XP frustration: Can't make "C" partition!

No, these are not using RAID at all. The RAID 0 box is a different machine, on which drive C is assigned as expected.

I have no idea how this happened, because I changed NOTHING other than to install one application (7tools). I strongly assure you all of that.

But on the single problem system I’ve checked so far, I dl’d and installed 7tools Partition Manager, and it’s display showed Disk 0 / Partition 0 to be named Drive “C:” This was a huge surprise! I then dbl-clicked “My Computer”, and Disk 0 / Partition 0 was also correctly named Drive “C:”!

The only change from a half-hour ago when the system disk was given drive letter “T:” and now is that I installed the demo version of 7tools Partition Manager (which required me to reboot).

Note that I did **not **have to delete any partitions or re-install Windows!

What the hell happened? I have three top-notch partition managers already installed, and they all reported no problems, just like 7tools did. The partition table looked perfectly routine and ordinary.
I’m going to try the same thing on the other problem system and then report back.

I can’t work with the second of the two problem systems because it will now no longer boot. I now get a BSD:

STOP error 0x0000008E (0x80000003, 0xF74668D9, 0x805532AC, 0x00000000)

mv61xx.sys - Address F74668D9 base at F745A000, DateStamp 44db9386
But this system had long been “sicker” than the other, so I’ll just start from scratch again. This time I’ll completely delete all partitions on, then install, 2 identical 500 GB disks as a RAID 0 volume to house Windows XP. I’ll disconnect all the other drives until the installation is complete.

That should do the trick.
I want to thank you all for your helpful responses!