You are Prime Minister, what do you put in your 'Letters of Last Resort'?

Thanks for the answers everyone, its certainly made me pause and reconsider my initial reply, though I still think I wouldn’t order a retaliatory response I would hold on to the warheads…just in case.

Would a single strike on London be enough to even theoritically take out all command and control? Surely the UK has backup plans in case of that very scenario. Granted the immediate aftermath would probably be utter confusion but somebody or some group should be able to fairly quickly step into the leadership role.

Could a monarch order or direct a military response though? The Armed Forces swear loyalty to the Crown but real power rests with the civilian government. Though with London and said civilian government gone I wonder how far down the chain of succession the new monarch would be?

The third option still doesn’t sit well with me but I can see the logic, however if there are four ballistic missile submarines then thats four potential different centres of decision making, one commander may choose to launch while the other three hold off. (I’m aware that one sub is always in for refit but it could still ‘launch from the pier’ assuming it wasn’t destroyed in the initial attack)

I have no problem with retaliating against the enemy political and military leadership but not against the civilian population, especially in a nation like the USSR or North Korea how much say does the average citizen have over the policies and actions of their leadership?

I’m not sure what you mean by the above, could you rephrase it? This time preferably without the snark?

btw I forgot to say, I like your answer Baron Greenback!

Anyway, off to bed…

I believe there are measures in place.

Absolutely. Many have seen military service. Harry and Andrew, for instance, have served honourably (if not with distinction) in battle. And it was only a little over 200 years ago that a British monarch last led his troops in battle.

But the government probably isn’t there any more. The new Monarch will likely gather as many members of the Privy Council (who are mainly senior politicians) as are available and rule through that until a new Parliament can be elected.

The meteor strike is an interesting scenario though. What happens if a 1000 megaton equivalent asteroid comes rolling in and takes out the UK.

When they lose contact with, i presume, routine status reports. How much checking do they do before opening the sealed orders. Hopefully they at least run up an antennae and scan the airwaves for information.

This is why the US once had on the order of 17,000 nukes - you can’t be sure every warhead will reach its target - so, in addition to the first one aimed at the bunker, you need at least five to ensure one of them will hit. Oopps! They just installed an anti-missile defense for that bunker - we will need to take out that missile battery BEFORE we launch those 5 actually aimed at the bunker. Add another 5 to make sure those don’t kill the original 5.
You now need 10 warheads to take out that bunker. Add in a few for each other possible defending system, and things get out of hand real quick.

Now, repeat process with the subs - if you have one of you boats docked, it is going to be the first thing to be destroyed. What if it was the one with the 10 warheads for that super-critical target? You are going to allocate at least some of the warheads on the other boats to replace those.

If the bomber has already taken that bunker out, you need to either re-target those warheads or waste them.

This is why C&C is such a critical strategic tool, and why it is the first thing destroyed in a war.

The Internet was developed by the US DoD to use the ATT network to entirely duplicate the DoD’s own network, should somebody actually manage to take it out.

Now do you see the need for the remaining boats to get current info and work out who does what with the remaining weapons.

And yes, they should know the status of friendly and enemy communications and who controls them.

There is a story that during one of the Arab v Israel wars, Egyptian fighters got into Israeli airspace, The Israel air controllers switched to the Egyptian frequency and hailed the pilots:
Brothers! Great News! We have captured the city! Land and join the celebration! You are Heroes!

It worked.

Once things get hot, communication is vital - had the pilots checked in with THEIR homes, they would have known that the city had not been captured, and the war would have been a very different war.

Before you act on instructions from some other country, you’d damned well know who is sending those orders.

If you have been advised we are at war (and I assume there would be enough time to send the message out that ICBMs were inbound), then retaliate against the aggressor per your pre-coded launch instructions.

If you lose contact suddenly, without a clear indication as to who attacked, then link up with surviving UK forces (as previously mentioned, Canada, Australia, New Zealand) and await further orders.

If they are off-line, attempt link-up with United States Forces.

If they are off-line, proceed on your own recognizance.

God save the Queen.

(note: I’m a 'murrican - I assume the pre-written orders given to any ballistic missile sub commander would be similar, with their own nations substituted for the UK as appropriate)

Do whatever the Doctor says.

