Jobs/Projects you THOUGHT would be easy

Yesterday I decided to put new pedals and toe clips on my bicycle. My new shoes were a bit too big for the old ones.

I head toward the garage with new pedals and a crescent wrench, confident I’ll be done in five minutes. An hour later, I’m cleaning out scraped knuckles and splinting a toe I smashed against a concrete pillar. The job was done, but I was too wounded to ride anywhere.

The old pedals were apparently torqued in by a gorilla, and possibly even spot welded in place. My first wrench, a baby with a 3 inch handle, couldn’t begin to cope. Of course, I refused to recognize this for some time, as my brain kept saying “Push harder”. I lost some knuckle skin to the front chein ring teeth before I decided I needed heavier artillery.

So I went for the big wrench, with the 12" handle. Back up to the apt, back down to the garage, thinking, “I got you now, you bastards!” But I didn’t. The jaws were too wide to fit between the side of the pedal and the crank.

So back to the small wrench, and another round of tugging before I finally realize there’s no way this will work. So I go for the force multipliers, a hammer and a can of WD-40. Squirt a little on, throw a shock into the system with a hammer blow or two, and I should be able to unscrew the rest with fingers. or so I figure.

Still no go. I am shocked, I’ve put a lot of muscle into this and haven’t even got a budge. So I start second guessing myself. I’ve been working on the left pedal, which on bicycles is reverse-threaded, meaing you unscrew it by turning clockwise. I convince myself MY bike mist be different, it MUST work if I turn the other way. So I struggle mightily to turn the nut the OTHER way for a few minutes, until sanity returns. Finally, I figure out this way to brace the bike and pedal against a concrete piller and JUMP on the wrench.

It works!! The wrench turns, my foot slips off the wrench, and my toe smashes against the pillar. Open-toed sandals wasn’t the best choice of footwear for this job.

Then for the SECOND pedal, which is just as tight, but succumbs much faster now that I have figured out how to apply sufficient force.

I stagger back to my apartment, in no mood or condition to enjoy a bike ride. Only later does the irony strike me, that the cost of preparing for a ride was the ability to take a ride. Somehow reminiscent of the quagmire in Vietnam. I won the battle, but I lost the war.

One Sunday afternoon, after returning from a road trip, Mrs. R and I decided to paint the kitchen, since we had a couple three hours left in the weekend.

A week later, the kitchen still wasn’t back together. I did discover that Bondo makes an excellent filler for drywall holes…

There’s a half-built bookshelf sitting in my living room right now. And after I get done with that, I have to start on the desk. :mad:

-Cleaning up a little bit of water on the workbench in my basement.
-Turned out that the water was coming from a pinhole leak in the elbow of the pipe leading to the showehead in the bathroom one floor above.
-The only two ways to get to that elbow was to cut a hole through the TILED wall in the bathroom or the PLASTER wall in the kitchen, opposite the shower.
-Opened a hole in the kitchen wall 18inches wide and 30 inches tall to gain access to the pipe.
-Fixed the pipe by replacing the elbow.
-Fixed the hole in the wall with a drywall patch and construction cement.
-Taped and mudded the seams.
-Sanded down the whole patch.
-Put primer over the whole patched area.
-Cleaned the kitchen walls because now I have to repaint to hide the patch.
-Painted the kitchen bright yellow (originally it was egshell-white).

SO…

My kitchen is yellow because my workbench was wet.:rolleyes:

Almost immediately after moving into our first house in early April, I realized that there was one cable outlet. And it was downstairs. Obviously, the previous occupants had been the kind of fulfilled-by-life, no-time-for-TV types that normally disgust me. :wink:

Anyway, I took a look at the situation and figured I could handle it with no problem in a few hours. Bought the bulk wire, some splitters, the tools and connectors to turn bulk wire into usable connections, and planned my attack. Several months later, as the All-Star Game approached, I finally had the master bedroom upstairs wired. Damn the attic gets hot in June.

Plumbing is the spawn of Satan.

I’ve got two stories because I have two bathrooms.

Upstairs

“Honey, come look at this.”

“This” is a 4x4 tile that has dropped off the shower wall. I reach to the wall and feel the area where the tile has dropped off. The wallboard is mushy. Water is leaking under the wall somewhere. There’s no way this tile is going to reattach to that soft surface.

I pull at the surrounding tiles and, without any effort, lift a half-dozen more from the wall.

OK - I need to patch the wall and replace the shower stall somehow. I decide that I’m going to replace the tile with a fiberglass surround because I don’t feel like messing with trying to do my own tilework.

