American badgers vs. British badgers

Why on all of the nature shows that I’ve seen are American badgers in a permanent state of being REALLY pissed off, while British badgers walk right into peoples houses and get treats and pats and seem to be having a fabulous time?

Because they are different species with different habits. American badgers are Taxidea taxis. They are solitary and territorial and are more carnivorous. European badgers are Meles meles. Eurobadgers are social creatures that share communal burrows that eat mostly earthworms. One might expect creatures that live in social groups to be more…well…sociable than solitary creatures.

I think it’s because American shows get better ratings if the animals are dangerous and threatening with names like “When animals attack”. British shows however have David Attenborough talking about the friendly family life of animals so that the English can peacefully sit and drink their tea without too much excitement.
Though all I know about American nature shows is from the Simpsons.

Be VERY wary of British badgers too. I once came home late from a nightclub and found what looked like a hit-by-a-car badger wounded in the road. I wanted to touch it, because I love animals, but something - I don’t know what - held me back.

I called a vet (at 2am - thank god there are so many volunteer wildlife vets) and he came out. He put this forked stick over its neck, to get closer. Well thank god he did. The thing went off its head, spitting and snarling and scratching and trying to bite. (And not from the stick - which wasn’t hurting it by the way - but from the vet bending down closer to it). It was clearly terrified, wild and potentially very vicious.

The vet thought that it looked like the badger was suffering from poisoning/bad food, he took it away. I didn’t manage to find out what happened to it. Maybe it was just violent because it was in pain? Eitherway, I would treat any unknown wild animal with extra caution (thick gloves, keeping distance) from now on.

Which is why American badgers make a nifty school mascot. Though Wisconsin as “The Badger State” is not because of the animal, but rather the living quarters of early lead miners.

[Eddie Izzard]
“Forgive me, Father, I’ve done an Original Sin. I…I…poked a badger with a spoon.”

“Oooh, that’s original, that is.”
[/Eddie Izzard]

I thought this was going to be another animal deathmatch. How dissapointing.