DVD player pausing

I’ve been having trouble with my DVD player in the last few months. While playing music CDs it will all of a sudden stop playing, sometimes for a fraction of a second, sometimes for many seconds, and then start playing again. Occasionally it won’t start playing again and will reset back to the beginning of the disk. Once the player even turned off after about half a minute. Just wondering if anyone knows what could cause this. I do have the player sitting on top of my TV, could this possibly be related?

Originally it only happened when I played CDs on it, but it began happening last night with a DVD as well. From about halfway through it began pausing for about half a second every so often. It’s the new Harry Potter widescreen edition DVD, and it’s the first time a DVD that has done this. Has anyone else had any trouble with this disc?

Sounds to me like you need to clean the dvd/cd. My player does the exact same thing you’re talking about when I try to play a dvd/cd with debree on it.

note: when you clean your dvd/cd’s you should wipe them froms the center out. Do not try to clean them in a circular motion.

Hope that helps. other than that you may just need a better DVD player. Some of the laser readers they have on those things these days are waaaayyy too sensitive.

Here’s some more thoughts on the subject: DVD hiccoughs.