“Gee, Dear, why don’t we replace the tub while you’re at it, it’s got those nasty chips in the enamel.” It does look bad and this is a perfect opportunity. Rent a truck, get wallboard, the fiberglass surround, & the new tub from the home store.

Remove the toilet to make room. Strip off all the ceramic tiles, haul them out. Pull down the wallboard, haul it out. (All the wallboard has to come out to remove the tub.) Pull out the tub (easier said than done) and haul it out. Now the upstairs bath has visible studs around half its circumference, the tub is missing.

While pulling out the tub I nicked the shower fixture snapping off the stem. The stem is replaceable so I’m off (again) to the Home Despot to buy a replacement. Fully three replacements later, each replacement having not sealed correctly, I’m back again buying an entirely new shower/bath valve. By the way, the shower never did have any shutoff valves so the entire house has had its water turned off for all of this. I buy the copper tubing, valves, blowtorch, etc. to add the valves & fixture during this time, too.

Install the new in-line ball valves for the shower, wrestle the new tub into position. Find that the old drain pipe doesn’t line up with the new drain hole. Spend an afternoon, including another trip to the hardware store, getting the tub level and the drain and overflow lined up.

Take my newly aquired soldering skills for a test drive and install the new shower fixture. Wallboard over the exposed studs (another new skill) & paint.

Since that shower wall connects to our bedroom on one side and our garage attic on the other. I decided that I was going to run a coax cable in that wall before the wallboard was up. This would allow me to bring cable TV to the bedroom. While drilling the hole into the attic, I drilled in the wrong place and made a hole to the outside. This, of course, had to be sealed, too.

Things left to do: The bathroom is in two colors of paint, old & new. There’s still moulding to be replaced. The new tub is about a half inch narrower than the old so the flooring doesn’t reach the tub boundary. That has to be replaced. Gee, while we’re at it, we’re going to replace the vanity, sink & medicine chest. The other side of that cable is still lying unconnected in the attic, too.

Downstairs

One day I notice that there’s water leaking around the base of my toilet. If you’ve been a homeowner for a while, you accept this and run down to the hardware store, buy a new wax seal for $1.25 and replace it.

However, massochist that I am, I decide this would be perfect time to replace the nasty tile that’s in that bathroom, after all, the toilet will be up off the floor already. (The previous owners were the Larry, Moe, and Curly of home maintenance so when they installed floor tile, they didn’t feel it necessary to actually make the tile’s edges touch or anything so mundane.)

So down to the home store with the Wife to pick out a floor pattern. We find one she likes only to find they that store doesn’t have enough. So three stores later I find enough to do the project. It’s simply peel-and-stick urethane squares - easy, right?

I scrape the old floor up. It’s no small task and when I’m done the remaing floor smells like tar and is gloppy with glue. Turns out the Larry, Moe, & Curly used the wrong adhesive which actually never cured. I scrape it up and leave remaining bits to harden.

Now when I peeled the floor up, the bottom track of the folding closet door that was in that bath got peeled up to. Some genius had decided that gluing to the floor was the appropriate installation method and it was destroyed on removal. Given that a flimsy metal door (late 70’s construction) needs both a top and bottom track, this renders the door useless and it needs replaced.

While the remaing glue is curing, my visiting mother gets curious and lays a few unpeeled squares out to see how the finished floor will look. She marvels for a moment and walks off. These tiles will have to be scraped off the floor since they get glued down by the curing original glue.

Finally, the floor is ready for the new tile. I plan, cut, peel & stick may way around the room and it looks good. I bring the toilet back in and turn it over to scrape away the old floor seal. While it’s upside down, I see the reason there was water on the floor. There’s a small, triangular piece of porcelain missing which was filled with the original sealant until it dried too much.

Once again, back to Home Despot for a new toilet and seat. Place the wax seal, seat the toilet, and all finished. My $1.25 wax seal cost somewhere around $300 all told. The new closet door is still waiting to be hung.

I love being a home owner - it’s such a hedge against inflation.

My eagle project, which is a little bit off schedule.

Two weeks ago, I purchased a lateral file cabinet for my home office - one of those “do it yourself” jobbies. I’m pretty good at furniture assembly, and figured it would take half an hour - maybe forty-five minutes. It’s small, after all, and do it yourself furniture is all dowels and cams and easy things.

Not this one. Three hours later, I was just finishing up. Turns out that the company that produced this particular treasure is located in Poland, and doesn’t really understand that there should be more preparation by the manufacturer than sawing the wood into the proper shapes and including the other hardware. Drilling holes so that the screws line up properly, for example, might have been helpful.

