Yikes. Oh well, I wasn't posting much anyway

Ellis Dee, I hope you wait a few weeks to see what the new site looks like when the dust settles. I at least would miss you come Giants time

I’m completely bumfuzzled. This is all news to me. I’m trying to post so I can see if I’m logged in.

EDITED IN: I am!

Can you make it transparent?

The gods have heard your cry in the wilderness. At least on my device and OS, SD Light now has square avatars.

I have a “rules” question, possibly related to this thread.

Hypothetically, if someone publicly announces that they’re leaving the board (rather than just, you know, leaving), can I publicly announce that I am putting them on my ignore list? Since they won’t be posting anymore and it apparently won’t matter, their feelings can’t even be hurt, right? It seems only fair…

I just noticed that, too. What fast service! :grinning:

Looks like yes. Also, I learned that the avatar in the post is dynamically updated (as I’d expect), but the one in quote appears to be a snapshot of that avatar at the time the text is quoted. So before I change this back to my green square/circle, I’ll reply to my own post to capture the transparent one I used.

Replied!

I dont care for it, but that’s likely because I am just not used to it yet. Give it a little time, eh?

Everything is a little too big and spread out. It’s hard to even find the page that lists all the forums, and then when you do you have to scroll a lot because each forum displays huge squares with 3 sticky messages listed in each. Wish there was a way to condense that.

Click the pins beside the sticky threads to make them sink downthread.

Click Categories to get to the forums list (or set Categories as your landing page at Preferences >> Interface under Default Home Page.

For the spread and white space, try different themes. But that’s always going to be something of an issue.

Oh thank you! I will try these things. I have played around with UI but they are all basically the same with different colors or fonts. I landed on Discourse Classic as it’s white boxes with a light gray background instead of white on white.

Hah! You just solved yet another one of my problems! You get a new badge! :medal_military:

Okay, so how do you look at stickies again after you disappear them? There are some forums that I don’t frequent as much and am not as familiar with the rules. Didn’t realize they’d disappear even from inside the actual forum itself!

ETA I guess they sink, after further rereading. Everything so different :flushed:

I normally just search for them. Use terms like rules and read this. If I miss something, it’s their own damn fault for having a bazillion stickies.

If you’ll go to the forum first, then click the magnifying glass, you’ll search just in that forum (make sure the checkbox is checked). Same thing for searching a user’s posts–go to their profile, then click the search button.

So, are they going to post here from now on or not?

I’ll be back for fantasy football leagues, but up until this thread it had been 3 weeks since my previous post so was I really even here to begin with?

I will say that adding in the mouse-over preview goes a long way toward restoring the messageboard-iness of the experience here, so kudos on that.

Everyone makes their own decisions, of course, but (to paraphrase a famous bible verse) the easygoing will inherit the web.

The biggest problem with being picky is that we are not eternal beings. Yes there is a big advantage of not settling for what you don’t want but don’t also forget that time is passing fast. Of course i am not asking you to lower your standards or to give up on the important things you want just because time is running but i am just asking you to be more flexible when it comes to the trivial matters that you can easily sacrifice. Stay picky but don’t over do it.

Holy shit. Why did the administrators fix something that wasn’t broken? Financial incentive from some software developer?

It was kind of broken and dated. People have invested effort and time in improving everyone’s experience.
I say we should thank these people rather than criticizing them.