Wiping our butts

This is a disgusting question but someone has to ask it. If we take a poop and don’t wipe our behinds, we leave a disgusting mess there. How do animals get away with not wiping their butts after taking a poop? (You can tell I don’t have pets.)

I’m thinking that pooping in the sitting position squeezes our butt cheeks together and the offending material creates a mess on the way out.

Our cavemen ancestors didn’t use Charmin for sure, so is there a way that we can squat with our butt cheeks apart so that pooping won’t soil our behinds? Is it the fact that we are now pooping on seats the cause of the need for TP? Are toilet sets the wicked invention of toilet paper manufacturers that keep them in business?

So if we stand and poop, the offal exits cleanly and we will no more need TP?

Help me! I’m environmentally friendly and if we didn’t use toilet paper, we’d be saving hundreds thousands of trees every year.

Most animals don’t have butt cheeks. That said, they still do get messy buttholes sometimes…

Teeming Millions: http://fathom.org/teemingmillions
“Meat flaps, yellow!” - DrainBead, naked co-ed Twister chat
O p a l C a t
www.opalcat.com

Obviously you’ve never seen a dog wiping itself along the grass or better yet the living room carpet. For that matter, I don’t know how much we’d notice our own “mess” if we weren’t wearing underwear which crept on up to be stained. And, as Opal pointed out, your typical animal doesn’t have buttcheeks.

“I guess one person can make a difference, although most of the time they probably shouldn’t.”

Yeah, this is pretty high on the disgusting meter alright, but what the hell - ain’t the first time one of us has brought up a disgusting topic, right? Anyway, I have two cats. They don’t have butt cheeks and I’ve never found their do-do on anything, so my guess is that most of the time cats do a clean (i.e., not messy) poop, and if anything remains, they lick themselves clean. Well, that is how cats (and all animals, I think) clean themselves. But I HAVE seen dogs scoot their asses across carpet after taking a dump. As for people, yes, I’d think the butt cheeks make it messier, but I know in my case, even if I didn’t have butt cheeks, I still have some messy ones, so I don’t want to have to do without t.p. As for our cavemen ancestors: wouldn’t they have used whatever was handy - like leaves, or mosey on down to the local watering hole and wash?

Well this is a pretty discusting topic and I am rightly offended however, I do need to ask this:
Do you ever take a dump and then just as you wipe… your sphincter contracts and kinda disappears and you think “well, no poo poo on the tp,” I just took the perfect shit!"
Then about 30 minutes later when your sphincter is good and relaxed that “awful itching” (as they say on TV) begins as the poo has only been hiding all this time and is now busy messing up your rectum and whitie tighties. Then you have to go back to the bathroom for the clean up…does this happen to other people or is my butt just about worn out?
Oh and animals? My dog hardly ever sits down anyway…she mostly just lies around unless she has a notion to drag her ass on the floor and mark off some yardage.

If you look closely (yes, I have), you’ll see that the dogs anus kinda turns inside-out when it poops. So when it’s done the dirty part goes back in. Cats too.
OK, tear into me, I can handle it. :smiley:
Peace,
mangeorge

I only know two things;
I know what I need to know
And
I know what I want to know
Mangeorge, 2000

No, can’t say I have.

Critters: don’t they run through some water once in a while? Big critters, cows horses, don’t seem to care, it just runs out continuously. Monkeys seem preoccupied with their recrum.

yes, from the looks of this thread, we monkeys are VERY preoccupied with our rectums…
eggo

Wow, this is such a fascinating topic, I just can’t stay away. I don’t know about other big critters, but horses I know, and they don’t poop continuously. They do, however, have butt cheeks, and when I groomed them, that would include washing between the butt crack…and it needed it.
(Well we were riding these guys and didn’t want them to smell! :wink:

mangeorge,

just one question: how long a time of observation did it take you to record this fascinating phenomenon? did you get a government research grant?

if not, you should have.

and the stars o’erhead were dancing heel to toe

Cats lick themselves afterwards. So don’t ever tongue-kiss a cat.

I’ve yet to see another animal that cared. As Richard Pryor noted, horses shit while they walk. Maybe that’s why they’re pestered by flies.

As for humans BTP (Before Toilet Paper), weren’t towels and/or corncobs used?

A friend who spent a month in India reported that, for toilets, they used a small hole in the floor. He also said that everyone walked around with their left hands in inside of their shirts, tunics, shawls, whatever, because instead of toilet paper, they used their left hands. So, when in India, don’t shake anyone’s hand.