The other fun one, also involving furniture assembly, was putting together a magazine rack, about eighteen inches high by twenty-four inches long by six inches wide. This involved two pieces of wood and about eighteen rods, which had to go into holes to join the two pieces of wood. My roommate, who is now a brilliant doctor, bought one at the same time. Mine took two hours. Hers took two and a half.

Another vote for furniture assembly, except my cat ate the instruction diagram.

Am I the only one who found Belrix’s story strangely arousing? I long for a man who knows his way around tools!

Sometimes the easiest sewing projects for me turn into two week marathons. I usually start out by cleaning off the sewing table in the course of general housecleaning. Then I look at the machine and say, “hey, since it’s accessible now, I think I’ll mend the hem on that skirt.” Then once the skirt is fixed, there is that blouse that I cut out two years ago in that drawer…I can whip that thing out in no time. Then when I’m looking in the other drawer for buttons I come across the quilt block kit I bought in 1995, so I put that together. Then while I’m digging in a trunk for a pillow form so I can make the quilt block into a pillow, I find the fabric I bought for the bathroom curtains a year ago…curtains take no time at all. Then since the bathroom curtain is done, I should really put up some curtains in the bedroom…so I go looking for the fabric I bought for that, and find that I also bought enough to make a dust ruffle and a coordinating duvet cover, so now I have to clean the bedroom too, since it looks horrible all messy with new curtains and dust ruffle and duvet. So I pull a bunch of stuff out of the bedroom and dump it on the sewing table until I can sort through it again, and then the pile of clutter blocks the sewing machine, breaking its spell over me for at least another month or two till I clean again.

Am I the only one who found Belrix’s story strangely arousing? I long for a man who knows his way around tools!

Sometimes the easiest sewing projects for me turn into two week marathons. I usually start out by cleaning off the sewing table in the course of general housecleaning. Then I look at the machine and say, “hey, since it’s accessible now, I think I’ll mend the hem on that skirt.” Then once the skirt is fixed, there is that blouse that I cut out two years ago in that drawer…I can whip that thing out in no time. Then when I’m looking in the other drawer for buttons I come across the quilt block kit I bought in 1995, so I put that together. Then while I’m digging in a trunk for a pillow form so I can make the quilt block into a pillow, I find the fabric I bought for the bathroom curtains a year ago…curtains take no time at all. Then since the bathroom curtain is done, I should really put up some curtains in the bedroom…so I go looking for the fabric I bought for that, and find that I also bought enough to make a dust ruffle and a coordinating duvet cover, so now I have to clean the bedroom too, since it looks horrible all messy with new curtains and dust ruffle and duvet. So I pull a bunch of stuff out of the bedroom and dump it on the sewing table until I can sort through it again, and then the pile of clutter blocks the sewing machine, breaking its spell over me for at least another month or two till I clean again.

I worked as an undergraduate research assistant. One of my assignments was to edit transcripts of interviews for analysis in the Linguistic Inquiry Word Count program. This entailed opening Word documents and changing the ummms and uhhhs and you knows to something the program would recognize. Easy, huh?

Nope. By chance, or circumstance, or because I offended the gods somehow, the interviews had been transcribed by someone with a maniacal ear for conversational nuance. Every…single…pause, every “like, you know,” every uh, every endless sentence was right there. Having transcribed interviews myself, I appreciated how much effort had gone into a tedious task. I felt like I was walking into a carefully remodeled and decorated house with a sledgehammer and shouting “All this goes!”

It took forever to work through all twenty-something control and experimental interviews. It wasn’t hard, but it was annoying as all hell. I quickly resolved to remove every possible instance of “you know” from my speech.

I built this in high school woodshop.

It gave more than it took. I now have a lifelong passion for cabinetmaking.

Strangely enough, I know my way around the kitchen & sewing machine, too. I can also crochet & needlepoint. One day I’ll learn to spell and I’ll be really hot.

Looks very nice. Norm would approve :stuck_out_tongue:

I honestly thought that once I finally got my date collected, actually writing my dissertation would take around two months.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Oh man. wipes tears of laughter from eyes

Getting ice out of my freezer. Actually breaking it off of the huge clump of stuck together wedges isn’t all that hard, but for some reason, my hand always hits the door on the exit, and I end up dropping about fifty percent of the cubes. One night, I did it about three times in a row before just pressing my back against the door, putting my cup in the freezer, and putting the ice in it then. It should never be that difficult just to get two cubes of ice.