Canada, New Zealand and Australia are not UK forces. Those are sovereign nations.

Commonwealth, I think you mean.

I’ve only seen reference to British letters of last resort, and numerous opinions that having such things weakens deterrence because they introduce doubt as to whether or not retaliation will actually be forthcoming - from a deterrence perspective, I can see the benefit of having a policy of retaliation that everybody, especially potential enemies knows about and I’m wondering if other countries have that system.

Head for Australia and establish communication with the Australian authorities. If communication cannot be established and/or Australia has been overrun or destroyed by the enemy, scuttle the boat and save the crew. Don’t fire the nukes. If you manage to get to a shore safely, quickly re-establish The Ministry Of Silly Walks.

These would be my orders, as well. Since the subs are armed with torpedoes, as well (Vanguard-class submarine - Wikipedia), and since some of our enemies’ warships may still be at sea, I would order the captain to carry out attacks against our foes while able to do so, and then to proceed to the nearest relatively safe allied port (U.S., Canadian, Australian or New Zealand) and place himself under the command of that nation.

See The Last Ship by William Brinkley for a similar scenario involving a U.S. guided-missile destroyer caught up in WWIII.

‘Exterminate all the brutes’.

I think this sums it up well, though I would make a slight change.

Keep #1:

#1) If you have been advised we are at war (and I assume there would be enough time to send the message out that ICBMs were inbound), then retaliate against the aggressor per your pre-coded launch instructions.

#2) If you lose contact, try to establish contact with other UK forces

#3) Next try to coordinate with surviving NATO command structure/forces.

#4) If they are off-line, proceed on your own recognizance.

Sorry to give short shrift to Australia & New Zealand, but I think NATO should take precedence.

Yours truly started a similar thread entitled “You’re the POTUS. A nuclear first strike is inbound. Do you authorise the second strike?”

I meant “retaliatory strike” rather than “second strike”, but feelings ran strong, from letting rip with everything in the American arsenal until the remains of Moscow glowed, to attempting a limited strike on military targets, to doing absolutely nothing at all since MAD had already failed.

If I were in command of the Vanguard class subs I’d order them to attempt to link up with remaining NATO and Commonwealth nations to establish what has actually happened before surfacing and firing, once it had been established to the commander’s satisfaction that the UK had been attacked with nuclear weapons from a foreign power it is time for the ultimate defence of the realm. Make priority targets any likely remaining nuclear capabilities said power has and military bases. If the submarine is in imminent danger of being sunk then fire at any targets of opportunity.

If in doubt; head to Australia and read On the Beach.

I think scuttling the queen is taking things a little too far.

Find a desert island well away from the fallout zone. Restart civilization.

Nuke Argentina. It’s the only way to be sure.

20 years ago, I would have said nukes might be an option but not knowing who it is (foreign terrorists, Iran, domestic terrorists, Iceland [Bjork is crazy]) they have to be off the table.

And I disagree with putting yourself under U.S. control. I’ve gone to school in England and love it and hope to be an expatriate in London in a couple of years and hell I maybe even become a British citizen 5 years after that but I can tell you that we don’t think like the British and that is not what you want in that situation.

So my Letter of Last Resort is to report to the nearest Commonwealth country. God Save the Queen!

It would begin:

“Before the command for “weapons free,”
The Captain must answer these riddles three…”

And then I have to think about the next few parts a little bit. One is definitely going to be about an island of Liars and Truth-tellers.

Thanks for the answers everyone!

Thanks for the link!

I have to admit that one made me genuinely laugh out loud.

Currently reading a very well done Cold War Gone Hot timeline on another forum:

I’m not sure what the policy is on linking to other forums, if its against standard operating procedure I apologise profusely and any mods feel free to nuke it with extreme prejudice.

edited to add a random thought: one of my favourite movies growing up was the HBO Special, ‘By Dawns Early Light’, rewatched it recently and it still stands up well, the book its based on ‘Trinity’s Child’ isn’t as good as the movie but still worth a read.

Even if that Commonwealth country is some dump like Nigeria, Bangladesh or Pakistan?