Your favorite obsolete computer program/utility.

Speaking of “borrowing” disks

NoKey- It tricked programs into thinking the copy protection scheme was present when using a copied disk.

How about this?

Nothing fancy for me- I miss “Gorilla” (DOS)

My Apple IIc was only 5 years old when I went to college but I took it along and used Bank Street Writer for all of my papers and projects, and it was so familiar to so many people that a lot of my dormmates would ask to use it too. I long for something that simple and straightforward now.

Absolutely. Still there, still used frequently.

I used to write DOS applications using a compiler called ASIC (“It’s almost BASIC!”).

It was, as the name and tagline suggests, like a dialect of BASIC, except that the structure was really more like assembler - for example:
– To add three things together, you had to add B to A one one line, then add C to A on the next.
– An IF condition could only execute one instruction on true, so implementing code blocks, AND conjunctions and ELSE conditions had to be done using jumps to other subroutines.

It wasn’t designed to be elegant - it was just limited in a way that (for me, at least) aggressively promoted thoughtful code design.

I’ve still got a copy - and it runs OK in an XP command prompt.

What, no votes for After Dark? I miss my flying toasters…and the Mowing Man…and Boris the kitten…and the Mowing Man running over Boris…

ACDSee 2.4. A super fast image viewer that had just enough features and no more.

VBScript is the Visual Basic equivalent of Javascript nowadays. I think IE understands it so you can do DOM on a webpage with it. It’s also used for system maintenance scripts. Some Antivirus programs will bitch when you try to run them though.

I’ve been using a shareware touch typing program since the early 90s called “Touch Type Tutor”. It was a Windows 3.1 app and I was able to run it through Windows 95, 98, 2000 and XP. I couldn’t run it with Vista or 7 though. I’ll have to install a VMWare image to get it to run again. It still has my recorded WPM scores from 1993!

Yes, I did try all the compatibility modes in Vista and Windows 7, but still didn’t work.

ResEdit. That shit was awesome.

Another vote for DRDOS. It was always a step or two ahead of MSDOS.

And I liked WordStar. It was a good product until they started suffering from king-of-the-hill syndrome.

My two favorite DOS programs, though, were little joke utilities. One would put up a fake DOS prompt and then as soon as a key was pressed, you got a horrible looking error message that told you the video card was installed backwards. It then turned the screen image upside down until you pressed Alt-Z.

The other was Drip. It would lurk until it started seeing periods of inactivity. Every 15-20 seconds, it would cause a random character on the screen to slowly slide down to the bottom, like a raindrop on a window. Eventually, all the letters would be lying in a jumbled pile on the bottom of the screen. When you pressed a key, the screen would restore itself.

Good times, good times. :smiley:

Hah! That was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the thread title, even before I read the OP. I loved using XTree.

My first thought was Norton Commander, an Xtree-like file manager from back when Norton made good programs. Heck, I wish Windows Explorer did things that Norton Commander could. (Is there a file manager for XP with bulk rename?)

Then I agreed with this:

Except I’m not sure it’s obsolete if I keep copying it to every new machine and using it for anything I need to do that’s too complex for a spreadsheet or search-and-replace in WordPerfect. It still runs in XP in a DOS Window. :slight_smile:

AOL Press. It’s hopelessly outdated now, but for it’s time it was one of the best WYSIWYG HTML editors out there.

Von Buerg’s LIST program. Like many of my old favorites, it won’t even run under Windows 7. Ah, well, I guess it’s time to move on to that GUI stuff…

In college I had to program in FORTRAN77. Sometimes I still think in that language.

Used to run ZYCOR on the VAX and submit SAS (Statistical Analysis) programs to the mainframe. I see SAS is still around, although I’m sure in a vastly different architecture.

Oh hell yeah. I loved my TOS one. Especially when the spores would shoot at Spock and he’d smile at you while that cheesy music from that episode played. (Low res version here)

Lightspeed C - owe my current career to it.