You're doing TLA (Three Letter Acronyms) Wrong!

Still standard. My wife writes technical manuscripts and grant proposals regularly, and part of the proofreading process (which I help with) is looking for the first usage of an acronym to ensure that it’s properly defined there and then going through the rest of the documentation to ensure that only the acronym ever gets used after that.

There’s no need for a conversion. Celsius is a system that works all on its own.
When I hear a temperature in C, I don’t need to first convert it to F in order to understand it. This just comes from familiarity through use and exposure.

Well, yes, but we were talking about how to convert from using one system that you’re familiar with due to exposure, to another system. Just dropping F entirely would make it so people have to convert, but it would also have sent the US into another civil war (Cite: See “Dollar coins” discussions).

Also, they only need to explain the acronym once, the first time of use. If every place in the article says ‘TSE, Total Solar Eclipse’, the abbreviation is pointless.

Also, brackets:
TSE (Total Solar Eclipse) - OK
Total Solar Eclipse (TSE) - OK
TSE, Total Solar Eclipse - bad

In IBM-land we refer to TLAs and ETLAs. The latter are Extended TLAs, i.e., four-letter initialisms and acronyms (yes, I went there).

TSHS.

That Ship Has Sailed.

We’ll never put the I back in TLI where it belongs. Which is a shame. I love technical correctness (the reeechest kind) as much or more than most propeller heads.

I know but I grieve. A friend insists on making any initialism into an acronym anyway: he’d pronounce your “TSHS” as “tiss-hiss” or “tish-iss” or something. Maybe that’s The True Path.

We can cry in our beer together.

My two professional fields, aviation and IT, are filled w TLIs mislabeled as TLAs.

When I got on the F-16 I encountered something I’d almost never seen before. People pronouncing the TLIs and ETLIs. I don’t know if that was common to all General Dynamics products, but I’d never encountered it in my then - five years of USAF nor 10 years of civil aviation.

To name just a couple, the SMS was the “smizz” and the FCNP was the “Fick-nip”. It was universally taught that way as the officially sanctioned terminology, but it drove me batty. So wrong.

In IT “sequel”, “asky”, and “ibseDick” are some of the few TLIs routinely pronounced. Which are the collective exception that proves the rule: “Don’t pronounce TLIs”.

Just don’t.

Well, my experience is that the way to convert to using a new temp system is to go someplace where it’s used, and get used to people saying, “it’s 4 degrees in the walk-in fridge” or “it’s 16 today”.

I always pronounced that “ebsidic.”

Lately I’ve been seeing these TV ads in which Henry Winkler tells us all about the symptoms of AMD, which can progress into a more severe form called GA. And I’m always wondering what the heck American Micro Devices and General Aviation have to do with my eyes.

Apparently AMD = “age-related macular degeneration” (So shouldn’t it be ARMD?) and I don’t actually remember what GA is supposed to mean. But I assume they’re both marketing terms made up by some pharmaceutical company.

“What’s wrong with being armed? Man, Fonzie’s gone woke!”

That would be ‘geographic atrophy*’.

…Advanced AMD is classified as neovascular (wet) AMD and non-neovascular (dry) AMD. Dry AMD can progress to a more advanced form that manifests as geographic atrophy (GA), which significantly threatens vision, leading to progressive and irreversible loss of visual function…. [from aao.org]

GA is also General Atomics. If you think of Winkler’s spiel like that it’s even funnier.

Okay
:+1:t3:

I remembered this thread when posting, and @Ulf_the_Unwashed’s post inspired me to buck with tradition and put the TLA (Three Letter Acronym) first.

I find his argument persuasive. It does seem easier to me to remember the abbreviation if I see first when reading. I wonder if I’ll get comments on it in the thread (which I won’t mention here).