Yay! I got the "best cancer!"

Now I am confused. Recently I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. I have been told that if a person has to have cancer, prostate is the way to go.

I thought that prostate cancer was good, because it often can be left alone if it is slow growing.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed because after finding blood in my urine I just had the blood test to screen for prostate cancer and I am going to have my bladder scoped as well.

I hope everything works out.

I found out the hard way that melanoma can go from “easy fix” to “holy fuck” real quick.

Best not to get cancer at all. It’s easier.

Yeah, well, 51% of us don’t have a prostate to begin with, so that’s one I will never have to worry about.

I have a ‘good-ish’ cancer, and my young, enthusiastic PCP broke me up when she was sharing the good news with me “That’s a cancer you can have until the day you die!”
I waited a beat and replied “Isn’t that all of them?”
(what she meant to say, of course, was ‘until you die of something else’!)
One of my best moments. Good times…
Good luck. I have heard your cancer is the best. Now I’m jealous!

Ugh…I knew this thread was about thyroid cancer as soon as I read the title. It was one of the earlier suspicions for the big ol’ medical mess I’ve been enduring for the last few years. I have Hashimoto’s (the first in my collection of 4 diagnoses during this process, whee!), and one of the first things they did was do a thyroid ultrasound followed by a biopsy of the nodules. One, I was surprised how much the biopsy hurt–you? Two, “good cancer,” no matter how it’s spun, is an oxymoron. So boo them.

Thinking the good thinks for you and that you have doctors who listen.

We just were discussing these at work (with regard to some medical software).

Thyroid cancers tend to be very slow-growing, and often don’t affect people at all. Doctors often take them out because CANCER.

That’s also the case with other cancers, include a a lot of prostate cancers. Medicine is diagnosing and treating more cancers because of improved technology. The problem is that we don’t yet have a way to determine which cancers will become problematic in which people.

Best of luck to you!

Right. It’s typically slow-growing and the man will die of something else before the prostate gets him. YMMV, etc.

As Wesley Clark said, better tests mean possibly unnecessary surgery or treatment as men say they want it gone even if it won't ever hurt them.

Why of course not! Some kinds of cancer are curable.

I found out today that it’s stage 1 and I may only need a partial thyroidectomy. Surgery is set for September 22.

It hurt like a sumbitch. I didn’t get an IV, only a shot of Lidocaine. I felt everything! :eek:

Stage 1 of the friendliest cancer there is!

Hooray!!!

Seriously, good luck with the surgery. Any kind of partial xxx-ectomy deserves compassion.

so far my cancer has been on removable body parts. I had overian cancer, they gave my hysterectomy and removed my overies, ive got a tumor in my breast that pretty much stays put, so im going to leave it alone.
so mine has been on removable body parts so far. no chemo im not doing that.

My mother had thyroid cancer when I was a small child (in the 80s). It was treated successfully with surgery. She has had significant neck problems ever since, though – her neck muscles have been weak ever since.

Best of luck, no complications, and a complete recovery!

My surgery is set for Friday, August 28th. I’m only in stage 1 and the nodule is small but they’re taking the whole thyroid as a precaution.

A friend of mine had her thyroid removed, and she had someone on the surgical team take a picture of it. Now she has a picture on her phone of her enlarged thyroid (4 cm nodule included) that she whips out on occasion. If you’re into medical oddities, you could give that a try! Also, once her incision had healed, she used vitamin E oil on the scar. She said it helped the scar fade faster. I have no idea if that is actual science or just woo, but it’s something you could look into.

I’m sorry you have to go through this, and you have every right to shake your fist at the universe in rage. However, hopefully you can find some comfort in the fact that you will almost certainly be living a perfectly normal and healthy life afterward. I wish you good luck with the whole process and a quick and easy recovery. Keep us posted!