Your 18-yo child has an older lover. What's the minimum age difference you're comfortable with...

AIUI, those sorts of agreements aren’t legally binding.

I do think there’s something of a difference between 16 and 18. Yes, the age of consent/adulthood is arguably a bit arbitrary, but most people do change a fair bit between 16 and 18. You’re right that maturity (especially emotional maturity) varies a lot between people. If I had a 16-year old kid who wanted to date an older person, I’d probably encourage them to keep the relationship platonic, or at least hold off on sex, till they were 18. Two years is not that long to wait in the scheme of things.

The older I get (I’m 32), the less comfortable I am making judgments about people’s romantic and sexual lives (beyond some clear moral lines). Mostly because people are complicated, and what they want out of romantic relationships is often really complicated too, and isn’t going to be the same for everyone.

I think the reason a woman might want to date a much younger man is probably not too different from why a man might want to date a much younger woman. Maybe she likes taking on a dominant, ‘motherly’, provider-protector type role, much as a lot of men do (including me). I know a guy who started dating a woman 20 years older when he was about 19, and they’re still married today (I think it’s been 15 years or so).