Which has more caffeine and why?

A coworker and I were discussing the caffenated (sp?) merits of both tea and coffee. He claims that tea has twice as much caffeine as coffee does. I say exactly the opposite. I tried to narrow it down more, for example: "I said that even if tea in the bag has twice as much caffeine than equivalent amount of coffee it would not make a difference because the percolating (i.e. distilling) of coffee concentrates the basis of the coffee which would include the caffeine thus making it a more potent, caffeinatically (like that word, I made it up myself) speaking. :slight_smile: On the other hand, he claims that the simple fact (I am not sure if his “fact” is true, but I assumed it was for arguments purpose) that tea has twice as much caffeine then the liquid, consumable form would still have twice as much caffeine. I pointed out that the distilling process doesn’t make tea jet black like coffee and that they are essentially the same color beforehand, but it seems to not have made a difference. If anyone could find some sites supporting either hypothesis, I would appreciate it. Also, any running commentary would be appreciated.

HUGS!
Sqrl

Gasoline: As an accompaniement to cereal it made a refreshing change. Glen Baxter

Here’s something:
http://www.cs.unb.ca/~alopez-o/Coffee/caffaq.html

According to the Straight Dope Science Advisory Board:

The full article is in the archive at http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mcaffeine.html

“Drink your coffee! Remember, there are people sleeping in China.”

Dennis Matheson — dennis@mountaindiver.com
Hike, Dive, Ski, Climb — www.mountaindiver.com

Thanks guys.

HUGS!
Sqrl

Gasoline: As an accompaniement to cereal it made a refreshing change. Glen Baxter

Celestial Seasoning’s tea has a little gauge on the side of the box that indicates just where the particular type of tea you’re holding fits. My “Emerald Gardens Green Tea” tells me the following:

CAFFEINE METER
Double Espresso : 160 mg per 8 oz cup
Drip Coffee : 90 mg
EMERALD GARDENS : 50 mg
Cola : 45 mg
Chocolate bar : 25 mg
Decaf coffee : 5 mg

Sorry I can’t reproduce the little graphy thing…

Mountain Dew has more than all of them.

JOLT JOLT JOLT
Ever heard of Water Joe? It’s plain water with caffeine added. We make instant espressos from it. ZZZZIIIINNNNNGGG!

“That was a hell of a thing.”