You will be burnt at the stake: How much pain to expect?

Possibly Cathars, rather than Jews. Dominic is known for his efforts to convert and/or eradicate the Cathars. I have no idea what’s going on with those penises, which can be seen in better detail here.

I just (last night) watched the **Sopranos Season 5 **episode in which Dr Melfi mentions an Auto-da-fe and I was going to look it up but forgot about it until I stumbled into this thread.

This place is awesome.

There’s a thread exactly on this somewhere. I think the consensus was no such luck.

Thank you very much.–LB

I would assume it would be possible to ask doctors or nurses who have dealt with burn patients about an answer to this question rather than speculation? It’s not like people haven’t been burned terribly in modern times.

You can find out what it’s like yourself, if you’d like.

Find the hottest hot sauce you possibly can. Stick some of that in your mouth, then imagine the HORRIBLE BURNING all over your whole body.

Capsaicin (the chemical that makes hot peppers hot) essentially lowers the temperature that the nerves that trigger pain/heat activate at to lower then body temperature - so what you are feeling is literally what it would feel like to be on fire since it’s the same nerves going off.

(don’t actually do this, super hot sauce can be harmful or fatal if you eat some straight out of the bottle. Just eat a jalapeño instead and imagine it 100x worse)

Those aren’t their penises, they are a penis-shaped spike driven into the wood of the stake, probably to keep the victims from sliding down and strangling themselves before the burning. (Notice that the men are tied to the stake by a rope aroung their necks). There are a couple of examples in the Museo de la Inquisicion in Mexico City.

Those aren’t their penises, they are a penis-shaped spike driven into the wood of the stake, probably to keep the victims from sliding down and strangling themselves before the burning. (Notice that the men are tied to the stake by a rope around their necks). There are a couple of examples in the Museo de la Inquisicion in Mexico City.

Dudes are perched on some sort of post, it is a minor torture, also seen in the movie version of Much Ado About Nothing, the scene where the 2 guys who conspired and lied are being questioned. Here, about the 4 minute mark.

Huh. Thanks.

I presume with the added benefit that the metal heats up and carries the heat to areas that otherwise might not get the full effect before death sets in?

The Germans called them Tommy Cookers.

I accidently saw that once :frowning: