You don't know anything! SHUT UP, SHUT UP, SHUT UP!

I don’t use PubMed, I use CAS. The PubMed hits are just annoying duplications.

But I agree, that’s another example of just how dumb this whole thing is.

Private sector here.

My company needs action from a government agency before the end of May. If the agency doesn’t act, agencies of other governments can’t do what they need to do, and banks and boards and partners won’t do what we need them to do. This could be very, very, very bad for a small company.

Take heart, federal employees, you will probably still have a job when this is over.

From OPM issued this afternoon:

Some guidelines are out there already, subject to change this weekend. Different agencies have different plans. We are already ordered not to use any government equipment if there is a shutdown (vehicles, computers, Blackberries, cell phones, etc.) as all will be monitored for any use during a shutdown. Any use during a shutdown may involve disciplinary action, including termination as a possible consequence.

Oh, yeah. You need to get a grip. mischievous, you have a job. You’re just being told not to report to work and you will not be paid while furloughed (with no guarantee that you will be paid after the fact once this mess is cleaned up). It’s highly possible that many of the 20 million federal contractors may be out of a job as well on Monday. Since their salaries come from tax dollars they, too, will have no money coming in and have a greater potential than you they cannot recoup any income losses while in a non-work status.

There are many Dopers who are unemployed, have been for a while and really hurting.

So quit your whining.

:eek::eek::eek:

What, am I supposed to depend on my BRAIN for information now?!

Well, you voted for them :d&r:

Actually, (at least to start with), mischievous was pitting the people at her workplace who are whining. (And running around in circles, screaming and shouting, and lighting their hair on fire.)

You know, far be it for me to criticize, being from Canada and not really understanding what’s going on and all, but…

A system that allows the entire government to be shut down while waiting for waring sides to suddenly get along strikes me as being quite crack-a-lack, if ya know what I mean.

I’m really not sure how this plays out in Canada - I believe if the budget fails to pass (generally) there’s a non-confidence motion, we go to the polls, and we keep using the old budget until a new government is elected. Is that (i.e. using the old budget till a new one can be hammered out) not doable in the US for some reason?

Shutdown averted.

Looks like my NIH grant will be reviewed next week after all.

That’s what I’m talking about! The Dems compromised, but then held firm on the compromise until the Pubbies had to agree to it. Or, at least, that’s how it seems based on that article. I sure hope my interpretation’s right.

And, while we’re at it, any chance these departments will get together and figure out an actual plan on how to handle something like this instead of each apparently handling it themselves? Unless, of course, the lack of knowledge was part of the plan to create more chaos and make the Pubbies have to sign. If so, I welcome our new Demmies with actual balls.

I don’t know if I’d use our system as a shining example at this point, what with four elections in seven years. Good thing they’re all free and don’t cost the taxpayers anything! Oh, wait…
:slight_smile:

In Canada a Governor General’s Warrant is used for funding during periods when Parliament is not sitting (including during election campaigns). When it’s sitting and still arguing over the budget details (i.e. the government hasn’t fallen because the budget was rejected outright), a preliminary “interim supply” bill that provides 3 month’s financing for most departments, and more for various critical areas is passed before the debate begins.

The budget process in Westminster parliaments is significantly different from the US system, as the government would have fallen and an election been called long before they reached the stage the US Congress was at.

Just checking back in to say thanks to all who offered sympathy, and mixed relief and exasperation that the whole mess was in vain anyway.

Cheers,
mischievous

See you in two years.

Or Friday. The only bill that was actually passed and signed was to extend funding to the 15th. It is claimed that an agreement has been reached for the budget year (which we’re already halfway through) and that that will be passed and signed in the coming week, but we’ll see.

Partyin’ partyin’ yeah!

There’s also going to be the fight over raising the debt limit in a couple months. But there are all sorts of other options the government has there before it shuts down.

Incidentally, is there any other country that has anything similar when it comes to passing a budget? This whole situation is pretty ridiculous.