weird bump on my thumb

I have a bump on my thumb, near the 2nd joint. It seems to be slightly mobile, but it feels as hard as bone. It does not hurt unless I press down on it quite hard. But that would be true of any part of my body so it probably means nothing.

What do you think it might be? I know I “should” be asking a doctor about this in person, and I will in October when I have insurance again. But meanwhile, does anyone here have an idea of what it could be?

Oh yes. Oddly enough, my wife developed a very similar bump - on the underside of one of her toes. (Actually, hers was probably first.) Hers is not associated with a joint. It started out a little squishy but has become quite hard since then. She has had hers for several months. I do not know how long I have had mine. I noticed it about a month and a half ago.

-Kris

I tried to edit that post but it would not allow me to for some reason.

By “slightly mobile” I meant if I push down on one side of the bump, it seems to scoot a little over to the other side. Meaning it doesn’t seem to be anchored down.

-Kris

Ordinary Members are not allowed to edit their own posts.

Does it have cyst-like characteristics, or is it very hard? About how large in diameter and how high would you say that it is?

Possibly a calcium deposit? There may be stuff on this in search engines.

You have six months to live. Make the most of the time you have.

I think it’s called a “ganglion cyst”.

But it’s okay! I have one too, right by my wrist bone. It looks like I have two wrist bones! It is soft and when I press on it, it feels like something liquid is moving - it depresses, I can feel what’s in it scoot over a little bit. But here’s the thing - - I have rheumatoid arthritis! - - that’s what’s causing mine. My doctor said it is inflamed tissue. I’ve had this for at least five months now. I’ve read some things that call it a “ganglion cyst”. These pages sound like what we have:
http://www.indianahandcenter.com/med_gang.html
http://www.weissortho.com/common_injuries/wrist_hand/ganglion_cyst.html

I found tons of Google references, the hard part was figuring out what the medical term for this little bump is! Do you think these descriptions fit what you have? If they do, it sounds like it’s not serious and mostly the “treatment” is to wait and see what happens. There are lots of causes - I can attribute mine to arthritis, but don’t worry, there are much less serious causes too.

Could be a wart. Try some wart remover. I doubt that it’s a ganglion cyst. I don’t think there are any ganglia (ganglions???) in the thumb. Those happen more in “busy” places like the inside of the wrist.
Or, better yet, see a doctor!

Botfly larva are often mistaken for cysts. Have you been in the tropics lately?

If you don’t know what a botfly larva can do, think of that scene in Alien where the baby pops out of the guys stomach. Only on a smaller scale.