Yaaarghh! It's pronounced SUB-SID-I-ARY, goddammit!!

Until I looked it up just now, I had no idea of the so-called “correct” pronunciation (PLAN-tin). I don’t recall ever once hearing or saying it any other way than plan-TAIN.

How long before the way everybody says it all the time becomes the right way?

I never saw a plantain until '84 or so. I grew up in east central Indiana and learned the word in elementary school. We used dictionaries daily back then.

My pilates instructor is always giving me exercises to help with my obelisk muscles. If you know him it’s kind of cute but I’d like to think I could expect better from someone who is supposed to have studied anatomy.

I worked for a Japanese company and used polypropylene as often as possible, just to hear them pronounce it.

(My bolding)

Dilatate and dilatation are in fact legitimate words, particularly when applied to the birthing process.

Try working in food: balsalmic, eye-talian, chipoltee, chili con kwiso/kwayso. I got into an argument with a coworker over how gnocchi is pronounced. I might not have it right, but I’m pretty sure it’s not pronounced guh-nich-chee.

And Mulligatawny? Forget about it. They give up. “Mulliga…mully…moo…what’s that one?”

Unrelated to food, my boss says jag-wire instead of jaguar. Drives me up the wall.

I sell printing supplies and frequently get callers asking for ink and toner cartlidges.

(I still want to know what’s wrong with “expedite”).

What did he mean to say? Sorry, I’m under the influence of a migraine, and the answer just isn’t coming to me. :slight_smile:

Really? I concede that, but I’m holding onto my hatred of dialate.

And when people dry reach. I hate dry reaching, but it’s not as uncomfortable as retching.

Cesium.

I’ve never heard anyone insert the graped R - AFAIK it usually only arises between similar vowel sounds (‘idea’ ends with the same vowel sound that ‘about’ starts with)

They ran a series of car commercials a while back in which the announcer pronounced it Jag-you-are.
I guess they don’t wan’t anybody driving a Jaguar who would be vulgar enough to say Jag-wahr like 98.4% of normal people.

Well no wonder, that’s not one that’s familiar to me. I was trying to figure out which one of the ones I deal with on a daily basis it could possibly be. Turns out. NONE Of them. :smiley:

Come to think of it, I think I’ve only heard it from someone doing a lousy accent.

My father-in-law pronounces “Wii” as “wee two”

Actually, I think most people would add an /w/ between ‘no’ and ‘idea’ unless they were pronouncing each word very carefully. It’s pretty difficult to stop making a sound when your lips end up rounded after the /əʊ/ in ‘no’. Say ‘no idea’ quickly several times in a row and concentrate on the hiatus.

Similarly, if you’re going to pronounce the /æ/ or /ə/ in ‘about’, it’s difficult to avoid adding an /r/ in between ‘idea’ and ‘about’ when you’re talking in natural conversation. At the end of the day, they’re just sounds that make it easier to get from one place to another. You might be blessed with a dexterous tongue, vocal cords etc, but I think most of us find connected speech easier and more effective when eliding, linking sounds etc.

Not a fan of most the descriptivist posts in this thread to be honest (Big T’s isn’t one of them). Just learn to lighten up. Language is a tool, and its primary concern is communication. If an idea or concept is being effectively communicated then there’s no point giving a damn about the exact pattern of sounds used to communicate it. If pronunciation causes confusion, then it’s a problem of course, and some posts describe that.

But seriously. You were thinking of packing up and going home just because of that? Relax a little, it’s just words. Now, if they had an annoying voice I might understand…

Of course, I meant prescriptivist. :smack: Shoot me now.

That’s just the British pronunciation. If I’m not mistaken, the person doing the voice over was British. Nicaragua is pronounced the same way, which I find highly amusing.

But a lot of people don’t pronounce the r, either. Jag-wah. Of course, a lot of these same people would say it like this: “Look over theyah! It’s a jagwah!” too :wink:

Is it really sub-sid-I-ary? I’ve mostly heard sub-sid-E-ary.

How about Renwah, the artist? You know, the one the rest of us call Renoir? Is that a British pronunciation? I could understand that, but not when Americans pronounce it that way.