Your favorite five short stories?

And did you love it, or really really love it?

I endorse all of the previously-mentioned Conan Doyle stories, and will set forth another five right now:

“A Scandal in Bohemia” - An errant King foiled by the woman.

“The Blue Carbuncle” - The perfect Christmas mystery tale.

“The Greek Interpreter” - Although Holmes is not, alas, on his best form in this one, it’s worth it to finally meet his brother Mycroft.

“The Speckled Band” - Very spooky and effective.

“The Red-Headed League” - Funny, clever, surprising and delightfully outre.

Funny, a few days ago, when I realized that the Japanese reactor operators were most likely on a suicide mission, I dug through the boxes in my attic and found “The Past Through Tomorrow” just so I could read that story again.

It was well worth it.

Any science fiction fan should look for a copy of “The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Vol 1” which is all short stories, and almost all of them are very, very, good. Mayb be out of print now, though; I think mine is from the 70’s.

Haven’t read that one. The Lafferty with the bear is “Snuffles”, collected in Nine Hundred Grandmothers.

The Devil and Simon Flagg is one of my favorites, too. Its author was Arthur Porges, who wrote many excellent fantasy stories.

My dad had that, and I read most of it. I think that’s where I first read Jack Vance’s “The Moon Moth,” which I mentioned upthread.

I found it in a collection of Hugo Award winners edited by Asimov and Greenburg. I really enjoyed Asimov’s blurb with which he introduced the story, written by a then 67-year old Lafferty (quote probably mangled):

:smiley:

" Lethal Perspective" by Alan Dean Foster.
" On the Uses of Torture" by Piers Anthony.
" The Boogieman" by Stephan King.
" The Washingtonions" by Bentley Little.
" By This Ax I Rule" by Robert E Howard, I prefer the Kull version to the Conan rewrite.

I’m going to ask for it for my birthday.

I’m cracking up at this. I guess next time we do this I can dispense with the dithering.

Some good stories mentioned upthread. There are so many good ones in the science fiction realm:

The Last Question by Isaac Asimov (seriously, it took this long?)

The Report on the Barnhouse Effect by Kurt Vonnegut

The Pusher by John Varley

The Subject is Closed by Larry Niven

Punch by Frederik Pohl