Do and you shall be. – Sarte
Be and you shall do. – Camus
Do be do be do. – Sinatra

Or, at least, don’t shake anyone’s left hand.
I believe the Arab culture covers this area when it comes to eating (or doing much of anything) with the left hand.

ah that reminds me of a joke…

person 1: so, what hand do you wipe with?

person 2: my left…

person 1: you wipe with my left hand? ewww…i always use toilet paper

While I am not a vet, it is my understanding that animals which exhibit this behavour are likely suffering with an intestinal worm infestation which causes itching in the anal area, and that this activity is for the purpose of scratching the itch rather than a (conscious?) attempt to cleanse the area. Can anyone else explain this in one sentence using more than 52 words?

“If there’s one thing I hate, it’s superfluous redundancy.” -RedDawg
“Every creative act results from the sudden cessation of stupidity.”
-Edwin Land, inventor of the Polaroid Land Camera

On a related phenomenon, about every 10th dump or so I will arise to wipe and am surprised to see NOTHING in the bowl! Now I’m fairly certain I did not just imagine producing an intestional sculpture, as the evidence of same becomes apparent on the toilet tissue, but the only explanation I can think of is that this one was a “floater” which entered the water with sufficient velocity and appropriate trajectory to propel “it” down and around the curve of the toilet trap, where it is merely hiding until being dispatched in the usual fashion. Hmmm, 73 words in THAT sentence; a new record? I’m just glad I won’t have to diagram it for Miss Mable Grossclose, 9th grade English & Grammar.

“If there’s one thing I hate, it’s superfluous redundancy.” -RedDawg
“Every creative act results from the sudden cessation of stupidity.”
-Edwin Land, inventor of the Polaroid Land Camera

Probably not, but here my explanation. In the neighborhood where I grew up, our neighbors had a pet pit bull who was extremely anal retentive about being clean (I mean he used to clean himself like a cat) and everytime he took a dump he would scoot his butt on the ground, presumably to clean off any residue but the funny thing is that he would also do the butt-scooting thing if you pointed at his butt and laughed. (We were young and had much free time.) In this case at least, I think you can rule out the scooting-for-scratching-not-for-cleaning theory. Maybe they do it for both reasons?

Okay, does that qualify as a “more than 52 words” explanation? After all, it’s more than sixty! (Not including the parentheticals) What do I win?

The Top 10 Greatest Things About Procrastination:

So no other animals have butt cheeks? Is that because we walk upright or something additional God threw in to make us think about the apple when we got kicked out of Eden?

To “aha” only. Nobody else read this, it will really gross you out. Be forewarned.

I think my sphincter is worn also. Now whenever I take a poop and walk around for about 1/2 hour or so (like at the mall) my anal area gets really itchy. I have to go back into the bathroom and re-wipe myself again. I’ll usually find that my sphincter has leaked and the the TP will be messy. I try to avoid this by wiping inside the sphincter when I take a poop. I also have hemorrhoids, I don’t think that helps.

This is to major feelgud only…no one else is allowed to read it.
Major go to the drugstore and buy a can of hygenic cleansing pads. They are especially for hemmorriods. They cost about $3.00. They are round pads soaked in witchhazel and other cleansing soothing ingredients. They can be used in place of TP and are completely flushable. I use them for the first couple of wipes, then on the last wipe I take up the moisture with a regular bit of TP. Quick and easy. For traveling I put some in a ziplock bag and put them in my wife’s purse ( lucky girl). I thought I was the only one using them until I saw Wil Smith on tv saying that he tried them and would never go back to the “dry wipe” again.
:stuck_out_tongue:

“I think it speaks to the duality of man sir.”
(private Joker in Full Metal Jacket)

This is true, for the most part. It’s not only India that uses “a hole in the ground”, it’s most of Asia. In most places, it’s not just a hole, but an actual toilet, albeit Asian style. It is a ceramic slab about 2" high, with a hole in the center and groves on each side for traction (you don’t sit on it, you squat over it). In areas where people have more money, it flushes. Otherwise, it’s the outhouse principle.
People do cleanse themselves with their left hand, but they also wash it and themselves with water. Each bathroom has either a spiget (sp?) or a bucket and a cup (lotha) next to the toilet. When you’re finished, you pour water into your left hand and wash yourself with it. People do not just wipe themselves with their hands and then walk around with their hand tucked into their dawra sawal.
I understand that many Westerners cringe at the idea of cleaning themselves in this manner, but I personally find it to be more sanitary than toilet paper.

“I should not take bribes and Minister Bal Bahadur KC should not do so either. But if clerks take a bribe of Rs 50-60 after a hard day’s work, it is not an issue.” ----Krishna Prasad Bhattarai, Current Prime Minister of Nepal

the dog butt-scooting can be a sign that the dog’s anal glands are blocked. (I don’t know what anal glands do, and I don’t want to know, thank you very much).

our vet told us it’s not a crisis, but if the dog’s doing it a lot, her glands need to be squeezed. when we take our pooch in for her annual check-up, the vet usually squeezes the dog’s butt-area and goop comes out.

and the stars o’erhead were dancing heel to toe