You preferred method of travel?

If anyone else does I’ll start a new thread to avoid hijacking this one. My wife actually published a story/essay about it, though it wasn’t totally accurate.

Trains, definitely.

+1

Small plane. As a variety of my threads show, I prefer flying myself. My hate for modern air travel (airline) burns very, very hot. If I can’t pilot myself there, I’ll drive.

It depends on how far away. If it’s a day or two drive, definitely car. If it’s more than 3 days or I just want to GET there I’d pick plane. Granted, I’d love to skip the airport and the stupid security ‘theater’.

Boats and all kinds of watercraft are my nemesis. I have a fear of deep water and I get motion sickness easily.

I chose by car, and especially if I am the passenger, I LOVE LOVE LOVE just kicking back and wtching the scenery,being in charge of the CD player, reading, snoozing… LOVE IT.

Bus isn’t bad if the seats are comfortable, been on 2 that were nice, 1 that was like sitting on a folding chair for 4 or 5 hours. Plane is OK, but nothing fun there. Never been on a long distance train ride but I’n sure I would love it.

My favorite transportation of all is horseback, but I see how that could get old, traveling cross-country…

Trains. I love traveling by train beyond all reason. I even enjoyed the train ride from DC to Baltimore for my bar exam. And one of the best parts of my trip to Montreal was the train ride there. Trains are amazing places in themselves.

When I said we don’t want to hear it, I was being extremely sarcastic. So +2.

I’d like to hear it too!

I chose other: motorhome/RV. There is nothing better than having your home with you and being able to go wherever you want, stop wherever you like, etc. I miss living in a van.

I propose the following bridge system encompassing the US, Canada, Greenland, Iceland, Ireland, and the UK. All the middle sections get driven across, for example the bridge would spit you out into Port Aux Basques, Nfld, and you would drive to St. John’s for the next bridge leg.

Cape Cod-Nova Scotia mainland-Cape Breton-Newfoundland-Greenland-Iceland-Ireland-Liverpool.

When I travel for pleasure, I want to get to my destination as quickly as possible, and since there are no transporters, teleporters, or stargates, any mode of travel is painful for me, with driving being about the worst.

I can’t be in a car for longer than two hours without getting sleepy, so driving long distances is out of the question, and I’m a horrible passenger because the sleepier I get, the more concerned I become that the driver is going to get into an accident as I doze off, so I remain awake and become crankier by the minute.

I’ve gone on two cruises, which were actually quite nice, but two trips where I experienced being 80 years old, decades before I am, are about as many as I can take.

I’ve taken Amtrak a few times for work, but never for personal reasons and, based on that limited experience, I can honestly say I will never take a train for personal reasons unless I have no other choice. It feels like I will never, ever, ever get there. How do you people stand it?

In my younger days, when I was poor and living on ramen, I had occasion to take the Greyhound bus and, oh my, was that a horrible way to travel or what? Filthy buses, filthier passengers, and a palpable air of impending doom and homicide. Never again.

These days, I pretty much live at the airport as I constantly have to fly for work. The only time flying becomes remotely bearable for me in when I have to go to Europe or Asia as business class is not simply a larger seat but a materially different experience than economy class. Whenever I have to fly domestically, which is most of the time, I pray to the sweet lord jesus christ, who I don’t even believe in, to shoot me in my freaking head just so I don’t have to experience the torture anymore. For reasons I cannot fathom, the sweet lord jesus christ is a masochist and has seen to it that my torture never ends as I have another painful flight booked to Boston and then to New Orleans in a couple of weeks.

When it comes down to it, I guess my preferred method of travel is sleep.

All depends =)

I love boats, and do not suffer motion sickness at all.
I love road trips, crank the music, get a splenda sweet tea or iced coffee or hot tea or hot coffee, a bag of cut up fruit and veggies as snacks and hit the road.
I love trains, especially if I can get a sleeper or one of the seats that lays back into a sleeper.
I love airplanes, if I can get a seat wide enough for my fat ass that lays back into a sleeper.

Do I have time for a slow leisurely trip with an unlimited budget?
car if I don’t have to cross an ocean
airplane if I have to cross an ocean, and a rental car when I hit land at the other side.

Ultimate? Private lease small jet and rental car at the other end.

I will admit that the help given to me in the airports as a gimp actually makes terminals not as horrible as it could be - I get wheelchair and golf cart in various combinations, and expedited travel through back hallways. Getting through TSA inspections is still stupidly annoying, but at least I go through an alternate line so I am not stuck in line forever [though I do tend to show up way early so I get through stuff when it isn’t as crowded, and make an effort when dressing and packing to allow maximum TSA paranoia easing. I can dress entirely withoout metal =)]

I meant sadist, which shows that I’m so upset at having to fly domestically again that I can’t even conjure up the correct words. Yeah, that’s it. :wink:

Seconded.

That’s the best. I don’t recommend riding a sportster from AZ to WV, but the people I met while doing it and the memories are some of the best. In May, we will do it again, but I’ll be riding bitch on a Harley Ultraglide. I’m so looking forward to it.