You don't know what you're talking about = direct insult?

But John, the “Don’t pay attention”, part is what was substantive. Steering the conversation is a good thing. Smacking down bad ideas is a good thing. Insult-fests are of course bad for GD, so we are discussing matters of calibration.

At any rate I was curious about what the civility advocates thought about this. I would recommend that they click the link for context. In particular, was there an obvious way of expressing the underlying legitimate point?

I disagree with this actually: I perceive exaggeration. You don’t really need a code book right now. Just try not to be personal in your remarks. [1]

Wolfpup captured the general issue here:

Curbs on direct insults in GD fight ignorance. But so does setting aside bad ideas and focusing on more defensible and therefore debatable ones. That said, I’m doing a fair amount of hand-wringing in this post: I’m not exactly outraged by the OP.
Issue #2
Hm. I can see things evolving whereby a broader spectrum of posters get caught out with 5 warnings in 2 years, whereas they might have had zero warnings under older civility standards. That’s ok, but I’m not sure whether it’s what we want. Or rather I’m not sure whether it’s what we want in all cases.

[1] Case in point: “I perceive exaggeration”, was actually a personal remark (and apologies Morgenstern) but it added clarity (if also hypocrisy :frowning: ).