Your favorite homemade soups

Boil a lobster.

Remove the meat, chop it up, and refridgerate. Reserve the shells.

Finely chop 1 carrot and 1 shallot. Saute in some butter in a soup pot.

Add in 2 cups of white wine and the lobster shells. Simmer for 20 minutes.

Strain. Return to a simmer and salt and pepper to taste.

Add in the reserved lobster meat. Remove from heat.

Stir in just enough heavy cream to turn soup opaque.

Enjoy.

Get angioplasy.

This thread is making me hungry…

must purchase some chuck, mushrooms, onion and cheap (but always drinkable) burgundy, make Beef burdungy… yummy…

must have left overs for the next 5 nights… must then be so sick of beef burgundy that I’ll not make it for another year or so…

I threw together some Kentucy Fried Chicken soup a few weeks ago and it was excellent. I had bought an 8 piece bucket of chicken and it was a lot more than my wife an I could eat. A couple days later I took the 5 left over pieces of chicken, broke them up and simmered them in a pot of water, my intention was to make some chicken stock. The stock turned out tasting fantastic so I removed the chicken and removed the meat from the bones. I dumped a bunch of various left over pastas from the pantry. I chopped up a couple red potatoes and some carrots and added that to the broth with the chopped up chicken meat. We had the grandkids over for dinner that night and they loved the soup. Because of the seasonings KFC uses on it’s chicken, I did not add any salt and it did not need any. Just some fresh ground pepper.

I love making soup. I am famous for my soup, in fact. I was the soup nazi before anybody ever even heard of Seinfeld. I have so many favorite, original recipes and people asking for them that I had to build a web page to hold them all, and it contains just a fraction of them. But my favorite and most famous is my 15 vegetable soup (I got the idea when I saw a bag of beans at the store called “15 bean soup”).

Chicken, or turkey, noodle soup.

Take carcass which can be picked clean, but even better if some meat is left on the bones. If you have a cleaver or a heavy knife to whack it into 2 or 3 pieces, so much the better.

Put carcass in pot with a chopped onion, a couple of stalks of sliced celery, whatever spices you want and water to cover. Try to keep the broth fairly concentrated as you will be adding ice cubes at the end.

Bring to boil and simmer. When the meat comes off the bones easily, maybe an hour, pull out the carcass, strip the meat, discard the bones and skin and return the meat to the pot. Adjust the spices.

Slice or dice up some carrots and add to the soup. Estimate when you believe the carrots have about the same time to finish as it takes to cook egg noodles, about ten minutes.

Toss in the noodles. It is easy to overestimate the amount you need as they swell greatly when cooked.

Watch the noodles. Test for donesnss. When they are exactly as firm as you want them, add one or two trays of ice to stop them from cooking further. Stir with a wooden spoon to chill quickly. Now the noodles won’t be mushy like in canned soup.

The ice trick also works when you have to keep vegetables in a soup, especially potatoes, from overcooking.

Do you eat the soup chilled or is it still warm or do you heat it up again after the ice trick?

A trick I use for noodles is to cook the noodles seperately, put them in a colander and cool with cold tap water, divide it over bowls and add the soup on top. Works very well if you have “thin” soups, and you can keep the cooled noodles for a while if the rest of the soup isn’t ready yet.

I have 3 great soup recipes – one is Creamy Potato Soup (or something like that) from The Best Recipe – that is sooooo good. Then there’s:

Italian Sausage Soup

1-1/2 lbs. Mild Italian sausage
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 large onions, chopped
l lg. Can (28-oz.) Italian-style crushed tomatoes
3 or 4 cans beef broth
1-1/2 C. dry red wine
1/2 tsp. Dry basil
3Tb. Chopped parsley (or approp. Dry)
1 med. Green pepper, seeded & chopped
3 med. Zucchini in 1/2-in. slices
3 C. med. Bow-shaped noodles
Grated Parmesan cheese

In 6 qt. Dutch oven or stock pot over med-hi heat, cook sausage until no longer pink (take sausage out of casing, break into pieces in pan). Remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Discard all but 3 Tb. Drippings. Add onion & garlic and cook until soft (about 5 mins.). Stir in tomatoes & liquid, breaking up tomatoes with spoon. Add sausage, broth, wine, and basil. Bring to fully rolling boil, cover and reduce heat. Simmer 20 mins.

Stir in parsley, green pepper, zucchini, and noodles. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until noodles are al dente (about 25 mins.). Skim off & discard fat.

Pass cheese to spoon over soup when serving.
I also do a made-up chicken noodle soup: get a package of chicken thighs with the bones in, put in a stock pot and cover with water. Add some salt, a stalk of celery, and a touch of onion. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a high simmer/low boil. Cook until the chicken is done. Remove the celery, onion, and chicken from the water/stock, and refrigerate the stock overnight. Discard the celery and onion. Pull the chicken meat off the bones. Refrigerate separately. The next day, break most of the fat off the stock and dispose of it. Put the chicken back in the stock with a couple of sprigs of thyme and some salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat until just warm, then bring to a boil. When water is boiling, add about 2/3 cup skinny egg noodles. Boil 10-12 minutes or until noodles are al dente. Serve and enjoy!

No, you heat the soup as need to eating temperature, which is quite a bit below the cooking temperature.

