Gong Show Movie?

Wasn’t there a movie made from outtakes from The Gong Show? That was the TV show hosted by a little curly headed guy named Chuck Barris, in which amateur contestants would appear and demonstrate some type of original talent or act and hope that one of the three celebrity judges wouldn’t kick them off stage by striking a large gong. I seem to remember that a movie was made of some of the stuff that couldn’t be shown on TV, probably because it was too raunchy. The movie came and went pretty fast and I never got a chance to see it. Is it available on tape?

“The Gong Show Movie” was released in 1980. The story revolved around Chuck Barris finally cracking from the strain of dealing with all those awful performers. It featured many of the usual judges (Jamie Farr, Jaye P. Morgan, Rip Taylor) as well as favorites like the Unknown Comic and Gene Gene the Dancing Machine.

It does not appear to have been released on video, laser disc, or DVD. I wonder why…

Thanks for dredging up a horrid memory! I actually PAID to see this …this…thing! The ONLY part I can remember laughing at was when Chuck Barris was jogging and a dog jumped out and barked at him (sad, isn’t it?)
I’m surprised Comedy Central hasn’t picked this up (or, perhaps, the Game Show Network).
If you get a chance to see or record it, do so, just you can appreciate Pauly Shore and Adam Sandler more.

I saw “The Gong Show Movie” on cable in college, early 80’s. The only thing I remember is that in one scene, Jaye P. Morgan ripped open her blouse and showed us her nay-nays…for a brief instant (probably for about the same duration that Julie Andrews flashed in “S.O.B.”, a movie for which the sole purpose seemed to be the anticipation of a peek at Mary Poppin’s treasure chest…)

I’m sure you’re all glad I shared this special memory…

Actually, check out Barris’ books. Pretty damn funny, one in particular sorta Hunter Thompson-like… less of HST’s moral indignance, more believable yet ridiculous situations. Seem to recall that it revolved around the “Dating Game” (also a Barris production) being used as a front to send government agents around the country. When they needed to go overseas, hence the Saturday evening program, with trips to Geneva ! or Mexico ! (as opposed to three days in Lake Havasu !)

You thought the Gong Show movie is bad ? Chuck made his name as writer of the early 60’s pop hit “Palisades Park”. Given a choice, which would you rather suffer 24 hrs in an endless loop ?

“Proverbs for Paranoids, 2: The innocence of the creatures is in inverse proportion to the immortality of the Master.”
Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow.

Ah yes, "Palisades Park. Recorded, I believe, by Freddie “Boom Boom” Cannon. I actually preferred another of his hits, “Tallahassee Lassie…she’s got a hi-fi chassis…” Pure poetry.