You have five minutes to evacuate your house: what do you grab?

Well, at least you’d be able to cook dinner.

My mom
Favorite Stuffed Animal (don’t no one snicker :mad:)
Cell Phone
Ipad
Laptop

In that order, with mom obviously being the most important.

Husband, dogs, medications, purse, phone, box with important papers, a couple pieces of heirloom jewelry if possible.

A sack full o’ money.

• File with birth certificate, passport, etc.
  • Laptop.
  • Guns.
  • Precious metals.

And, I guess if I’m being honest, my bras, underwear and corsets. It helps that all of this is kept in the same room, and these are definitely among my most expensive possessions.

Laptop (if there are several around, the newest one), its charger, mouse, wallet, passport, keys. If I have time for more, I’ll drop a bunch of underwear*, a couple of tees and a second pair of trousers into the laptop carrier. The carrier I have is big enough to carry clothes for a week, I’ve used it as my only luggage in business trips. The pendrives and internet-anywhere gizmo live in the carrier.

If I’m in my house or at Mom’s, I’d also grab the backup HD I keep there (yes, one in each. There is no such thing as “too many backups”, at least when you work in sort-of-IT as a consultant).

• You have any idea how difficult it is to find bras that fit? Well yeah, you probably do, either first- or second-hand. So. I’m bringing mine, damnit.

Assuming my kids can get themselves out of the house, five minutes is actually enough time to calmly but quickly prep some stuff without being in full panic mode- like if you said I had 30 seconds to grab & go. But in 5 minutes, I could quickly pack a small bag with a change or two of clothes for me and my wife, while she makes up a bag for our kids; on my way out of the house I’d grab the laptop & cord, phone (on my way out the door), my daughter’s EpiPen and maybe a photo album or two. Although if this is an apocalyptic scenario I’d modify things somewhat, as opposed to a “in five minutes your home will self-destruct” type of scenario.

Partner
Cats
Wallet/keys
Computer
Medications
Art work (my parents’ and my own)

My purse.
My 48 years worth of diaries. The only things I could not replace.

Hard Drive.

Coin collection.

Spouse.

Vital papers.

Wallet.

Keys.

Meds.

Ancestral photo album, with pics dating to civil war in it.

Celtling
Her favorite cuddle toy
Our “Go” bags (gym bags with change of clothes, medicine, etc.)
My purse

If still time:

Computer
photo albums

We have a ‘GO’ bag (that will need to be updated, now that I think about it, since we have another kid on the way) that has clothes, food, water filter, cd-rom with all important documents, and enough various other stuff to keep us in good shape for 3-4 days.

Grab that, the dog, the dog food tub, the kid(s), and we’re off.

My computer and the files with all the stuff I’ve written and drawn. If that’s destroyed, there’s basically no point to me being alive.

Thank you, that’s funny. But in this fire emergency of my youth I learned something, I took a look around at everything I owned and had a few minutes to decide what to take.

And other than the few things I grabbed I was surprisingly ok with just stepping out the door and leaving everything behind.

Now I do have a fire safe with all the birth certificates and car titles, etc, that I would also grab. But it was sort of liberating to realize that the couch, TV, etc. were something that I could just walk away from.

The fire fighters got there soon after that and though water was already pouring out of the ceiling around the light fixtures, we pushed everything into the center of the room and they covered it all with heavy tarps. Even though parts of the ceiling and a lot of water, came down, I was able to recover most of my stuff.

So we took our stuff to a new place, and I realized it was just stuff.

Husband, kid, purse, iPad, phone, firebox.

What’s the scenario? Natural disaster and the like - kids, meds bag, bug out bag, canned food, cash & phones. All vital documents are backed up offsite.

Nuclear war or foreign invasion - the above, plus all the guns & ammo. (Wolverines!)

First, I sit and think about it for about 90 seconds. Ok, done that.

Favorite sharp kitchen knife. (The hardest non-personal thing to replace)
Stashed cash.
Passport, address book, and various credit/ID cards
Backup travel drive from my computer.
Put clothes on, especially good walking shoes.

That’s about it.

All this talk of having to suddenly leave (see threads on your spouse coming home to announce you have to leave _right_now) makes me want to get something like this ebay item and keep the passorts, an extra credit card, some cash and thumbdrives in it. I’d call it The (going-on-the) Lam Bag

Wife, dogs, wallet, laptop.
Everything else is either well-protected or replaceable.

I used to be a major band nerd. When I was in 8th grade my parents bought me a very expensive upgrade with F-attachment (meaning it can go an octave lower.) It’s probably the most sentimental thing I own. And I never play the damned thing anymore. :dubious:

ETA: Oh, yeah, medications, good point. I’d have to bring those because I’m useless without them.