Your boss quits; how quickly do you throw your hat in the ring to replace him?

When the chief that hired me called me to say he was leaving I asked him right then and there how I should go about trying to get his job. We talked and I had an email expressing interest to his boss within the hour asking for consideration.

Ultimately I didn’t get it (and rightfully so - the guy they hired was more experienced) but now I am his assistant chief and I am learning everything I need to know for the next time, or in a different shop.

What I found interesting as I peered behind the employee / management curtain (in our shop) was the *expectation *that managers had of each other to be aggressive about their wants and desires, almost like the sharks appreciate swimming with other sharks.

Clearly it helps to have a friend or mentor to help define the exact culture you would be dealing with in your place. I had no idea that extroversion while maintaining command fealty was the name of the game where I am, but it’s been a riot to learn.

So relay on the advice of your boss who is leaving, and have fun throwing the dice. It’s a hoot.

And don’t be timid. They generally don’t want timid in a manager.

A promotion isn’t always/automatically a good thing. I’m earning an excellent salary right now, with very little headache or responsibility. Sure, I’ll make a little more money if promoted but the headaches associated with management are difficult to quantify. It’s not my first rodeo, so I know what to expect, and I do want the promotion, but I have reservations about it.

I did not speak to my boss’s boss (Kelly) on Friday. I thought that was too soon. She was off Monday and I spoke to her yesterday. In the mean-time, I talked to my boss about it and let him know I’d be speaking to her. He let her know and put in a good word for me. To make a long story short, Kelly was very supportive and indicated she had come to the same conclusion (that I should assume the role) and that she would bring it before the CIO (her boss) and advocate on my behalf. So, we’ll see what happens.

Every company does it differently, but here is how the companies I’ve been at do it. During performance review there is also a promotion list – both for technical promotions and for management promotions. Good management has a succession plan. It has never been a “go for it” kind of thing - it is more them coming and asking. The last time a boss left I immediately started managing the group on a provisional basis until it became official.

As for me, even if I weren’t retiring in three weeks my bosses job is a lot of contract crap. We also have a flat organization where you either manage no one or manage 20 people. But managing reasonably small groups is fun.

Sounds like you’re in good position, good luck to you. I’m late to the party, but I would echo the sentiment of acting immediately if your boss’ position becomes available and you’re interested in stepping in. Waiting to make your intentions known can only hurt you.