Can hydrogen peroxide break down into drinkable water?

If I understand this correctly, hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) is sold and stored in opaque (usually brown) bottles in order to prevent the peroxide from being exposed to light which breaks down the H2O2 into water (2H2O) and oxygen (O2).

Hydrogen Peroxide ( above ~3% volume solution) is extremely harmful if swallowed.

My question: Can the household hydrogen peroxide be stored in a transparent container and then be safely consumed in the form of water after some time period?

The time period would of course vary depending on temperature and initial pH, but let’s assume the time period is ample for all H2O2 to break down.

Yes. No idea what the timeframe is, but if you toss in some catalyst (Manganese, IIRC) it happens pretty quickly. This is the principle used to allow you to sterilise contact lenses in H202 solution without nuking your corneas - a little catalyst ‘brick’ in the bottom of the soaking container that ensures by morning all the peroxide is gone. Having once cut short the recommended soaking time, I can confirm that having trace amounts of peroxide in the eye is not nice :eek:

I meant industrial strength (like 35% H2O2) rather than household hydrogen peroxide.

I can imagine. Even the 3% solution causes a moderate burning and tingling sensation on an open would. Having never worn contacts myself, I wasn’t aware of the role of peroxide in lens sterilization.

I’m not sure how dilute the H2O2 must be before consumption is completely safe so I specified “time period is ample for all H2O2 to break down.”

“nuking”??

Pretty much. Actually it’s the inside of the eyelids that reports the irritation, which is probably just as well as even small amounts of atomic oxygen would likely do horrid things to the cornea if it was left there for any length of time. Trust me, this is one mistake that you don’t make twice. (Another is thinking that it’s enough to wash your hands a mere three or four times after preparing chilli peppers before handling your contacts. It isn’t. Trying to get the offending contact out of an eye that has reflexively clamped shut in agony is a never-to-be-missed experience.)

[QUOTE=Malacandra]
Pretty much.

[QUOTE]
Pretty much what? I’m asking what nuclear anything has to do with hydrogen peroxide?

Probably nothing. It’s just a figure of speech.

Per-zakly. Ever heard of “nuking” something in a microwave? That’s a sloppy usage too.

To answer the OP, of course industrial hydrogen peroxide will eventually break down into drinkable water and oxygen. Exactly how long it takes would depend on exactly how it’s stored, the concentration, etc, etc.

Just for the record, I would strongly advise no one attempt this feat. With all chemicals, household or industrial, that are not meant for human consumption, it is possible that there are additives which do NOT break down and are NOT safe to consume. I’m given to understand that this is commonly the case with lab grade ethanol, for example.

Pure H2O2 would degrade, I believe under ultraviolet light, though chemistry has been several years back, into H20 and Oxygen. The problem with drinking it arises because the peroxide is a strong oxidizing agent, and causes trouble by reacting with, and creating, those free radicals you hear about in the news. The enzyme which attempts to safely catalyze this reaction in the body is Catalase. It’s very efficient; it speeds up the rate of the reaction so much that the speed is limited by the rate of diffusion of H2O2 molecules in water. That’s quick.

Well, I doubt that Walgreens puts much of anything in their peroxide, but, yes, light does break it down and that’s exactly why they sell it in those opaque brown bottles. If they didn’t, you’d have little oxygen pressure bombs on all the shelves as the H2O2 they were trying to sell to the customers was busy turning into water and oxygen under the light of day, creating havoc in aisle 9. Mass hysteria, dogs and cats playing together - it’d be crazy, I tell ya.

Excuse me, I have to go Xerox something. Literally.

You, sir, either are far too clever by half or have waaaaaaaaaay too much time on your hands!

Nice sig, tho.

To the OP: Yes.

That’s what you get for asking a yes/no question… :wink:

I, too, was massively amused and impressed. By the way, backward that’s Able was I ere I saw Elba.

…a sig is a sig is a sig is a sig is a sig is a sig is a sig is a…

:wink:

Doesn’t shaking a bottle of hydrogen peroxide in solution speed up the process of breaking it down into water?

I think that’s why bottles of hydrogen peroxide state “DO NOT SHAKE” – that and it causes a dangerous pressure build-up, right?

Yes, hydrogen peroxide is an unstable compound. Lots of things will exacerbate its breakdown, including rockin and rollin. The most stable configuration of those materials is the familiar H2O, which it will revert to at the least provocation, e.g. light, physical disturbance, or the presence of a catalyst, several of which have been mentioned above. Just pour some on a cut and watch it foam. Or mix it with some bleach. That extry oxygen atom is just hangin’ on for dear life and won’t stay for long.

Yes, but here we are trying to “fight ignorance”, so such ‘sloppy’ usage probably should be avoided. Especially here in GQ.

:dubious:

Did this usage really make any one think that their eye would be exposed to nuclear radiation or a nuclear explosion? It’s a fairly common colloquialism. You might as well yell at someone for abusing shrubberies if they don’t quickly and directly answer a question.

:rolleyes: