Yanno, yanno pisses me off!

Yea, I can’t stan’ any viz music.

That’s spelled “Yabbut.”

Because it’s just a word. I don’t know why people get a bug up their butt about a legitimate dialectal feature, especially linguists. It’s part of my dialect, one which I was embarrassed of at first blush, but then took pride in when I found out it annoyed the crap out of some people.

I guess I’m just a bitch.

I don’t know. When someone can write three condescending paragraphs over such a trivial irritant, it’s sort of hard to resist.

I used to say sammich, as in, “may I please have a chicken sammich?” But now I say sammy, as in “ham sammy.”

ROTFLMAO ur teh funy

In Australia we are too sophisticated to use sammich. They have long been sangers here.

Although I do remember when I was a kid some people called them samboes.

Especially when that same someone had this to say about somebody else’s post. Heh.

I laugh at words like “sammich”, “edumacate”, and “li-berry”. If I wasn’t such a conformist, I would integrate them into my formal speech.

Where I’m from, they’re “buttys”.

“Aw, mam, gi’ us a chicken butty will ya, ta?”

This may be the perfect time to introduce my own personal favorite alternate spelling: supposably.

Please feel free to write “supposably” instead of “supposedly” from now on. It is a perfectly valid variant, according to the logic that “nucular” is a valid pronunciation of “nuclear” because it rhymes with “muscular,” and “nuclear” is too hard to say.

In my formative years in England we called 'em “sarnies.”

From the title of the thread I thought the OP was going off on a poster. Now I’m educated as to what “yanno” is supposed to mean… well, I’m aghast.

I could understand “ya-no” but “yanno” not only sounds fucking idiotic, it’s not even pronounced “ya know.” The double consonant means that it’s pronounced “yan-no.” Not “ya-no.” Which makes people who use this convention slobbering, mouth-breathing troglodytes who probably have tribal armband tattoos and a cartoon Calvin pissing on a Ford/Chevy symbol on the back of their ugly-assed ozone-layer destroying SUV.

:eek:

Are your pants actually on fire?

Seriously. Actually in flames?

You’re being a bit of one right now. As I explained in my last post, most of the people using it on the internet are not using a “legitimate dialectual feature”. They’re using a cutesy affectation. Why do I have to pretend that it’s any different? And when someone spends three weeks on vacation in England and comes back with an accent, do I have to pretend that that’s “legitimate” as well?

I actually thought this thread was going to be about Yanni and the OP had his name wrong, or something.

I’ve never seen anyone write “yanno” before, but if I saw it I would want to slap the person who used it.