Your Favourite Bowie Songs

Def. from Cat PeoplePutting Out Fire

I wouldn’t call it my absolute favorite, but *Ashes to Ashes *has been stuck in my head since I read the news Monday morning.

Too many great songs to pick a single fave, unless it’s just for one day.

Another vote for Young Americans.

Something about that song reaches inside me and pulls a string that no other song does.

Awwwwwwwlllllll Night!

Ain’t there one damn song
that can make me
break down and cry-yy?

Rebel, Rebel will always be #1 with me. It was the soundtrack for the moment in my life In which I was most thunderstruck with love at first sight.
30ish-some years later I can’t hear that song without a flashback to that pretty girl in the short black dress. It was really a magic moment.
Sadly, never met her or learned her name.

I admit to being a little surprised at all the attention mainstream media has given to Bowie’s death.

Reading this thread, though, sets my mind right. He deserves the attention, and more.

What a wonderfully talented man he was.
mmm

Life on mars
Under pressure
Golden years

My all time favorite David Bowie song is Breaking Glass from Low (which is also my favorite Bowie album).

Oh, I suppose my favorite album of his, even after all this time, is The Man Who Sold the World, and my favorite song from that album is Width of a Circle. Almost everything everyone has mentioned upthread though are songs I know and love and more importantly, associate with specific periods of my life. The guy provided the soundtrack to my life from high school through middle adulthood. Pretty amazing artist.

The first Bowie I heard and actually paid attention to was the Ziggy Stardust album when I went to pick up a bag and the dude was waiting on a key. He put it on, we sparked up and by the time Moonage Daydream was over I was a fan. Went to the music store on the way home and bought the 8 track. And for me there are certain artists that when asked to pick a favorite piece it’s like asking to pick a favorite child. But if I absolutely had to I guess it would be…
Ok I changed this about a dozen times so I’ll have to say the whole Ziggy Stardust album plus…
Fame
Putting Out Fires
Changes
Young Americans
TVC15

Like Tin Machine, *The Buddha of Suburbia * album never seemed to get much attention, but the eponymous title track is lovely, and presaged much of the tone of Heathen and Reality. And off Scary Monsters, there’s Teenage Wildlife, with Robert Fripp’s molten silver guitar playing. Just exquisite.

And the soundtrack version of Cat People {Putting Out Fire} is much better than the shrill, tinny and rushed version off Let’s Dance, with a far better vocal.

Oh You Pretty Things…pop, but dark and eclectic…

Yeah it’s OK but Peter Noone’s version was better.

Just messing with you!

Let’s Dance
Putting Out Fire
Fame

But my favorite of all has to be Heroes. I love that song thru tears, every time. :frowning:

Definitely “Heroes” here, as well. When I learned of his death, that’s the song I put on (and introduced my 19 month old daughter to. We have our daddy-daughter music listening parties, but we haven’t gotten to Bowie yet, so this was her introduction.)

My favorite song about David Bowie is Bongwater’s David Bowie Wants Ideas.

Most popular Bowie songs the day after his death.

Pretty interesting. Heroes, Let’s Dance, and Life on Mars were the top 3.

Okay, can I be an idiot? I have never liked Let’s Dance. That’s not quite right - I like the song - it’s cool. But it’s called Let’s Dance and yet the groove isn’t really danceable. And it’s a Nile Rodgers groove - if anyone knows how to lay down a dance groove, it’s Nile fuckin’ Rodgers. But it’s more herky-jerky than funky and dancey.

Drives me nuts!! :wink: But, then, Bowie was always about being just outside the comfort zone.

And salinqmind - yeah Heroes has that effect on me, too. Layers and layers.

I love the Bowie/NIN version of this.

I’d not heard the SY version (until your link). This one is very similar.