Your Best Job Search/Interview Tips

Why? The letter is twice the length it should be, and I don’t need to know about her breeding capabilities, but it did emphasize traits that would be of use to the hiring manager, and for that job I suspect chatty and up is a better approach than formal. It would definitely make me give her resume a second look.

If she was applying for a job as an accountant or attorney, not so much though.

Don’t be over 50 years old.

Well to be fair I hire for technical positions but you said it yourself…

Strike 1 - brevity is a good thing

Strike 2 - for what I hope are obvious reasons

Strike 3 - great, you’re a pain in the ass, I’m sure the rest of the team will love that.

Strike 4 - I don’t give a fuck what your passion is, why would you think I do and why would you think this is a good thing to tell me? I just want to know if you can do the god damn job, frankly you’re starting to piss me off.

OK - now I officially hate you. Take your cutesy act somewhere else. What part of business relationship do you not understand? This isn’t fucking Sex in the City, it’s a god damn business.

You sound like you’d be a pain in the ass to work for.

Maybe, but truth be told that woman sounds like she’d be way too high maintenance. When I ran a team, which I no longer do, I met with them maybe once a week for 30 min to an hour. The rest of the time I keep out of the way and expect you to do your job. It’s a business relationship, we’re not going drinking after work and frankly all I care about is that you do your job well.

I did not really care for that cover letter either, but I don’t understand why some refuse to form relationships with their employees. I’m not saying you have to be best friends, but just taking in interest in who they are as a person. It’s both the nice thing to do AND it leads to employees feeling more valued and therefore being more productive. The most important thing for me in a job is that I feel like part of a team. If that need is met, I am loyal to the end. One thing I love about social work is that relationships with other people are just as important as any other aspect.

Depends on the team. If you are hiring for a position where people grind out the results, with high quality and productivity, I agree that this would be a terrible letter. If you are hiring for an artistic job (which seemed to be) it looks a lot better. Some of the best people we hired for research were kind of weird. Most of them worked out very well.

I want to hire people who have a passion. Ideally for the work they will be doing, but at least something. I want someone who is driven, who has ass-power, who will not sleep until they’ve solved a problem. So I do like to hear about passion.

In comments it was noted that the job posting was for a “marketing god/dess”, or something like that, so aside from anything else I’d argue the tone matches the tone of the ad, which is a useful skill to demonstrate for that kind of work.