Your best guess WRT the suitcase in Pulp Fiction

Well, yeah. His motel imploded, leaving him penniless and a shrunken shell of a man. A few years later, he sneaks his way back into the US figuring his appearance had changed radically enough so that he wouldn’t be captured.

Unfortunately, he still had to find work but couldn’t because his alter-identity started to fray and Andy was worried that it would draw some scrutiny. Realizing that he’s f-ed no matter what, he gives up his dreams of normalcy and becomes a petty thief.

Damn… that Tarantino is a genius! :wink:

That line - “Is that what I think it is?” - is quite useful. It eliminates a lot of things.

It eliminates a lot of unique objects that Ringo would not recognize: Holy Grail, Tesseract, a soul, etc. It also eliminates anything too obvious to ask about, ie. stacks of dollar bills.

But a bunch of shiny stones could be diamonds or beads. White powder in plastic bags could be heroin or baking soda. Ringo might have a fair idea about which is more likely, but wants some confirmation.

It was the script for Hateful Eight.

I’ve read what was ACTUALLY in that suitcase. But given the glow I always figured it was some gold (I think Quentin Tarantino has basically been quoted, about the contents of that suitcase, that “it’s whatever the viewer wants it to be.”).

It is a McGuffin.

It’s a Royalle with cheese.

But what *kind *of McGuffin? A classic, art deco 1920s style McGuffin, a post-war stainless steel McGuffin, a 1968 genuine plastic (don’t settle for imitations) McGuffin, or a 2000XP Turbo Laser Stealth McGuffin?

It’s an important distinction! I don’t think anyone would call the 2000XP “beautiful”. They would the 1920s version, but those are too fragile to carry around in just any old briefcase.

And it (more or less) fits in with Jules’ “It’s my boss’s laundry” comment.

The Golden Apple of Discord. The little trinket that started the Trojan War.

Jules tells Ringo what it is - “My boss’ dirty laundry.”

Another way of saying, “My boss’ biggest secret?”

I took that to be Jules trying to make Ringo think it was literally dirty laundry so he’d lose interest in it.

At first, I did too, but now I’m wondering if it’s a Tarantino easter egg of sorts…

It’s an Egg McGuffin.

Perfect answer :smiley:

With cheese.

dammit!

A 1920’s Style Death McGuffin?

I think it is one of the aliens from the trunk of the Chevy Malibu in “Repo Man”. A baby one, perhaps.

And the glow comes from the Golden Arches!

Not the Golden Arcs? Serving the Big Mc rather than the Big Mac?

You know, our buns don’t have seeds.

But the golden arches are only in France. In Tarantino’s world they eat at Big Kahuna Burger.