You're offered a year's salary to just walk out...

I like what I do and I don’t need the money I make doing it; its basically a time-killer for me. But even so I would be tempted and would have to consider it if it was offered. Warehouse work, part time, isn’t that hard to find and now having experience I could see UPS or FedEx taking me on.

Dates worked: mm/dd/yyyy to 6/27/2018

I voted “yes” - Pappa needs a lasercutter.

I’m in retail. I’d be tempted, really, really tempted. And I don’t think that quitting like that would adversely affect my co-workers that much.

But in practice, I’m not sure I could bring myself to do it.

I voted it depends. I’m retired now, so it doesn’t apply right now, but there were some jobs where I’d take it in a second, and some jobs where I would say no.

AT&T paid me almost a year’s salary to walk. Not that afternoon, but given the disruption and that there were only 2 weeks between my agreeing to leave and leaving, with me taking about 5 off for personal days I’d lose otherwise, pretty much the same as leaving that afternoon.
Worked out great.

Quit, take the money, reapply in a week ������

Like several other answers: if this scenario had arisen during a short window at the end of my non-self-employed working life where I was fed up, already planning to leave and not planning to ever look for another job working for somebody else, then maybe. I wouldn’t really follow through on just not telling the company anything: I’d take the money first, politely submit my resignation and tell the donor TS if he didn’t like the last part.

But if it didn’t happen to come along right then, then no. I was often satisfied with my job, I’d often have felt badly about suddenly leaving colleagues in the lurch and always, as long as I needed to be employed by somebody else eventually, I’d be putting myself in a weaker position to look for a job without already having a job.

I wouldn’t trust most of the guys I work with to pony up the cash. Plus, if I stay, that’s that much more job security for me because some of these guys have one foot in the grave and one out the door, and a year’s salary would be enough to make them jump.

Not a chance. I want at least 3 more years to get my retirement up to where I’d like it.

Ask me again in 2 years and I’ll probably give you a different answer.

I was going to say yes except for the “don’t come back from lunch” bit. That would be very unprofessional. A year’s salary is not enough to retire on and I would need a reference for my next job.

Leave enough time to give two weeks’ notice? I might do that. I like my job but I would also like a paid year off. (Although it wouldn’t come with health insurance.)

The answers to this question makes me think that the people on this board live in a different reality than I do. I asked seven people in my social circle, and got four yeses, two hell yeses, and one fucking hell-yeah. As you can probably guess, none of them have careers, they just have jobs, and switching jobs is just the way you get a raise in the service industry.

So assuming it was anyone other than the office dick, I’m quitting. Then I’m taking my new best friend the mutli-millionaire out for a night on the town. That way he’ll learn for himself that someone in his new position really should have a 6’7" street-savvy bodyguard such as myself to protect both him and his new wealth. Best case scenario, I have a rich new boss who doesn’t really understand how money works. Worst case, I have a year to find a new job.

OTOH, if it was the office dick, then I’m doing nothing. I could totally see him pulling a stunt like this just to point and laugh at anyone who actually quit their job, the sadistic little twit.

My position in life and my attitude as well - I’ve got too much professional pride and too much respect for those I work with and for to take such an offer…Like you, I’m 10 years away from retirement, plus my company has an excellent pension plan that gets better every year one works there…even I didn’t like what I do and who I work with and for (I love what I do, like the people and the owners), I’d have to be a fool to throw away a great retirement package…

He’s left himself vulnerable with his phrasing. I take the money and don’t return after lunch, but return tomorrow and use personal time to cover the absence from today. A year’s salary for taking a half-day off? Not bad! :slight_smile:

More seriously, nope. Not that I’m all that attached to my current job (our 300% turnover rate indicates few people are), but it fits my short-term (the next 5 years) financial plans and eventual retirement goals. To take that deal, I’d have to have a job with better salary lined up somewhere.

I’d be gone in a minute. I’d probably have another job within a week, so would enjoy effectively drawing an additional salary for a year. Oh, I’d call them to let them know. I’m not horrible. I honestly think that any of them would do the same thing. Tomorrow, I believe I’ll ask. Of course, they’ll be looking for my checkbook. sigh

right now? hell yes, I’d take it. that kind of cushion would give me plenty of time to find a new job.

No, but I would ask for an immediate raise.

Yeah, I understand that in the US “HR employees who will only verify what dates an employee worked” are a thing.

So, soooooo not the case in my country and industry. The minute someone rings up or emails my old employer (whether before or after an interview) I am expecting they’ll get the whole juicy story. And this is a pretty good juicy story! Especially if it grows at all in the telling. (“Eighteen people left in an afternoon! We were two days from a go-live date! It nearly killed the company!”) In fact, it has a possibility of being SUCH a juicy story it might even precede me (“I see you used to work for ACME Software. Wasn’t that the place that went belly-up because eighteen people left in one afternoon two days from a go-live? Tell us about that!”)

You’re also Canadian, so you don’t have the fear of getting hit with tens of thousands in medical bills a month after you walk out.

Let’s say for the purposes of this hypothetical, ‘walking out’ means anything you like (which could be disappearing without comment, or informing your line management that you’re going) - but definitely involves not coming back to work tomorrow, or ever, unless for some reason you reapply for a job here much later and are re-employed (so if you have a notice period, you’re violating it)

People quit service jobs all the time.

It’s a bit different in corporate “career” jobs. Particularly the higher up the ladder you go. If you are 5-10 years in at a company, you might be on track to a much more senior position. You certainly have a network of clients and relationships that you leverage for your success. You’d be giving that up if you just up and quit.

Although, point of fact, at some of the tech and consulting firms I’ve worked at, people do change jobs every few years. I have even seen people get fed up and just up and walk out without giving notice and they’ve managed to find equivalent jobs.