQ “How dangerous is it to hit someone on the head?”
From my M.A. studies I have been taught strikes to the side of the temple and crown of the head with a staff, both of these were considered ‘deadly’ strikes, but I am aware that M.A. teaching is a poor place to learn about deadlyness of such things, since such strikes once labeled ‘deadly’ are never used and gain a sort of urban legend of lethality which they may not warrent.

Actually Bippy with-in a week or so of Xash’s new reign in GQ I wrote this about him.

Yes, you can call me psychic if you wish.

Now it’s not exactly a pit, but close. :slight_smile:

You mean… you can’t see the Eiffel Tower from any window in Paris?

What if it is a really slow explosion? like glue exploding?

Or the Boston Molasses Disaster.

Actually, the Great Molasses Flood of 1919 in Boston (as an aside, I intend to write, direct, and produce a movie about this entitled Molassacre!) was remarkably fast moving – 30+ mph, and killed over 20 people. (That’s, what, 50 kph, and 33 metric people?)

Anyone want co-writing credit on Molassacre!? It’s slow work, heh heh.

'Specially if work doesn’t get started for another few months…

Wow, Boston Molasses Disaster, what can’t you learn on the SDMB!!

Of course not you silly boy!

You can of course see the Sydney Harbour Bridge and Opera House from any location in Australia, including the desert and other major cities.

Bippy, there are a great many topics that I wish, personally, I could discuss on these boards. The members here have unbounded knowledge and wit, and I would love to have access to all of it. However, while we allow great latitude in the kind of topics discussed here, you must realize that this board does have rules.

Therefore, you may not start a thread on such a topic.

Phlosphr, I’m sorry I missed your MPSIMS thread. Thanks for the compliments. Appreciate it.

I usually scan GQ and ATMB, and if time allows - MPSIMS/IMHO/The Pit.

Time hasn’t allowed ever since I’ve become a mod. Infact, I woulda missed this Pit thread as well had Q.E.D. not alerted me.

Next time feel free to email me to let me know I’ve been Pitted or MPSIMShared :slight_smile:

And, for the record, it’s xash not Xash.