You can cook the noodles separately, I guess, but I have a feeling that cooking them in the broth will add flavor to the noodles, though I have never tested this. I’m not sure whether running cold water through the noodles changes the flavor or not. I guess you find it works ok.

I usually do:
Brocolli and Cheddar
Cheddar and Beer
French Onion
Gazpacho
Tomato

Mooch, I’d love to get your Cheddar and Guiness recipe if you’re willing to share…

I’m at work now, but will post the recipe from home later on if I get a chance. Soooo good on a cold fall day with warm bread.

I love black bean soup but haven’t made any in a while.

I make split pea soup in a crock pot, starting with hamhocks. But I have to be patient, it takes 2 days!

I also make chicken soup from chicken bones, but I don’t use a recipe, just whatever looks good at the time. And that usually includes some green chile. I make a big batch with everything but the noodles, and cook the noodles for each serving. Did I mention that I hate overcooked noodles?

I’d like to try the pumpkin soup, but I’m all out of pumpkin. :mad:

stargazer, your sausage soup sounds delicious. I’m going to try it.

Omniscient, here is my recipe for Potato soup:
Potato Soup

6 med. Potatoes - diced
 3 Carrots - sliced
 3 ribs Celery -  chopped
 1/2 C. Onion - chopped
 6 C. Chicken stock
 1/4 C. fresh Parsley - chopped
 1 C. Heavy Cream
 Salt and pepper - to taste

In crockpot, combine diced potatoes, sliced carrots, chopped celery and onion, chicken stock, and parsley flakes. 

Cook 6 1/2 to 9 hours on LOW or 3 to 4 hours on high. 

30 to 40 minutes before soup is done (20 minutes if cooking on HIGH), add cream, salt and pepper.

This will serve around 8 people...or 3 people all day long.  :D

Seeker74, I tried your bean soup tonight, and it’s great! I used refried black beans just because I like them better, with some chicken and extra garlic. That will certainly be on the list for the weekly family dinner we take turns catering.

I make a pretty good beef-barley soup sometimes. Slice some beef into thin strips (I use eye of round, mostly) and brown in a little oil. Fry some mushrooms if you want, certainly add some sliced onion and let it soften, then some garlic for a minute or so, and deglaze the pan with some dry red wine, or beer if you prefer. Fill with beef broth, throw in sliced carrots and a handful of barley, and simmer until the barley is tender. NOTE: Barley sucks up incredible amounts of liquid (four times its volume) and grows in proportion. It’s easy to use too much and end up with a pot of beef-flavoured barley. It still tastes good, but it isn’t soup any more.

My paternal grandmother makes a killer chicken soup with matzo balls that, despite having her handwritten recipe, I have been unable to even remotely duplicate the perfection of. Plus she uses noodles she gets from the Amish in PA, and they’re a bit difficult to locate in the Pacific NW.

Comfort food.

I was bummed that nobody responded and then realized I posted it in Cafe Society. Thanks for your input and please keep them coming. I will be eating well this winter.

I’ve seen this on the boards before as, if I recall correctly, Mongolian soup. I made something similar a few nights ago, but I used tomato basil soup instead of plain tomato, added cayenne in stead of curry, and added half a cup of uncooked long-grain rice and simmered until the rice was done. Very tasty.

I’ve got a couple of soup recipes on the cooking blog I started last month; the link’s in my profile. Leave some feedback if you try one of the soups (or anything else, for that matter).

HOT AND SOUR SOUP
1/4 lb BBQ pork (or shrimp)
3 tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp sherry
1/2 cup water
1/2 a brick of firm tofu, cubed small
4 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tsp chili oil (or less if a wuss like me)
2 tsp sesame oil
2 green onions, sliced
1 litre chicken stock
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 beaten egg
a few sliced mushrooms
1 julienned carrot

Prep the veggies and tofu. Combine vinegar, chili oil,sesame oil in wee bowl and set aside. In another bowl,stir cornstarch and water together. Add stock,sherry and soy sauce to pot and bring to simmer.Add mushrooms,tofu,carrots and pork/shrimp-simmer 10 minutes. Add cornstarch mixture to broth, lower heat and stir to thicken. Add vinegar/oil mix and stir.Slowly stir in beaten egg, then top with green onion. Make sure the egg cooks-about 1 minute. Eat like a god.
Peasant Veggie Sausage Soup

Cook for 2 or 12, based on size of cans

1 can tomato juice
1 equal size can beef broth

and in desired proportions:

sliced cabbage, onions, carrots, celery (yes dammit, I said cabbage)

chopped Ukranian sausage, browned in pan

couple pinches of sugar to cut the tomato bitterness

garlic

couple of shakes of liquid smoke

-simmer everything until veggies are al dente. I hate mushy veg in soup.

Ok, not a soup, but close enough, and it was so damn good I have to tell about it.

I was at a powwow today and someone on the comittee made a fricking AWESOME venison stew. You got a big ol’ bowl of it and a hunk of bannock for 5 bucks. The stew had the obligatory venison chunks, potatoes, carrotts, peas, salt and pepper. I don’t think there was much in the way of spices, most of the flavor came from the main ingredients. I wish I knew the recipe so I could share it. I could eat it every day for the rest of my life.

I hope you enjoy (or enjoyed) it! It’s even better the next day, except that the zucchini is a little soggy. I always intend to keep a little zucc out for leftovers, but haven’t remembered yet. It’s still pretty darn good, though, especially in winter. :slight_smile: