Yes, yes, of course. But why those particular smallish cities for state capitals?

I wonder if you could ride a horse from the state RI Capitol to anywhere in the state in one day?

Ohio’s current capital was chosen because it was centrally located. It currently happens to be the largest city in the state.

Chillicothe was the first capital, I don’t know why it was chosen. Then Zanesville was the capital for a few years as a compromise to get a bill passed. It moved back to Chillicothe again before moving to Columbus in 1816.

Only if that horse were a really good swimmer. Part of the state is Block Island which is 14 miles out in the ocean. From Providence to Westerly is less than 50 miles though, and about as far as you can get away over land.

Madison, WI was chosen when the landowner promised to sell cheap land to legislatures. If they didn’t choose Madison as the capital thier land would not be worth much. But if they did, ka ching

I will dig up a cite

Bruan

I’ve heard that during the assignment of the capitol of Michigan, both Ann Arbor and Lansing were in the running. They ended up settling on Lansing. To balance it out, they decided to build the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor.

Judging by the current state of both cities, I would say Ann Arbor won that, even though they had to accept the door prize.

Yup.

That’s Mirabeau Bonaparte Lamar! He objected to Houston’s decent relations with the Native Americans, among other things. Houston thought the little town renamed after Stephen F Austin was too close to the Comancheria & vulnerable to the continuing threat from Mexico. Houston also wanted Texas to become a State–his loyalty to the Union later cost him the governorship when he refused to swear allegiance to the CSA. He was certainly a strong character.

The City of Houston was still a dump at the time. San Antonio was the only decent-sized town–but it was full of Tejanos!

The City of Houston grew mightily. I remember driving North toward Austin–as our Coastal Prairie gives way to gentle hills. Atop one hill, you could see the UT Tower & the Capitol Dome in a sea of trees. Now there’s a bunch of skyscrapers on the Austin skyline…

Looking at Arizona’s county lines, it seems to me they were designed to slice up the Navajo reservation and put the county seats as far from them as possible.

Often fail to grow? But sometimes did?

If you look at the Wikipedia chart linked to above you’ll see that the majority of state capitals are the largest or second largest cities in their states—and few of them are lower than fourth or fifth.

That means they’re almost all major population centers. No doubt being chosen as the capital played a big part in that.

Again, as noted above, Columbus didn’t even exist before its designation as capital and now it’s the largest city in Ohio, which has five more major population centers (Cleveland, Cincinnati, Toledo, Dayton, Akron-Canton, and Youngstown). Thus, its growth can be entirely credited to its capital status.

Honolulu for Hawaii is pretty easy: its the only large city in the state, was the territorial capital, and the kingdom’s capital before that.

Lahaina on Maui was the first capital. But Honolulu on Oahu was growing faster because it was a good port (Honolulu means “Fair Haven”) for whalers and later missionaries. The missionaries’ families basically (long convoluted story) started the sugar industry, and Honolulu really took off. It became so important due to commerce that in the 1840s, King Kamehameha III declared it the capital of the kingdom.

Well, that and having Ohio State University there. But one might be the result of the other.

Even if it wasn’t a real rule it’s a pretty good argument at the state house for selecting a central location.

Might be? It’s the only reason the university is there.

This perfectly explains why Albany is the capital of New York.

There are several books that go into more detail, but Albany was THE gateway to the west going back to the 1600’s. This was due to the Hudson and Mohawk river valleys forming an easy natural path through the Appalachians. Albany controlled the trade route and therefore had considerable influence, there was a reason why the Erie Canal originally began in Albany. This influence lasted until the decline of railroads in the 1960’s.

Today, while the city of Albany itself only has a population of about 100,000, it’s CSA (which is far more accurate) is over 1.1 million, making it the third highest CSA in the state and 45th highest in the country. Not really small by any measure. It is still a transportation hub for rail, and has an important in land port for ships

I am an Albany native, and live in one of it’s suburbs. I love my city, our main problem is that we are to close to NYC, so we tend to have an identity problem.

That said, it makes total sense to me that Albany is the capital.

Just to clarify, Albany is near the confluence of the two rivers, and was able to parlay that into control of the trade route.

I am very happy about the volume of responses on this. And now a book!

Thank you.

Not a state capital but a State University that has an interesting story for it’s location. The University of Florida is in Gainesville because there was a fresh water spring there and the state was offered unlimited free water for the University, no small thing at the time.

The “vast majority”? Using a very liberal definition of “centrally located” I count 20, which isn’t the vast majority of 37.

Also, besides Lincoln Nebraska, I can’t think of another example of a state capital that even “seems”–let alone was–built specifically to be the state’s capital, a la Brasilia (I know that’s a national capital, but the theory is the same). And even Lincoln’s story isn’t that simple.

Would siting the capitol at Anchorage be a political nonstarter in Alaskan politics?

Above is a post about Columbus, Ohio, which did not exist until it was chosen as the site for the new capital. Does that not fit?

Some, like Tallahassee and Carson City, used to be centrally located (with respect to the population) but aren’t any more.

Moving the capital to a location nearer the population center of Anchorage, probably in the Mat-Su Valley (or at least somewhere on the road system), has been a political football for decades. It’s been voted on (and approved) at least once, and brought up in legislative sessions many times. Opposition comes from Juneau, of course, as the legislature brings in dollars in the form of legislative sessions, lobbyists, etc. Juneau is worried that it will die, economically. Then there’s the prejudice against locating in the Anchorage Borough, as much of Alaska views Anchorage with suspicion. :rolleyes: That said, the legislature recently leased additional office space in Anchorage, but there is no real energy behind moving the capital at this point, as Alaska is in economic doldrums with the drop in oil production and prices.