You have little/no hope for the future under Trump. What do you tell the kids in your life?

Trump has already been shown to pick conspiracy theorists for major cabinet positions, to ignore intelligence briefings, and to write off intelligence agencies when they don’t tell him what he wants to hear (Russia hacking the election for example).

So if a terror attack happens, I don’t think the public will give Trump the benefit of the doubt the way people did for Bush. People will know before the attack happened that Trump wasn’t taking national security seriously.

Certainly some people will do as you say. Other people will be swallowing the Trump propaganda completely.

I’d like to hope that responsible voices will carry the public debate. It didn’t happen in most of 2016 and that was before he had the bulliest of bully pulpits.

“Kids, this is exactly why I didn’t have you.”

"Son, Trump is pushing hard to abolish “time outs” and re-institute ass beatings. The bill sponsored by house majority leader Kevin McCarthy, is gaining traction on both sides of the aisle. Although, there does seem to be some debate on how said ass beating should be administered.

Republicans are pushing for pants down, leather belt. While those sissy ass, bleeding libs are pushing for pants up, open palm.

Despite this debate, the bill seems likely to pass with an overwhelming majority.

So, in short son, I strongly recommend you behave yourself and do as you’re told for the duration of the Trump’s presidency. Lest I have to give you you’re mandatory ass beating.

Sleep tight son."

I also agree with that, give or take quibbling about the exact numbers.

And when it comes to your kids it could go beyond frivolous to over emphasize political to and fro, to the point of teaching them to make excuses for their own shortcomings, which is outright parental malpractice.

My almost six-year-old daughter knows that there was an election, and that, unfortunately, a man who is a bully won. I’ve told her it’s very important not to be a bully, and just because the President does something, that doesn’t mean it’s OK. Now is the time when it’s more important than ever to stand up against bullies.

This is a good life lesson: sometimes, things don’t go your way, and you just have to deal with it the best you can. And like Mr. Rogers said, “Look for the helpers. There are always people in there trying to help.” So do the best you can to be a good person, and someday things will go your way.

I will say “Kids, in a democracy we get the government we deserve. Unfortunately it seems we all deserve a swift kick to the nuts.”

But seriously, while I do think there will be a lot of harm done during the Trump presidency, I don’t think it is harm that can’t be repaired later. Hyperbole isn’t the sole domain of conservatives. Stay positive, proactive and vote.

My kids range in age 43-51 and are as appalled as me. One thing is that they were hoping for my wife and me to move to the US near one of them and that is now on hold until we see what happens to medicare.

Their kids (ages 8-22) are also well aware, all of them, of Trump and what to expect. The worst effect Trump will have is on climate change. Finally, when the rest of the world is finally starting to take it seriously, along comes Trump to push fossil fuels as hard as possible and reverse the few baby steps Obama has taken.

Oh for fuck’s sake. A month ago the same people were saying there would never be a Republican controlled Congress ever again.:rolleyes:

Stop being reasonable. Our children need to be made as afraid as humanly possible.