You just ordered a club sandwich.

But again, by ordering a TUNA club you’ve forfeited all rights to any expectations. That’s just. . . wrong.

The Free Dictionary says nothing about bacon; just “various meats”, two or three slices of bread, tomato, lettuce and dressing. Although the thesauras on the same page specifically says three slices of bread.

Merriam Webster says three slices of bread, with two layers of meat, lettuce, tomato and Mayo. No bacon listed.

All Words dot com says three slices of bread with two fillings.

Wikipedia says frequently three slices of bread, and traditionally with bacon, but not always.

I’m going to have to say that bacon is not required to be a true club sandwich.

However, I’m also going to say that before I eat it, I want bacon on there!

mmmm open face club sandwich

She brought me a plate with three slices of bacon and didn’t charge me extra.

The thing is, I’ve ordered this same sandwich a million times.

The bar actually has a whole “club sandwich” section. They have a “Hopkins Club” a “Loyola Club” a “UMBC Club” etc. Local college names, dig?

And, I’ve had a few of them and they always have bacon. One of them, for instance, is a fried-fish filet club sandwich. There’s a roast beef club. A turkey club, obviously. Maybe a chicken breast club.

Like I said in the OP, I DIDN’T declare, “it’s a club sandwich, of course it has bacon”. I did tell her, “this particular sandwich always has bacon”.

So, I’m guessing that it’s a function of whoever was cooking in the back.

I guess I made it 34 years without ever having to ask, “does the club sandwich come with bacon” but from now on. . .

It’s always hard to participate in the crumbling of our society. It’s like having to ask a resturant that’s having a Friday all you can eat perch fry if they have malt vinegar first, because more and more of them don’t. Buncha savages in this town…

A turkey club better have bacon, and a chef’s salad without meat is just a house salad. If the menu just calls it a “club sandwich” then the menu had better specify exactly what is in the sandwich, including whether they think mayonnaise is assumed or automatic (I hate mayo, so this assumption riles me). The only thing you can assume with a club is that it may come with 3 slices of bread - nobody ordering a sandwich is going to complain if there’s extra bread.

I recently found out that if it ain’t got no bacon, it ain’t no club.

hh

If you order a club sub at Subway you get roast beef, ham and turkey, no bacon. You can order bacon extra but :confused: .

Actually it’s quite good but it’s not a club sandwich.

All this talk of turkey and bacon made me crave a club sandwich from the deli next door. Turns out the **don’t even have ** bacon!
Their menu lists a “Zesty Clubhouse”: Ham and turkey, Swiss and cheddar on white toast or wild rice bread with lettuce, tomato, mayo and tangy stoneground mustard.
Granted it’s a small menu at a deli that claims to be “Naturally Good”, but absolutely nothing has bacon in it, on it, or with it.

I mourn.