You're on the run from the authorities. Who (if anyone) do you go to for help?

I did disappear for three months once and kept on the move through many states. I didn’t commit any real crimes, it was just because of a bad life situation but the police were still looking for me and never did find me. I have the technique down pretty well and know how to execute it at any time including faking my own death and covering further tracks.

I would be fine assuming a new identity on my own but I would need some cash upfront. My father has enough to last me well more than a lifetime but the problem would be getting access to it without raising that much suspicion. He would probably love to help me because the law has always been just a loose set of general guidelines in his view and his current hobby is bitching about the feds and pissing off the IRS just because he can. With a little advance notice, we could come up with a pretty solid plan. My mother would also help me under any circumstances but she has a blabbing problem even though she tries not to really hard so I would have to be really careful what I tell her.

My sweetie could have me stashed away in another country within days if we were desperate enough. It wouldn’t be a happy life but I guess I’d survive whatever fate awaited here.

It would have to be worse than just prison though. Not that the idea of prison doesn’t terrify me!

I have no ambitions to be world ruler; too much actual work. I’m only an evil consultant these days. That said, I’ll probably give you a continua-buggy-lift over to Marvel-Earth just for old time’s sake.

My good friend from work and her boyfriend…both of whom are lawyers.

If I could get from SF to good ol 'Sconsin, I’d talk to Doug. He’d do anything to help me evade the authorities, unless I told him that, yeah, I fucked a 3-year-old. Then, all bets are off. But in most cases, he’d help me out…

Joe

I could count on a couple of friends who are no strangers to crime to get me out of town. Then, I would likely consult a defense attorney friend to see what my odds were of beating the rap. Depending on the way that conversation went, either stay underground, leave the country or have my day in court.

My family.

I wouldn’t want to suck my mom into any drama, and I honestly don’t think my sister would ever really go out of her way, so that limits things to my best friend, who’s also my wife.

I’d turn myself in and just get it over with. They can find anyone they want today except Bin Laden :dubious: I watched a couple I episodes of “I Almost Got Away With It” and some of these felons are amazing escape artists. You have to use pay phones and send money grams but even after a while they can catch you that way. Throw away your cell phone and computer to start and close out all bank accounts before you commit the crime. Get a fake Id and leave the country.

What if he is the one you are on the run from,
those flying monkies are nasty.

I have a couple of buddies I know I could count on. One loves camping in the remote wilderness where no one else goes and is extremely familiar with the national park system in the U.S. The other knows a whole lot more about moving “merchandise” than I care to and he could provide me with whatever supplies I may need for an extended trip to invisibility land.

My new username would become “Hairless Yeti”

We’ll be watching for that.

I dunno. I’m just not a “run from the authorities” kind of guy. If I was convinced my life would be in danger by turning myself in (far more a Hollywood cliche than an IRL risk), I’d go straight to the home or office of my ol’ pal and former colleague Fernando, who’s a great criminal defense lawyer. Then I’d try not to second-guess him too much as he arranged my surrender to the police and prepared my case for trial.

You hear about that in movies a lot, but is it really still possible? I mean, if you give the lady at the motor vehicle department a SS# that’s fake, or belongs to a dead person, won’t the computer just flag it immediately?

I wouldn’t go to my family because they’re goody-two-shoes and would almost inevitably monitored in such an event. I might use that fact to help throw the fuzz off my trail, along with buying guidebooks to places I have no intention of going.

I do have some old friends that are anti-establishment types, but mostly it would be an extended camping trip.