You're losing the game...why the celebratory dance ?

I was actually somewhat surprised about that call. Plus I can’t find a video of the supposed taunting, and ESPN didn’t show it during the game last night. But seriously, from across the field? That, plus a missed horsecollar and missed facemask, confirmed to me that the officiating was about as biased as it could get. They practically tried to hand it to Auburn giftwrapped.

Well, one reason they celebrate after a fairly mundane play is that there’s plenty of time in which to do so. Football has lots of free time to fill, or sell.

ESPN did show it, although not very clearly. They showed it after the commercial after the kick, before the kickoff. He was right about at the middle of the field, facing the Auburn players. He pointed at the bench and then did some other hand motions that I could not see. The side judge was looking right at him and threw the flag immediately. Didn’t look like a BS call to me, and the announcers said it was a good call.

Half of me agrees. The other half makes me wonder why baseball players don’t celebrate more. I guess they’re too busy covertly filling pie tins with shaving cream.

Pitched baseball meet ear.

Fielder tagging runner meet spikes.

Etc.

ETA: another factor is that the ball is not dead after a completed play unless time is called or an umpire calls it dead.
If you just stole a base, you don’t go dancing around as the fielder can tag you as soon as you’re off the base.

Because someone might throw a baseball at them. The Unwritten Rules of Baseball are almost as much fun as the Make This Look Safe! Rules of Football.

Exactly. I’m all for celebrating a good play that accomplishes something meaningful in the context of the game. Back when I was still watching the game, I really hated seeing a celebration of a stop on second down, followed by the other team getting a first down on the following play. Celebrate a success on third down all you want, unless you already know they’re going for it on fourth if you stop them on third, because in that case your job isn’t done yet. Just be a professional and get ready for the next play.

This applies whether you’re ahead or behind, unless of course you’re so far behind that getting back in the game is out of the question. In that case, no need to mope; just be a professional. Act like that great stop was no big deal, because, well, it wasn’t a big deal. Stuff that happens in garbage time isn’t a big deal, period.

It’s an era of self-promotion that feels crass to old codgers (like me) that grew up when this was bad form. Some people still find understated humility more badass than chest-thumping, but the world has moved on.

For fun? This is one thing I like about hockey – goal celebrations are practically encouraged. The wackier the better.

I guess you focused too much on your personal performance and not enough on being a leader.

Wow so what era are you talking about? Pre-early 80s? Cuz damn the Fun Bunch and everyone else let loose back then. What was it like in the late 70s?

Amen to that… it’s like 15 minutes of actual playing per 3+ hour game.

So, as a non-viewer, traditionally which are more pratically encouraged: celebrations of goals or fights?

Goals. Top 10 NHL Goal Celebrations. Teemu Selanne’s and Tiger Williams’s are my favorites. Not every player celebrates, mind you – most just fist pump, hug teammates, but fans love a good victory celebration.

I’ve seen fight celebrations, but they’re generally looked on as in bad taste.

Seriously, the purpose of sports is to win and to entertain. I don’t see why fist pumping, a goofy dance is “bad taste”. The No Fun League strikes again.

Count me among the people who think there’s too much celebrating for bullshit on the field. If you’re paid to go out there and tackle someone, go out and do it. You don’t need to celebrate every single time you do your job.

Pump your fist, give a little “fuck yeah!” after a nice play. But repeatedly dancing after you do what you’re paid a shitload of money to do, looks a little sad.

Steve Largent. Mellow & lethal. I think I saw him spike a TD catch once but he looked a little embarassed about it afterward. Of course, he played for Seattle in the '70/'80s–not a whole lot of reasons to do a happy dance.

Except if you look at them, most were game winning goals and thus the celebration is post-game, correct? I definitely come from the school of no celebration. I had a really old school coach who literally stated before every game, “When you score a touchdown, you want them to think that you do it on every play. Hand the ball to the ref and hustle back to the huddle. If you make a sack, make them think you live in their backfield. Help the quarterback up and let him see the smile on your face. We celebrate AFTER the game.” A lot of that was also simply to set up for an extra point or first down on a turnover immediately. We scored a lot of points as the defense would only have 8 or 9 guys on the field or would take a time out or get an off-side penalty.

I personally find that immediate the return to work is far more demoralizing to an opponent; whereas, doing the dance just gives the opponent ammunition to get angry and riled themselves.

To each his own. This old codger is all for players celebrating, but it really looks stupid if it’s for a play that doesn’t mean shit. Celebrate a score, even celebrate a first down, or a play that ensures that the other team won’t get a score or a first down.

But celebrating that tackle that stuck the other team with a loss of five yards on second and four? Gimme a break. You haven’t done anything yet until you follow up with a stop short of the first down on third and 9. Then celebrate.

Well if you’re losing that’s one thing. But well I guess different sports, different cultures.

Not all of them were game-winning goals, necessarily. Some of them were record-setting, or personal milestones. For example, when Teemu Selanne shot his glove in the air, he was celebrating breaking Mike Bossy’s rookie goal scoring record. (Besides, few players are more respected than Selanne). Or Jaromir Jagr does a military salute after every goal he scores – it’s his trademark.

So maybe it’s just a difference between the two sports? How is it looked on in basketball, or baseball?

In basketball…

I was at one of the championship games between the Rockets and Celtics, 1986 was it?.

Robert Reid scored a pretty layup after a lot of hard teamwork ball play. He and Wiggins high fived, and there was some finger pointing congrats by the others.

Meanwhile, Celtics inbounded a long pass down court to Bird who layed it in easy.

Basketball celebrations cost points.