About eighteen months ago, I went on a 10-week backpacking trip in Europe. Finally, last week, I got around to sorting the photos and making an albumn to stick them in (along with various museum maps, ticket stubs, cookie wrappers, etc etc). Got the albumn made ok, A3 size, 40 pages, and I was thinking there’d be plenty of space for all my photos. When I gave up on Thursday night, I was three weeks and eighteen pages in - you do the maths. I’m going to have to go get more pages from the paper shop, and by the time I’m done this damn albumn is going to be a good 5cm thick, and weigh a few kilos…

But it’s lots of fun going through all my old photos and souvenirs. I think I might just have to go travelling again some time soon :smiley:

I actually collect these stories. I call them Urban Nightmares, and I’ve stashed a few on my website (in the section I call The Vault). Here’s one of my favourites.

"Thanks for your persistent attempts to send the fax over. You are owed an explanation. Here it is.

There’s a little flex that comes out of the back of my phone. I plug it into a nice BT (British Telecom) socket in the wall. When I bought my fax machine, three years ago, I realised it too would want to use the BT socket in the wall. The man in the fax machine shop said this was no problem, and he was right. Because there’s a flex that comes out of the back of my fax machine, and at the end is a clever little box no bigger than my thumb. I plug this magic box into the socket, and then I plug my phone into this magic box. And everything works beautifully. If a voice comes in, it goes to my phone. If a fax comes in, it goes to my fax.

That was the situation a week ago. Then I snagged the wires at the back of the magic box, so it couldn’t be plugged into the wall properly. Oh well, I thought, I’ll have to get a replacement. I thought this would be easy. After all, millions of fax machines have been sold all over the world, and all the sockets are standard nowadays… how hard can it be?

I get in the car and drive down to Purley Way, nr. Croydon, where all the big superstores are. I take the defunct line splitter thingy in with me, so I can show everyone EXACTLY what I’m talking about.

First stop, Comet. A huge branch of Comet, like a soccer field. Do you have one of these thingies that comes out the back of a fax machine and lets the phone and fax feed off one socket? Blank look. Then, a guess: "If we do have one, it will be over there with the ‘Accessories’ " says the assistant.

I go and rummage around myself (the assistants being busy talking to each other about their overtime payments and what they saw on TV last night). It soon becomes clear they don’t have one. I go back to an assistant near the door and I say, “Er… just out of interest, do you actually sell fax machines here?”. “Yes we do, sir” and he points to a spot a few miles away in the store. “And what do you do if a customer buys one and then this bit [I hold up my defunct line splitter thingy ] needs replacing?”. His reaction was utterly blank, as if I had just asked to name seven famous cellists.

Having established that while Comet could find room to stock 700 functioning, on-display television sets (a rough count) they couldn’t find room for a telecoms line splitter, I asked the cellists expert if he knew of anywhere that would stock such an item. He recommended Tandys: “Well, you can’t go wrong with Tandys, can you?”. But that would entail going into Croydon, which I was keen to avoid. Did he know of anywhere nearer?

He shrugged, and suggested Currys, who also have a gargantuan branch just across the Purley Way.

Get in car. Drive across to Currys. Park. Go into Currys. Currys don’t sell anything to do with phones or faxes. An assistant caught my eye, and I said I guessed they couldn’t help me. He confirmed my guess. “What you need”, he said, “is Tandys. Well, you can’t go wrong with Tandys, can you?”. I said I was trying to avoid going into Croydon if I could help it.

The Currys man said in that case, why not try B&Q? I responded with the inquisitive expression that this nonsensical recommendation heartily deserved. However, this man was the sort of self-assured, matey, I’ve-seen-the-world type whom it seems hard to disbelieve. B&Q? “Oh yes”,’ he went on, “You’d be surprised what they stock there these days”. He even gave me one of those they’ll-see-you-right-squire nods that people are always giving me to my face while they talk complete drivel.

So, like a prat, I believe him. Get in car. Drive half a mile up the bypass to yet another vast, sprawling industrial estate. There it is: a B&Q warehouse the size of something very big. The sort of building where the architect probably had to make allowances for the curvature of the earth.

I go in, clutching my defunct fax splitter whatsit. There is a man whose job is to cheerily meet customers and direct them to the appropriate section of the B&Q universe.

“Afternoon sir. Is that a return? Faulty?”, he asks me, nodding at the duff line splitter.
“Er, no, I’m not returning it, I just…”
“Did you buy it here?”
“Here? No. I’ve never been here before…”

This foxed him. Without even trying, I had poured custard in the carburettor of his brain. Why was I bringing something into his store if I hadn’t bought it there, and which wasn’t faulty anyway? What madness be this? I could see his mind was about to melt out of his ears like so much hot cheese, so I calmed him down and explained.

“I just wanted to see if you sold things like this, because I need a new one”.
“Ah, I see. What is it?”
“Well, it’s a connector that allows a fax and a phone to share a single socket”.

He looked as if I had just revealed unto him the secret of fire.

“Right, well, best thing”, he said, “is to go and see the electricians. Aisle eight”.

He gestures me in the direction of aisle eight. I get there, and of course there’s nobody in sight. I look around the shelves. They DO have a very small section devoted to telelcom stuff, but it’s just simple line extensions and similar telephonic tundra. Nothing to solve my problem.

I pass the same man on the way out. “No luck?” he asks in a matey fashion. “Nope, not this time” I say. “What you need…” he begins, and I get the Tandys speech all over again.

I leave. Getting out of the B&Q car park is rather tricky, since every aperture is clearly marked ‘No exit’, and every lane which seems to lead away from the place is marked ‘No entry’. I once read somewhere that every year about 300 people in Britain simply go missing, without ever being heard of again. For a moment, I wonder if maybe they’re all in this car park somewhere, desperate to get out, still believing Heath is in number 10 and worrying about the introduction of decimal currency (“They’ll use it as an excuse to put the prices up, you know”).

I eventually just ignore the silly signs and drive out of the car park, rather suspecting this might cause the sky to start falling. It doesn’t. I am now faced with the option of last resort. I must go to Tandys. Which means parking in Croydon.

I have no idea which bureauprat controls parking in Croydon. I suspect he’s probably called Norman, has a thin moustache and dons a pair of string-backed gloves every time he goes driving. I should imagine he’s had at least one letter on ‘Points of View’, probably to complain about a costuming error in a recent historical drama. ‘A colonel of the period would have had two cuff buttons, not three as so erroneously depicted…’.

All I know for sure about this man is that he’d have Hitler weeping tears of envy, such is the seamless tyranny of his power, the comprehensive visitation of his will upon the landscape. Croydon is the only place on earth where traffic regulations actually out-number bacteria. You VILL use one of ze official car parks. Oh yes, zat is quite ze certainty. Make no mistake, car-driving scum. You VILL obey ze rules.

So I park in the multi-storey, as so must we all, Sieg Heil!!, even if it’s only for two minutes. And I traipse over to Tandys. Well, you can’t go wrong with Tandy’s, can you?

In Tandys there are two people: a man who looks like he knows a thing or two about electrical components, and a girl who looks like she knows a thing or two about frost-effect nail varnish. This is not a sexist statement, it’s an accurate description. The man is busy, don’t you just know it, so I get the girl. I explain the problem. She makes a guess as to what to do next, and then goes off for a chat with the man. She comes back and offers me a Radioshack Dual Outlet Adaptor and TWO Radio Shack Replacement Modular Cords.

“Why do I need TWO?”.
“One for the fax, and one for the phone”.
“The cord from the phone is fine. There’s nothing wrong with it. It’s at home right now, plugged into the wall”. Miss Nail Varnish Expert smiles sheepishly and says “Ah, right”. One of the cords is set aside and not sold to me. She begins punching numbers into the till.

“This dual outlet thingy. Will it automatically divert a phone call to the phone, and a fax to the fax machine?”, I ask.
“It should do” she says.
“Yes, but will it?”.
“Yes. It should do”.
“Whether it should or not isn’t really what I need to know. I need to know if it WILL. Because if it will, then I’ll buy it, and if it won’t, then there’s no point in me buying it because I don’t want it. I only want it if it will do what I just said”.

She goes for another conflab with Mr. Occupied Busy Important Person. and returns with the assurance that it will work. So I buy it, and extract my car from the grip of the multi-storey (50 pence minimum charge), and go home. And I install everything with confidence. Well, you can’t go wrong with Tandys, can you?

Oh yes you CAN. It doesn’t work. None of it. I am no further forward than I was when I set foot in Comet, two and a half hours previously. I can’t help thinking what they must be like, all the people who weren’t good enough to get the jobs currently being done by the people I have dealt with in shops this afternoon.

Well, I’m going to lie down now, and then I’m going to fix myself a nice last meal and then I’m going to shoot myself."

Oh my, oh my…ianzin, that has to be the funniest, most wonderful thing I have read in a long time! I’m wiping away tears right now! Especially the parts about the curvature of the earth and the frost-effect nail varnish!! I don’t know whether to spend the rest of the day reading everything you’ve ever posted or run over to Radio Shack and look for the right part for you! Of course, I can park at the door at my Radio Shack, but it’s not as much fun as yours! (and my first computer was a Tandy).